Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post

Do you see similar patterns with Cut?
    There are some similar trend lines.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I attended a game played against The Citadel in 2004. At the beginning of the second half, we lateraled into our own end zone for a Citadel touchdown to get within four points.

We put the game away only when our big, lumbering tailback Justin Boyle ran for for 83 yards -- it turned out he was the fastest man on the field.
    I will never forget that game or that run.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Do you see similar patterns with Cut?
    Although the question was not directed at me and it has nothing to do with VT, I'll post some stats:

Grobe 77-82 (42-62). Grobe had quick success in 2001 as he was 2 years removed from a bowl game. He only went to 1 bowl in the last 5 years of his tenure.
    Cut 72-82 (34-64). Cut had a bigger rebuild but has done better later in his tenure. We've had bowls 2 of the last 4 years, which probably matches the admin's goals.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Although the question was not directed at me and it has nothing to do with VT, I'll post some stats:

Grobe 77-82 (42-62). Grobe had quick success in 2001 as he was 2 years removed from a bowl game. He only went to 1 bowl in the last 5 years of his tenure.
    Cut 72-82 (34-64). Cut had a bigger rebuild but has done better later in his tenure. We've had bowls 2 of the last 4 years, which probably matches the admin's goals.
    Fair point on administration goals, but we are definitely on a trajectory where frequent bowls are not going to be happening. ACC wins are going to be like hen's teeth for us.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Fair point on administration goals, but we are definitely on a trajectory where frequent bowls are not going to be happening. ACC wins are going to be like hen's teeth for us.
    Maybe we can keep scheduling the University of Alabama and say its like a bowl game.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Maybe we can keep scheduling the University of Alabama and say its like a bowl game.
    Yeah, it's a scene when those guys visit...after the last time their (amiable) fans visited, I had my customary chat with the ambulance/first aid crew over on the visitor's side, and they told me that beyond the shadow of a doubt, more Bama fans succumbed to the WW heat (and apparently alcohol) than any group they'd ever encountered. It didn't affect their amiability, but it did affect their verticality.

Yeah, it's a scene when those guys visit...after the last time their (amiable) fans visited, I had my customary chat with the ambulance/first aid crew over on the visitor's side, and they told me that beyond the shadow of a doubt, more Bama fans succumbed to the WW heat (and apparently alcohol) than any group they'd ever encountered. It didn't affect their amiability, but it did affect their verticality.
    Maybe we should try LSU for a 1:00pm game in WW.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Duke is going to get VTs best on Saturday. Their coaches, players, and fans are really fired up after the Duke blowout exposed them for being soft last year. VT really toughened up after that game and finished strong.

A lot of their fans are not happy with Cut faking the punt after being up by over 20 in the 4th. Word is that the coaches are working that angle pretty strong and to look for a very motivated VT effort on Sat.

former players Wray and Koppenhaver not pleased with the recent efforts, this via their Tweeters...

former players Wray and Koppenhaver not pleased with the recent efforts, this via their Tweeters...
    Wray Carlton?

GoDuke!

Link?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Link?
    it's over on the Devils Den, I'm personally not a Tweeter.

it's over on the Devils Den, I'm personally not a Tweeter.
    09E51498-CACF-48D7-A535-162298A7D7A7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    "Ya'll?" Why wouldn't he use "we?"

Seems a bit suspicious to me. Twitter accounts get hacked all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Ya'll?" Why wouldn't he use "we?"

Seems a bit suspicious to me. Twitter accounts get hacked all the time.

81694133-1B25-43BB-8304-0DB587706B08.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Maybe I could have read that at one time in my life. Maybe. But in 2020. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It feels like I haven't seen Cut fired up about anything in years. Early on in his tenure I loved listening to his interviews (pre-game, post-game, midweek, whenever).
    This. And the team reflects it, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    This. And the team reflects it, frankly.
    Cutcliffe wasn't a rah-rah guy in 2013 or 2014 or 2015 either. He's always maintained that fiery pregame speeches wear off too quickly to have any real impact. If you're looking for fire and brimstone, you're looking in the wrong place. It's just not in his DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Cutcliffe wasn't a rah-rah guy in 2013 or 2014 or 2015 either. He's always maintained that fiery pregame speeches wear off too quickly to have any real impact. If you're looking for fire and brimstone, you're looking in the wrong place. It's just not in his DNA.
    I'm not talking about yelling/screaming or anything "fiery", I just mean having any detectable amount of pep, zest, or enthusiasm in his voice at all. I'm also not talking about how he talks to the team (how would I know about that, I'm not on it?) I'm talking about how he talks to the media/fans. I would describe his tone/demeanor as much more subdued the past 5 years than the 5 before that. Yes he has always been pretty even keeled, but I think there has been a change.

I haven't seen him in a non-Zoom context since the beginning of spring ball, back in early March. So, I can't compare. What some people see as a lack of energy others see as trying to stay calm under trying circumstances. It is my understanding that the team has been challenged in practice in recent days. Whether they respond to that challenge is something we'll find out down the road.

Sometimes a team just stops listening to a coach. Not saying that has happened to Duke and Cut. But it is not an unheard of phenomena.