Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Brad Stevens Elevated to Head of Basketball Ops for the Celtics

Shams Charania dropped a bomb this morning that Danny Ainge is out and Stevens is now running the show in Bean Town. He will select the next head coach to lead the ship.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...94456129507335

Personally, I've never believed Stevens (or anyone in the NBA, including Quin Snyder) will be the next head coach at Duke. But I thought I would share the news here since it is a frequent topic of conversation.

Woj bomb... Brad Stevens moving into the Celtics front office. Boston will begin looking for a new coach. WOW!!!

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1400094894551617545

Ainge is stepping down and this may set up Stevens to become the new GM.

-Jason "so much for any thought of Stevens coming back to the college coaching ranks... Celtics GM is a job NO ONE walks away from" Evans

edit- DavidBA beat me by seconds
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Shams Charania dropped a bomb this morning . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Woj bomb... edit- DavidBA beat me by seconds
    Just like Shams beat Woj by about a minute on this one...

Yikes. YOOOGE news for some of our Duke faithful.

-Jason "so much for any thought of Stevens coming back to the college coaching ranks... Celtics GM is a job NO ONE walks away from" Evans
    I mean, Danny Ainge walked away from it just this morning. 🤣

Agreed Stevens isn’t leaving the NBA though.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post

And he never was, but I predict people will continue bringing it up anyway.

I did not know Stevens wanted to stop being a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    And he never was, but I predict people will continue bringing it up anyway.
    I completely agree on Stevens to Duke being a nonstarter. Although I will say that a young coach moving into an executive role doesn't preclude him returning to coaching. But if he does return to coaching, I'd imagine it will be at the NBA level. And considering he has no real ties to Duke at all, it never made any sense to me either to think he was going to be a candidate for our eventual vacancy.

Wow! That really is a surprise. Didn't see that particular scenario coming at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I completely agree on Stevens to Duke being a nonstarter. Although I will say that a young coach moving into an executive role doesn't preclude him returning to coaching. But if he does return to coaching, I'd imagine it will be at the NBA level. And considering he has no real ties to Duke at all, it never made any sense to me either to think he was going to be a candidate for our eventual vacancy.
    if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

yeah grasping for straws.
    April 1

Very tidy accounting move. Ainge FRA and bos keeps money on Stevens vs giving him the boot.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Very tidy accounting move. Ainge FRA and bos keeps money on Stevens vs giving him the boot.
    I'm interpreting it as "Stevens is a great basketball mind but maybe not the best at managing an NBA locker room."

So, this may seem harsh, but he never really wins the big one does he?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    So, this may seem harsh, but he never really wins the big one does he?
    To be fair, he was punching above his weight class in those two years at Butler. They were heavy underdogs in both title games. Similar story in Boston with the exception of maybe one year. They just don't have the talent level needed to get over the hump.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I certainly don't know that you're wrong, but its kinda funny because the UVA boards' take has been "That'd make it easier for him to leave the C's and take over Duke in a year or two, wouldn't it?" along with "The Celtics wouldn't take back-to-back college coaches, right? And Mrs Bennett is from Louisiana and hates the cold, right?"

Edit - The point being, everyone usually jumps to their own personal worst-case scenario on interesting news.

Coach K should totally succeed Brad Stevens!!!!1!! Nobody could ever turn that job down!
    Wait, is that not how you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Coach K should totally succeed Brad Stevens!!!!1!! Nobody could ever turn that job down!
    Wait, is that not how you do it?
    Ha ha...

Good joke but it is not a joke to wonder if Kara Lawson might be under consideration. I know it is a long long long long shot and that she probably feels like she hasn't yet done anything at Duke, but it ain't impossible to imagine.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ha ha...

Good joke but it is not a joke to wonder if Kara Lawson might be under consideration. I know it is a long long long long shot and that she probably feels like she hasn't yet done anything at Duke, but it ain't impossible to imagine.
    What? Not impossible in the sense that it doesn't violate the laws of physics as we understand them, I suppose, but that's about it.

I know that going from the NBA to the NCAA is not a normal career path, but I never saw Stevens as an NBA guy.

Just sayin’.

Ha ha...

I just had the same thought. Lawson and Stevens were on the same staff. It would be a bold choice and only because Lawson is so unexperienced. Then again, she has NBA experience.