Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sir Thomas Sean Connery — RIP

2020 keeps doing its thing. BBC reporting that Sean Connery has died at age 90.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Oh man

The greatest Bond of them all. "Bond, James Bond". 2020 has been a year to forget when it comes to those people we've lost.
    RIP 007.

Nooooooooooooo!

I hope he’s having one shaken, not stirred, in heaven right now.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-54761824

Farewell Danny Dravot! A rich and wonderful life. Oh wow, a magnificent person.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Bond, James Bond certainly his most famous role but he had other great roles. I thought he was fantastic as Malone in The Untouchables.

RIP.
    Bob Green

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    No, double oh gives you license to kill, not die

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Bond, James Bond certainly his most famous role but he had other great roles. I thought he was fantastic as Malone in The Untouchables.

RIP.
    Other great roles like: The Untouchables, Dragonheart, A Bridge too far and The Hunt for Red October, just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    2020 keeps doing its thing. BBC reporting that Sean Connery has died at age 90.
    I'm calling it people! This year ends on October 31. Not negotiable. Happy New Year, everyone! If we can add a day to February every once in awhile I see no reason why we can't just add two months to 2021.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

This one stings. Such a charismatic actor. When he was on screen, you could not stop looking. Of course, I grew up loving him as Bond but he absolutely made films like The Hunt for Red October, The Rock, The Untouchables, and other moderate action fluff into something with more heart and substance.

And if you have not seen his greatest film, The Man Who Would Be King, then you really need to see it. An amazing film with such scope and emotion. I bet less than 10% of the people who read this have seen that movie in decades... do yourself and watch it this weekend... one of the greats.

Jason “the end of that film, when Michael Cain reveals his ‘package’ to Rudyard Kipling, is unreal” Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

So sad. Such a talented actor. Bond was his best role but he had so many others. Others above have done a great job of covering the list but I would also like to add his role as Indiana Jones' father - he wasn't winning any Oscars for that one, but it showed his range and sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    So sad. Such a talented actor. Bond was his best role but he had so many others. Others above have done a great job of covering the list but I would also like to add his role as Indiana Jones' father - he wasn't winning any Oscars for that one, but it showed his range and sense of humor.
    And in his later years, he really disliked being associated with the Bond films. He knew like most of us Connery fans that he was more than just a James Bond character. He was not good but great in every film I was blessed to watch.

Absolutely second Jason’s recommendation of The Man Who Would Be King. Different pacing than those used to mainly modern films — but a true classic once you get into the story’s rhythm.

You mean Ramírez wasn't his greatest role, where he got to mock Scots?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    And in his later years, he really disliked being associated with the Bond films. He knew like most of us Connery fans that he was more than just a James Bond character. He was not good but great in every film I was blessed to watch.
    I'm not positive I've ever seen a Bond film from start to finish. (I know, that's just wrong.) I remember him best as Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Other great roles like: The Untouchables, Dragonheart, A Bridge too far and The Hunt for Red October, just to name a few.
    The Last Crusade. And I loved seeing him as Agamemnon in Time Bandits.

RIP Mr. Bond.

Grew up on Bond, kids loved The Rock and Indiana Jones Sr. - so good he spanned generations.

Sean Connery

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This one stings. Such a charismatic actor. When he was on screen, you could not stop looking. Of course, I grew up loving him as Bond but he absolutely made films like The Hunt for Red October, The Rock, The Untouchables, and other moderate action fluff into something with more heart and substance.

And if you have not seen his greatest film, The Man Who Would Be King, then you really need to see it. An amazing film with such scope and emotion. I bet less than 10% of the people who read this have seen that movie in decades... do yourself and watch it this weekend... one of the greats.

Jason “the end of that film, when Michael Cain reveals his ‘package’ to Rudyard Kipling, is unreal” Evans

Saw it on the big screen at BioSci Freewater Film society while at Duke. Two great actors and amazing visuals on location I assume in India or Nepal. Don't miss it!

Among those not mentioned, his uncredited cameo at the end of the otherwise not-so-great Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was a lot of fun, and his performance opposite Michelle Pfeiffer in Russia House was excellent. He'll be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Among those not mentioned, his uncredited cameo at the end of the otherwise not-so-great Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was a lot of fun, and his performance opposite Michelle Pfeiffer in Russia House was excellent. He'll be missed.
    I've always liked that scene at the end of Robin Hood knowing that Connery donated his $250K fee to charity.