Joey Baker talks on DBR Podcast episode #238

https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP3546442917

The podcast crew got a chance to chat with junior forward Joey Baker this week and they have many thoughts on playing in an empty Cameron, how this year's team will be different from past Duke clubs, and the newcomers who are really opening eyes in practice so far. Plus, we preview a very winnable game for the Duke football team this weekend. And then we wrap things up with a NBA player who gave a nice parting gift to the unseen heroes of the NBA bubble.

As always, the guys want to hear from you. Drop them an email at DBRPodcast@gmail.com. They respond to every email they get. And don't forget to like and subscribe so you can get each edition of the podcast the moment it is available. And, if you leave a nice review in iTunes, the guys will probably read it on the air.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I enjoyed Joey Baker’s comments and the follow on discussion.

On the football preview, it is absolutely paramount we play a clean game. The defense must get off the field, no second chances given to Syracuse offense due to penalties. Our offense cannot turn it over. Syracuse struggles on offense so our defense must dominate. Good comments by Jason, Sam and Donald.

A point not covered in the podcast but I’m going to discuss it in this thread before going over to the game thread and repeating myself.

Syracuse plays a unique 3-3-5 defense that concerns me. They blitz from various places and attempt to confuse the offense. Our OL has struggled in recent years and this defense will be aligned in ways they’ve never seen. I know we like to establish tempo but this game might be a good one to slow down, play methodical, limit mistakes.
    Bob Green

Baker is sporting a pretty robust beard. I asked him if he was going to keep it and he played coy.

FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Baker is sporting a pretty robust beard. I asked him if he was going to keep it and he played coy.
    Maybe he'll earn the nickname Joey Beard. Everybody already calls him that anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

FWIW.
    I was going to leave that in, Jim, but without the visual of Joey I am not sure it works on a podcast. But, this ain't a podcast so you all can see what it looks like.

Here is a screencap of me and Jim and Joey chatting on the Zoom call:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I enjoyed Joey Baker’s comments and the follow on discussion.

On the football preview, it is absolutely paramount we play a clean game. The defense must get off the field, no second chances given to Syracuse offense due to penalties. Our offense cannot turn it over. Syracuse struggles on offense so our defense must dominate. Good comments by Jason, Sam and Donald.

A point not covered in the podcast but I’m going to discuss it in this thread before going over to the game thread and repeating myself.

Syracuse plays a unique 3-3-5 defense that concerns me. They blitz from various places and attempt to confuse the offense. Our OL has struggled in recent years and this defense will be aligned in ways they’ve never seen. I know we like to establish tempo but this game might be a good one to slow down, play methodical, limit mistakes.
    This is a great point, Bob. Babers' defense is styled so that you don't know where the blitz is coming from, and that means it's really on our OL to make sure they cover each gap to limit the number of places where they can penetrate. Our running backs will need to do a better job of picking up blitzes from the flank as well and buy time for us to throw the ball. Babers employed a lot of these defensive schemes successfully when he was at Bowling Green, and we gotta be ready for it tomorrow.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA