Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    It is two months until basketball season starts. I'm hoping for a rally from the football team.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Just one question for those calling for Cut's removal: Who are you proposing to replace him with? And only consider those coaches that would deign to come to Duke to coach. I am not giving up on Cut ... he has done too much for this program for me to do that, even given the performance of the past 2+ years.
    You've hit the nail on the head with angry football fans. The grass may be brown or green on the other side. Top coaches might stay put this year for a bigger payday in 2021, and I'm not sure Duke will be paying P5 market prices thanks to lost revenue this year. I think Cut will return unless he just wants to retire.

It's going to be a long season, but I don't think it's 0-11. We've got 5-6 games left against peer competition.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    We may get a bye next week if VT has 23 players out with COVID-19.
    That underhanded VT team is currently beating the snot out of State, 34-10 early in the 3rd quarter.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I truly admire David Cutcliffe. He came to Duke at a time when keeping football at the Division 1 level was being debated. He breathed life into a dead program, he brought an enthusiasm not seen in Durham, save the Spurrier years, for decades.

There’s been an obvious decline seen on the field for the past, what, 3-4 years? If Duke wants to continue with the status quo, so be it. Cut showed how difficult it is to revive a moribund program, I fear his successor will have to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That underhanded VT team is currently beating the snot out of State, 34-10 early in the 3rd quarter.
    It was apparently pretty close to being cancelled by VT. VT wasn't one of my 5-6 peer teams that we could beat.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Just one question for those calling for Cut's removal: Who are you proposing to replace him with? And only consider those coaches that would deign to come to Duke to coach.

I am not giving up on Cut ... he has done too much for this program for me to do that, even given the performance of the past 2+ years.
    Greg Roman...and yes, he will take the job...the issue is whether Duke will pay him

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    Greg Roman...and yes, he will take the job...the issue is whether Duke will pay him
    Why would he take the job? What is the allure for him?

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I think it has really hurt us this year to have been the last team in the ACC to bring back our players.

Don’t get me wrong, I am glad Duke has been cautious when it comes to our Covid protocols, and our results speak for themselves.

However, many teams began to report on June 1.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/acc-f...-return-dates/

Contrast that with our return date of July 12th.

I’m normally not one to make excuses. But, coupled with our other issues, I think this fact has really hurt.
    Of course it did. This is NOT a usual season.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    14 turnovers in 3 games leads nation.
    We're #1...we're #1!

Duke's recruiting ceiling

It's obvious that Duke's recruiting standards are higher than some. But how much higher? And to what effect?

I don't know how to weigh the impact of Duke's recruiting standards. ND, Stanford and Vandy are rough comparables. They do pretty well.

Is the recruiting standards issue overblown? If it isn't, it imposes a ceiling on the level of our football competitiveness.

I would appreciate insights from those who know more than I do about this recruiting standards issue.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He wants his shot to be a head coach
    He loved his time at Stanford and knows how to build a winner at an academic school
    He wanted the BC job when it was open

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    people continue to take the UNC coaching job, no? So there's gotta be some allure for jobs that may seem externally unpalatable.
    April 1

Can Coach Cut improve?

Among my other activities, I am an executive coach. I work with highly gifted people who have accomplished much. However, when I am asked to work with an executive, it is because a flaw has become destructive and can no longer be ignored.

Some of my coachees own up to their faults and do the hard work of eliminating them. Others do not. For a variety of reasons they do not/cannot own up to their faults. They deny, rationalize and continue on their self-destructive ways.

I am curious about Coach Cut. He is a supremely good person, highly ethical with total integrity. Coach is always quick to take accountability after miserable outings. But is he accountable and aware enough to do the hard work of looking at himself at the deepest level?

It is one thing to acknowledge that a particular game was not well-coached, but it takes much more personal courage, integrity and humility to consider the possibility that one might have to make major changes in one's philosophy and practices.

Coach Cut brings so many positives to Duke football and to our university I wish that he would take a long, hard look at how he is currently coaching, so that the necessary corrections can be made.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

He loved his time at Stanford and knows how to build a winner at an academic school
    Hang on... are you talking about the Greg Roman who is the Offensive Coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens? The guy who just won assistant coach of the year in the NFL? The guy credited with building the most potent offense in the NFL around Lamar Jackson? You think that guy is coming to coach at Duke?

Greg Roman is going to get a ton of NFL head coaching interviews when there are openings this winter. There is no way he would consider one of the lower-tier programs in Power 5 college football.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Jim Sumner recap on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...fe-chase-brice

Money quote:

SEVEN TURNOVERS.
    Bob Green

The Play!

I could not believe the play Cut called for Calhoun to pass the ball. As soon as I saw it develop, I said, oh no and boy was it an oh no. Duke had been running the ball effectively on that series and I thought this is the team that can win some games. But after that play fell apart, I'm afraid our season might have fallen apart. For the season, Jackson has run for 126 yards with a 4.2 yards per and Durant has 66 yards with a 6.6 yards per. The offensive line was beginning to open some holes and then The Play.
    Now for the defense, I know the D has been pretty good considering they have to stay on the field longer than 2 college football teams combined. But so far color me unimpressed with Mr. Chris Rumph II. He looks to be playing for the camera. He has 13 tackles and 5 of them solo. He has 1 sack. Carter and Waters our 2 safeties have 10 & 9. But as I said, defense is not the problem. It's our offense. I did not think I would ever see a worse play call like the one against the Cheats but I saw one yesterday that sure rivals the cheat play call. I'm not sure we win a game this season.

GoDuke!

Think about it

We have now lost to two unranked teams by greater margins than we did to the then tenth ranked Irish at their place...and we were in position to have a shot at winning that one well into the second half. Please do something to stop the bleeding. Why accept a return to the dark days before a change is made?

Wasn’t that 8 years ago? I don’t see that happening. And if somehow Roman came and in five years led Duke to a championship - how long would he last? At best Duke is a stepping stone. Cut has made Duke respectable and perhaps his time is nearing an end but Duke has been down this road before- it is not going to be easy to win at Duke and hold on to a coach that does. Duke’s financial priority in the next three years will be replacing K. That is critically more important to the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    No. This job is Cuts until he decides to leave. Not saying I agree, just don't think this admin has the stomach for a football coach search.
    Yes. Time for Cut to retire. He and Spurrier can be ball coaches emeritus. Perfect. Need youth. Cut is more like QB consultant guru.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    It's obvious that Duke's recruiting standards are higher than some. But how much higher? And to what effect?

I don't know how to weigh the impact of Duke's recruiting standards. ND, Stanford and Vandy are rough comparables. They do pretty well.

Is the recruiting standards issue overblown? If it isn't, it imposes a ceiling on the level of our football competitiveness.

I would appreciate insights from those who know more than I do about this recruiting standards issue.
    Duke's recruiting standards for football admits were considerably lowered when Cut arrived. Not saying we don't look for high quality young men with an academic mindset but just looking at SAT/GPA and the like Duke isn't much higher than other places (and certainly not for any 4 or 5 star recruit that would have an interest). This cannot be used as an excuse anymore.