Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gregg Marshall Allegations

Surprised there isn’t a thread about this. I saw a tweet from Bilas about it yesterday, and then the Main Page has a bit on it today. If true, Marshall makes RMK look like a choirboy. Yeesh!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Marshall is a handful. He’s extremely arrogant and has an explosive temper. This was very well known on campus and in the community when he was at Winthrop. He’s a nightmare for a school administrator or an AD. He’s also fiercely loyal to players and assistant coaches. Reports that he only stayed at both Winthrop and Wichita due to being toxic to bigger programs isn’t entirely true. He put’s down roots wherever he goes. A cynic might say he likes increase his degree of control and they might not be wrong.

But if you want a coach who can win with 3* recruits, he’s your guy. I think getting fired might be the best thing for him to learn some boundaries. I would like to see a guy with his coaching ability at Wake or State. Idk the culture at either program. Even a slightly cowed Marshall is going to do it his way and absolutely will not be a team player for the university or Athletic Department. He’s also the guy who will make a complete donkey of himself at kids sporting events. His kids have undoubtably aged out of that by now tho.

If what is being reported is true, there’s no way he coaches again. He allegedly punched a player in the head the same day that player told him his mother had cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    If what is being reported is true, there’s no way he coaches again. He allegedly punched a player in the head the same day that player told him his mother had cancer.
    yeah this is like bobby knight on crack. Like I can tolerate a certain amount of yelling and what not, and some of the situations don't seem so bad in isolation (like, if a player isn't dieting properly or otherwise doing what they need to to get their weight down, they absolutely deserve to get chewed out). But there's a balance...and given the severity of some of the other incidents, in totality it's all way over the line.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    yeah this is like bobby knight on crack. Like I can tolerate a certain amount of yelling and what not, and some of the situations don't seem so bad in isolation (like, if a player isn't dieting properly or otherwise doing what they need to to get their weight down, they absolutely deserve to get chewed out). But there's a balance...and given the severity of some of the other incidents, in totality it's all way over the line.
    I don’t mind a coach who yells, I’m more turned off by demeaning/intimidating antics. If your program is built on those two qualities you’ve got problems and don’t deserve to coach/teach young athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I would never bet against a winning coach getting another shot. That’s a losing bet. I’m not sure I would even bet on him losing his current job. This incident didn’t seem to affect his standing noticeably.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...rsity-montreal

Coach Knight... Coach Pitino... for a couple of them.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Coach Knight... Coach Pitino... for a couple of them.
    Larry Brown over and over again.