Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Glad to hear that clarification. Was beginning to think Jalen would redshirt this year and stay 5 years.
    And then burn that redshirt for a couple of minutes of lackluster play at Syracuse.

Too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For the record, these are selected quotes. Nowhere near the whole enchilada.

Somebody asked Scheyer about Johnson and Scheyer talked about Johnson.

Nobody asked K about Johnson and he didn't talk about him.

Only two questions were actually asked about this year's team.
    Scheyer's comments a few days ago

“Jalen, there’s no question he’s got ability. He has talent,” Scheyer said. “Jalen’s just figuring out, because he can do so many things—he’s not like exactly a four or a three or a five. I think his game is just figuring out, ‘What’s my base? What are my go-to’s?’ He’s refining that. He’s working on it, working on it every day, particularly in half court. That’s something for him to work on. He’s going to be a guy that can play everywhere for us, really, but we just need to help him find out, ‘What’s your base?’ and we can go from here. He’s been fun to work with. He’s done a really great job. His passing—if you’re Joey (Baker), DJ (Steward) or whoever, you like being on his team, because he’s going to find you.”

Seems like the kid is still figuring it out but there are glimpses. I don't expect that he will be RJ Barrett or Jayson Tatum. Maybe a bit below Cam Reddish. Still he will be a match up problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I think that is pretty telling. It suggests to me that he is not getting something. I was convinced that UNC’s Little was going to be a Freshman Star and he was average at best and fairly unimpressive. That is not to say the current crop of Duke Freshman are not going to be good- but this could be a challenging year as none may be ready for the ACC wars. I think these guys will take the good part of a season to show their ability.
    That's almost never Duke's progression under Coach K, though. We're likely going to look awesome in November and December even despite being so inexperienced, and then we'll see what happens when ACC play starts.

As for Jalen, going by the various quotes from teammates and coaches, he sounds a lot like what I expected in the spring. He's going to be a terror in transition but in the halfcourt, he's a work-in-progress since he can't shoot, which makes him an uncomfortable fit alongside Wendell, who's going to play a lot, and a center if we opt to play a center a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    For the record, these are selected quotes. Nowhere near the whole enchilada.

Somebody asked Scheyer about Johnson and Scheyer talked about Johnson.

Nobody asked K about Johnson and he didn't talk about him.

Only two questions were actually asked about this year's team.
    In case ya can't tell, Jim and I were sorta a little bit frustrated at some of the questions asked in today's K newser... not exactly lots of good stuff for the folks who are following the team on a daily basis.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    That's almost never Duke's progression under Coach K, though. We're likely going to look awesome in November and December even despite being so inexperienced, and then we'll see what happens when ACC play starts.

As for Jalen, going by the various quotes from teammates and coaches, he sounds a lot like what I expected in the spring. He's going to be a terror in transition but in the halfcourt, he's a work-in-progress since he can't shoot, which makes him an uncomfortable fit alongside Wendell, who's going to play a lot, and a center if we opt to play a center a lot.
    Yes- I was talking about ACC play. But shooting matters and Duke needs more of it.

But shooting matters and Duke needs more of it.
    Oh, absolutely. I hope Matthew, DJ, and Joey are on the court together a lot.

Oh, absolutely. I hope Matthew, DJ, and Joey are on the court together a lot.
    Shooting matters and D matters. Sadly, hard to find them in the same bodies.

Not on this team, that's for sure. Maybe Hurt, DJ, and/or Joey surprise us. Not counting on it, but hoping.

I'm looking forward to seeing a line-up of Goldwire, DJ, Moore, Hurt, and Jalen. I feel like it's a strong combination between defense, offense, shooting, and leadership. Also, I have high hopes for Jalen as a small-ball 5. He's got the athleticism and the toughness to guard the 5 in certain situations.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

yeah, that's been my take for quite a while...Baker and Hurt can shoot, but who(m) do they defend? Defensive quickness could be challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    It does seem that in recent years many Duke teams have had this issue, with the best offensive players being among the weakest defensive players.
    Sure, that's the lament of pretty much every basketball team and their fans, though. We're always wishing we could combine two players into one.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, that's been my take for quite a while...Baker and Hurt can shoot, but who(m) do they defend? Defensive quickness could be challenging.
    Sure, that's the lament of pretty much every basketball team and their fans, though. We're always wishing we could combine two players into one.
    This is college hoops, not the NBA. How many college teams have scoring threats at all five positions? Hurt will do fine; Baker will do more than OK, given his feistiness.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This is college hoops, not the NBA. How many college teams have scoring threats at all five positions? Hurt will do fine; Baker will do more than OK, given his feistiness.
    Elite college teams are getting better and better at forcing switches until they get the match-up they want, and then running clear outs to exploit them. I wish it were as simple as assigning a defensive liability to an offensively ineffective player, but last year showed that didn't always work out so well, especially for these two guys. I'm more hoping that both have gotten significantly better in the off-season, and the post above about Hurt recognizing and working on his defense is the most encouraging thing I've heard about it so far.

Defense

Someone mentioned zone upthread. I could see this team causing problems in an old-school 2-3 anchored by Williams with two smalls upfront and with Hurt/Baker and Moore/Johnson on the sides.

On offense, I hope they are working on some pick & roll/pop sets, there are a number of combos on this team that could be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenues View Post
    Someone mentioned zone upthread. I could see this team causing problems in an old-school 2-3 anchored by Williams with two smalls upfront and with Hurt/Baker and Moore/Johnson on the sides.

On offense, I hope they are working on some pick & roll/pop sets, there are a number of combos on this team that could be really good.
    A sporkz for your first post. I mentioned zone up thread but was half kidding. Some of us DBR folks have begged for Coach K to use the zone for some of our defenseless teams. And he's gone that direction on a few occasions and it worked. If I'm not mistaken Coach Capel talked K into using it once. Even if the team uses zone, we need the right players to play that kind of defense. In other words, I'll believe it when I see it(zone) for more than a couple of trips down the court.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Even NBA teams don't typically put 5 scoring threats on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Elite college teams are getting better and better at forcing switches until they get the match-up they want, and then running clear outs to exploit them. I wish it were as simple as assigning a defensive liability to an offensively ineffective player, but last year showed that didn't always work out so well, especially for these two guys. I'm more hoping that both have gotten significantly better in the off-season, and the post above about Hurt recognizing and working on his defense is the most encouraging thing I've heard about it so far.
    If there's rim protection, I'm not that worried about switching into a bad matchup. But *is* there going to be rim protection? The comments from players and coaches on Mark Williams have been promising so far. Side note: typically I'm more concerned about opposing guards beating our big men off the dribble after voluntary or involuntary switches.

This write-up of last night's inter squad scrimmage does little to clarify some of our earlier theories...

http://bluedevilnation.net/2020/11/d...lds-scrimmage/

Not one mention of Hurt, Roach the leading scorer, Tapé prominence...mystery abounds.
    Last edited by -jk; 11-07-2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Add an apostrophe after Tape to autocorrect it

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    This write-up of last night's inter squad scrimmage does little to clarify some of our earlier theories...

Not one mention of Hurt, Roach the leading scorer, Tapé prominence...mystery abounds.
    My question after reading the writeup (and seeing the old scrimmage video from weeks ago): is Steward going to be more of a PG than Roach?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post

Bizarre omission, unless Hurt was hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    My question after reading the writeup (and seeing the old scrimmage video from weeks ago): is Steward going to be more of a PG than Roach?
    And how many minutes they get together? It seems that both shot the ball well and assisted as well. Like Billy, I wonder how Hurt played. Baker, Coleman, Tape, Johnson and Wendell mentioned but nothing on Matt.

GoDuke!

Well

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Bizarre omission, unless Hurt was hurt.
    He's always Hurt, right?