Loss of former Duke football player/Professor Emeritus

Colonel George Fewell Dutrow, PhD

https://www.youngfuneralhomes.com/ob...George-Dutrow/

He was co-captain of the 1958 Orange Bowl team and an honorable mention All American right halfback. He also played first base on an ACC Championship Duke baseball team. RIP.
    Last edited by chrishoke; 09-30-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

An extremely varied and productive life. May he RIP indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    He was co-captain of the 1958 Orange Bowl team and an honorable mention All American right halfback. He also played first base on an ACC Championship Duke baseball team. RIP.
    He and Wray Carlton were the running back tandem for Duke in the late 50s. About the time I became a Duke fan.

Prayers. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    He and Wray Carlton were the running back tandem for Duke in the late 50s. About the time I became a Duke fan.

Prayers. RIP.
    On the 1956 team the backfield had Hal McElhaney (sp?), Carlton, and Dutrow at running back and a QB named Sonny Jurgensen.

Quote Originally Posted by dukejim1 View Post
    On the 1956 team the backfield had Hal McElhaney (sp?), Carlton, and Dutrow at running back and a QB named Sonny Jurgensen.
    But Jurgensen didn't get to pass much if I remember correctly. I guess with those running backs, keeping the ball on the ground wasn't too bad an idea. I guess Murray was the coach.

GoDuke!

But Jurgensen didn't get to pass much if I remember correctly. I guess with those running backs, keeping the ball on the ground wasn't too bad an idea. I guess Murray was the coach.

GoDuke!
    Blurb from GoDuke --
    For his career at Duke, Jurgensen was 77 of 156 for 1,119 yards and six touchdowns. He also managed to rush for 243 yards on 99 carries and intercept 10 passes as a defensive back.
    Best stat was the ten interceptions.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Blurb from GoDuke --

Best stat was the ten interceptions.
    Agreed. I remember Sonny w/ a bit off a paunch - hard to envision him as a DB grabbing ints.

OIP.jpg
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Agreed. I remember Sonny w/ a bit off a paunch - hard to envision him as a DB grabbing ints.

OIP.jpg
    That may be what happens when you play until you are 40. Hoops coach Harold Bradley wanted him to play basketball. When in the NFL, he was reasonably fast, beating fellow QB Bill Kilmer in wind sprints per the WaPo and outrunning QB Roman Gabriel in a TV skills competition. Both were much younger.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Sonny Jurgensen was an all-state basketball player at Wilmington High School (now New Hanover H.S.). He was an all-state catcher and likely could have made the majors as a catcher; imagine trying to run on that arm. He was an outstanding youth tennis player.

He was an outstanding DB at Duke. But he was hampered both by injuries and very conservative offensive philosophy. Duke used to have teams where no one had double-digit catches over the course of the entire season.

Ace Parker was an assistant on those Duke teams and he had lots of NFL contacts. Parker made sure those contacts knew that Jurgensen had everything needed to be a standout NFL quarterback.

Sonny made the NC Shrine game as a basketball player not football player. He was quite an athlete and one of my favorite Redskins players. Take that Billy Kilmer.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I went to high school with Colonel Dutrow's daughters. One was a Morehead Scholar at UNC and the other was Class of '87 at Duke.

Sonny made the NC Shrine game as a basketball player not football player. He was quite an athlete and one of my favorite Redskins players. Take that Billy Kilmer.
    I'm pretty sure he also made the NC East-West game as a football player. He just picked hoops.

And, yes, I've never forgiven George Allen for starting Kilmer over Sonny in the Super Bowl against Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I'm pretty sure he also made the NC East-West game as a football player. He just picked hoops.

And, yes, I've never forgiven George Allen for starting Kilmer over Sonny in the Super Bowl against Miami.
    The story Jurgensen told was that after the football all-star game, the players sat around and talked about where they were going to college. Sonny implied that the discussion led to a number going to Duke.

I think it was East-West game, but there was also a NC-SC game.
    Sage Grouse