• Lennon

10 43.48%
  • McCartney

11 47.83%
  • Other (George or Ringo)

2 8.70%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lennon? Or McCartney?

Saw this poll elsewhere. As a Beatles fan, loved them both, but, gotta pick one so...
    McCartney..

Sir Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Saw this poll elsewhere. As a Beatles fan, loved them both, but, gotta pick one so...
    McCartney..
    WOW... BiG Beatles fan here... and never thought I would have to pick *one*. So... what about 1/2 of each... total 1.

To me. It is like if you had 2 kids. Can you pick one over the other???
    Last edited by gep; 09-30-2020 at 11:35 PM.

Both of them are among the greatest in popular music history as far as a combination songwriter/vocalist/musician goes. And George Harrison ain’t far behind.

I honestly don’t see how a person can choose one over the other. But if a gun were put to my head it would be John. He had an extra element of genius/creativity that Paul does not have. Ask Paul, he’ll tell you.

Lennon. Although George wrote some of my favorite Beatles’ tunes tbh.

Lennon easily. That shouldn't cast any shade on Paul or George or even Ringo. The assemblage of talent there was pretty amazing.

Lenin or Stalin?

Wait, that's PPB.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Looks most like my husband? When he puts his round sunglasses on, definitely Lennon. In his passport photo from when he was in college, definitely McCartney. In general though, Harrison.

despite a grad school prof (for good reason, I thought) saying that "synergy is bull***t, I'm going to invoke it here. Something about how the two of them worked together was simply amazing, even when one or the other primarily wrote a certain song.
    Neither (IMO) ever came close to producing the magic they once had after they parted ways.

Up until '67, it would have been easy to pick John. But after the death of Epstein, Paul became the guiding hand/force that kept the Beatles together and moving forward. Without him, there probably wouldn't have been a SPLHCB or Abbey Road or Let it Be. Or at the least, they would have been very different.
    And then there is post Beatles...

Definitely go with Paul. Not to diminish what John did, but Paul was the man.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

I'm always trying to decide between 'A Day in the Life' (Lennon) and 'Hey Jude' (Paul).

Hey Jude usually wins, but I love John's poetic/playful side.

Paul's Music is better though.

I'll go John.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    despite a grad school prof (for good reason, I thought) saying that "synergy is bull***t, I'm going to invoke it here. Something about how the two of them worked together was simply amazing, even when one or the other primarily wrote a certain song.
    Neither (IMO) ever came close to producing the magic they once had after they parted ways.
    Paul said only around 30% were written by both of them. Usually, the lead singer wrote all or most of a tune. A notable exception was Paul's Eight Days A Week, which was primarily a Lennon vocal.

Lennon wrote my most favorite Beatle songs. As someone pointed out, McCartney was the one that kept them going after Epstein died, was the most consistent song writer and with out a doubt the leader. But George was my favorite (seemed to be the kind of person you could've had a genuine conversation with).
    Dana Carvey had a good line about Lennon and McCartney in the Beatles, where (something to this effect) "it was the only band either of them could have been in and still had doubts whether they were the best individual in that band" ... after Abbey Road, they probably would've considered George in those same thoughts.

I got the chops -- Sirius XM Beatles channel usually on while motoring. John put the band together, was the clear leader for years, and wrote and sang much of the earlier work. As John began to have other interests, McCartney continuing dedication to song-writing and music brought him more to the fore. George's later Beatles songs have risen in popularity with time. The band broke up 50 years ago -- but not really. Paul simply announced he was going to release a solo album, but it was taken as a break up of the band. They legally dissolved at the end of 1970.

I don't have a definitive answer to the question.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

It's a toughie, but I'll go with my usual tie breaker and vote for the left handed guitarist.

Quick quiz: Who was the other lefty Beatle besides McCartney?

In a word, Lennon.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    It's a toughie, but I'll go with my usual tie breaker and vote for the left handed guitarist.

Quick quiz: Who was the other lefty Beatle besides McCartney?
    Ringo..

Lennon. The voice of the Beatles, for the most part.

This was hard for me, though, since I'm a bass player, so I have a soft spot for bassists. And a lot of Paul's bass work is iconic and really creative.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Lennon. The voice of the Beatles, for the most part.

This was hard for me, though, since I'm a bass player, so I have a soft spot for bassists. And a lot of Paul's bass work is iconic and really creative.
    Bass player, fluency in Japanese, master of the RSV virus, sometime wizard on the golf course. You're making the rest of us look, uh... untalented?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Lennon