Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke 5 on 5 practice video

Thanks for posting, this is great. Are guys wearing tape over earrings instead of just taking them out?

For everyone's benefit - the new guys' numbers:

Jalen Johnson - 1
    DJ Steward - 2
    Jeremy Roach - 3
    Jaemyn Brakefield - 5
    Patrick Tape - 12
    Mark Williams - 15
    Henry Coleman - 34

there are an awful lot of cuts in there for being ""uncut"
    1200. DDMF.

Thanks for sharing!

Are #2 and #34 wearing athletic tape over earrings, air pods, something else?

Have to get through a lot of that 9 minute video to see some Hurt and Moore highlights.

In his lone appearance, the former redshirt freshman who always looked like he just got out of bed and forgot to comb his hair looks like he has abandoned all pretense of personal hygiene since the pandemic started. 🤣

Joey was hitting some shots. Is this a Duke team that is both quick and tall?
    I think it was Coleman and Williams battling down low, looking impressive (and did I mention, tall!).

Holding out hope we get to see this team compete for real.

That was good for the soul. Thank you!
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Probably can't form any true impressions from an early scrimmage where we pretty much only see the shots that go in, but (a) Joey Baker looked really good; (b) Jaemyn Brakefield looked more polished than I expected; (c) Jordan Goldwire appears to have improved once again; (d) I was surprised to see DJ Steward playing point; and (e) Mark Williams looks tall (duh) and coordinated (a good combo).

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Probably can't form any true impressions from an early scrimmage where we pretty much only see the shots that go in, but (a) Joey Baker looked really good; (b) Jaemyn Brakefield looked more polished than I expected; (c) Jordan Goldwire appears to have improved once again; (d) I was surprised to see DJ Steward playing point; and (e) Mark Williams looks tall (duh) and coordinated (a good combo).
    Steward is a legit combo guard, and primarily played the point at his original HS (Fenwick - played 2 years there), though his scoring ability was evident from the get go

While there appeared to be very little D being played...

-Roach's quickness jumps off the screen
    -I enjoyed watching the Roach v Steward match-ups
    -Agree about the polish on Brakefield
    -We didn't get to see Jalen Johnson do much with the ball in the half court
    -Agree that Keenan Worthington looked like a Wookie
    -Tape is the big fundamental
    -Steward has such a delicate touch on his shot
    -Joey looked extremely intense, no surprise, let's hope it doesn't translate into fouls
    -It seemed like Wendell was also handling the ball a bit
    -Jordan is back to a short hairstyle and looked strong

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Thanks for posting, this is great. Are guys wearing tape over earrings instead of just taking them out?

For everyone's benefit - the new guys' numbers:

Jalen Johnson - 1
    DJ Steward - 2
    Jeremy Roach - 3
    Jaemyn Brakefield - 5
    Patrick Tape - 12
    Mark Williams - 15
    Henry Coleman - 34
    Looks to be a team that will push it. Big question is can they rebound the ball against big teams- yes looking at UNC. I will wait to see if anyone but Baker can hit from deep.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Looks to be a team that will push it. Big question is can they rebound the ball against big teams- yes looking at UNC. I will wait to see if anyone but Baker can hit from deep.
    Hasn't Hurt shown he can hit from deep?

If we're relying on last year's stats, Hurt can shoot. Hurt shot 39.3% on 3.5 attempts per game. Baker shot 39.4% on 2.5 attempts per game.

The question is whether Steward can be a reliable third shooter. He has a reputation, but so did Kennard. And Kennard shot a poor 32.0% his freshman year (compared to a sick 43.8% his sophomore year. Is Kennard our best shooter since JJ?).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Defense was not shown, nor rebounding. I thought that any player on our schedule would see this video and look to immediately transfer to a school NOT on our schedule. Terrific!

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Defense was not shown, nor rebounding. I thought that any player on our schedule would see this video and look to immediately transfer to a school NOT on our schedule. Terrific!
    Of course there wasn't much defense and rebounding shown, it's a highlight video and it's an intrasquad scrimmage which means we would more than likely focus on seeing an image of Roach missing a bad contested shot as poor offense instead of seeing it as great defense from Goldwire.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    While there appeared to be very little D being played...

-Roach's quickness jumps off the screen
    -I enjoyed watching the Roach v Steward match-ups
    -Agree about the polish on Brakefield
    -We didn't get to see Jalen Johnson do much with the ball in the half court
    -Agree that Keenan Worthington looked like a Wookie
    -Tape is the big fundamental
    -Steward has such a delicate touch on his shot
    -Joey looked extremely intense, no surprise, let's hope it doesn't translate into fouls
    -It seemed like Wendell was also handling the ball a bit
    -Jordan is back to a short hairstyle and looked strong
    So it sounds like that THIS may be the year that K uses more than an 8 man rotation. Right? Obviously there's Matt and Wendell, plus a likely lottery pick in Jalen, and the vets Jordan and Joey who both looked good. With Steward and Roach both capable of playing point, Brakefield looking polished enough to earn minutes, and two bigs in Tape and Williams...

We've been down this road before folks. I hope this is the year that our depth is a strength for the whole year, but I'm not holding out hope
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

"the whole year" from scott dude

How many games - days - is a year nowadays?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    "the whole year" from scott dude

How many games - days - is a year nowadays?
    Good point... time as a concept is definitely a bit "fuzzy" right now (reminds me of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series, which I'm reading now). Some days feel like they are actually a week, others just a few hours. Good news is if a year actually has more days now, that has to mean more basketball. Right? Right?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Good point... time as a concept is definitely a bit "fuzzy" right now (reminds me of Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series, which I'm reading now). Some days feel like they are actually a week, others just a few hours. Good news is if a year actually has more days now, that has to mean more basketball. Right? Right?
    Maybe it’s a leap year.

For folks who are not regular listeners, Donald, Sam, and I spend 20 minutes dissecting the 10 minutes of video Duke put out on the team. Hope ya'll enjoy it: https://traffic.megaphone.fm/VMP3840410802.mp3
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

One question I have is how good Jalen Johnson is going to be? By all accounts a one-and-done, and it would seem he will be Duke's most talented player this season, but based on his recruiting ranking (#11 RSCI), the comparisons shouldn't be to Jabari Parker (#3) or Brandon Ingram (#4) or Jayson Tatum (#3). in most seasons, Duke players in this range are not surefire stars.

Below is a table of all Duke players in the RSCI era ranked from #9 to #14, along with their freshman year performance.

Code:
    Player			Fr Year	RSCI	fr mpg	fr ppg	Yrs in college
    Gerald Henderson	2007	10	19.3	6.8	3
    Jalen Johnson		2021	11	?	?	?
    Marques Bolden		2017	11	6.5	1.5	3
    JJ Redick		2003	11	30.7	15.0	4
    Matthew Hurt		2020	12	20.5	9.7	2 (so far)
    Rasheed Sulaimon	2013	12	29.2	11.6	3
    Tre Jones		2019	13	34.2	9.4	2
    Derryck Thornton	2016	13	26.0	7.1	4*
    Justise Winslow		2015	13	29.1	12.6	1
    Greg Paulus		2006	13	32.3	6.7	4
    Gary Trent		2018	14	33.9	14.5	1
    Frank Jackson		2017	14	24.9	10.9	1
    Chase Jeter		2016	14	7.9	1.9	4*
    Ryan Kelly		2010	14	6.5	1.2	4
    Shavlik Randolph	2003	14	19.2	8.2	4
    * includes seasons played for schools other than Duke

As you can see, it's a mixed bag. Only 3 out of 14 (21%) went pro after one season, and an equal number couldn't even crack the rotation. Nine out of 14 (ten if Matthew Hurt stays for his junior year) stayed in college at least three seasons.

The best performances on this list came from shooting wings (Redick, Trent), and the worst were big men (Bolden, Jeter, Kelly). The other successful freshman seasons, while not necessarily shooting wings, almost all could still shoot (Hurt: 39% from three; Jackson: 40%; Winslow: 42%; Sulaimon: 37%; Randolph: 37%), or were lead guards (Tre Jones, Derryck Thornton, Greg Paulus).

According to Johnson's scouting report, he's not a very good shooter. The best comparison on this list is probably Gerald Henderson, who was shorter than Johnson but like Johnson was primarily a slasher without much of a shot. Next best would be guys like Justise Winslow or Shavlik Randolph, who were both big contributors but not really stars. Well, maybe Winslow was a star, but mostly because of his defense, which I haven't heard is one of Jalen's defining characteristics.

Maybe Wendell Moore can have a Winslow-like season, and maybe Matthew Hurt can be an upperclassman Ryan Kelly, but this Duke team needs a *star*. I hope Jalen Johnson can rise to the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    One question I have is how good Jalen Johnson is going to be? By all accounts a one-and-done, and it would seem he will be Duke's most talented player this season, but based on his recruiting ranking (#11 RSCI), the comparisons shouldn't be to Jabari Parker (#3) or Brandon Ingram (#4) or Jayson Tatum (#3). in most seasons, Duke players in this range are not surefire stars.

Below is a table of all Duke players in the RSCI era ranked from #9 to #14, along with their freshman year performance.

Code:
    Player			Fr Year	RSCI	fr mpg	fr ppg	Yrs in college
    Gerald Henderson	2007	10	19.3	6.8	3
    Jalen Johnson		2021	11	?	?	?
    Marques Bolden		2017	11	6.5	1.5	3
    JJ Redick		2003	11	30.7	15.0	4
    Matthew Hurt		2020	12	20.5	9.7	2 (so far)
    Rasheed Sulaimon	2013	12	29.2	11.6	3
    Tre Jones		2019	13	34.2	9.4	2
    Derryck Thornton	2016	13	26.0	7.1	4*
    Justise Winslow		2015	13	29.1	12.6	1
    Greg Paulus		2006	13	32.3	6.7	4
    Gary Trent		2018	14	33.9	14.5	1
    Frank Jackson		2017	14	24.9	10.9	1
    Chase Jeter		2016	14	7.9	1.9	4*
    Ryan Kelly		2010	14	6.5	1.2	4
    Shavlik Randolph	2003	14	19.2	8.2	4
    * includes seasons played for schools other than Duke

As you can see, it's a mixed bag. Only 3 out of 14 (21%) went pro after one season, and an equal number couldn't even crack the rotation. Nine out of 14 (ten if Matthew Hurt stays for his junior year) stayed in college at least three seasons.

The best performances on this list came from shooting wings (Redick, Trent), and the worst were big men (Bolden, Jeter, Kelly). The other successful freshman seasons, while not necessarily shooting wings, almost all could still shoot (Hurt: 39% from three; Jackson: 40%; Winslow: 42%; Sulaimon: 37%; Randolph: 37%), or were lead guards (Tre Jones, Derryck Thornton, Greg Paulus).

According to Johnson's scouting report, he's not a very good shooter. The best comparison on this list is probably Gerald Henderson, who was shorter than Johnson but like Johnson was primarily a slasher without much of a shot. Next best would be guys like Justise Winslow or Shavlik Randolph, who were both big contributors but not really stars. Well, maybe Winslow was a star, but mostly because of his defense, which I haven't heard is one of Jalen's defining characteristics.

Maybe Wendell Moore can have a Winslow-like season, and maybe Matthew Hurt can be an upperclassman Ryan Kelly, but this Duke team needs a *star*. I hope Jalen Johnson can rise to the challenge.
    Thanks Kedsy for those stats and some logical thoughts on how Jalen's freshmen season may go. Didn't Jalen switch schools his senior season? I seem to remember some posters saying that could have caused his ranking to be low. However, that won't change the fact he's not a good shooter which is a concern.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Thanks Kedsy for those stats and some logical thoughts on how Jalen's freshmen season may go. Didn't Jalen switch schools his senior season? I seem to remember some posters saying that could have caused his ranking to be low. However, that won't change the fact he's not a good shooter which is a concern.

GoDuke!
    I had to look it up to refresh my memory. From his wiki page...

In 2019, Johnson transferred to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida for his senior year. On January 5, 2020, he left IMG Academy, before returning to Nicolet, though not necessarily to play basketball. He was ruled eligible on February 8 to play the remainder of the season for Nicolet after never playing in a game for IMG. As a senior, Johnson averaged 24.6 points, 10.9 rebounds and 4.8 assists in 9 games.

So yes, a little bit of an interesting senior year.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."