Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I agree that perpetually running on first down is generally a losing strategy, and I believe there are analytics that this is true even at the pro level.

Remember the old saying, "There are only three things that can happen on a passing play, and two of them are bad?" Poppycock. What about a run play? Let's look at the possibilities, shall we?

1) Fumble the handoff.
    2) Get stuffed at the line of scrimmage.
    3) Fumble the ball after a gain.
    4) Get tackled in the backfield for a loss.
    5) Make a small gain (<3 yards)
    6) Make a medium gain (6-9 yards)
    7) Break one (>9 yards).

So, by my calculation, on a first down, there are 7 things that can happen, and 5 of them are bad.
    A curious take on things. Teams--not even Duke--don't fumble 28.6 percent of the time. And why are 2 and 4 different things? Maybe a run of 9 plus yards, a run of 12 plus yards, a run of 15 plus yards, a run of 18 plus yards, et. al. are all different possibilities.

There's nothing inherently wrong with running on first down. Virginia Tech ran on first down against NC State last week and it seemed to work out pretty well for them. But you have to be good at it, which Duke isn't, and it can't be predictable, which Duke is.

I remember some conversations I had with Zac Roper about throwing deep on first down. In his view the risks of likely going 2nd-and-10 outweighed the unlikely rewards of hitting a big one downfield. That's a great attitude if you are dominant at the line-of-scrimmage. Which Duke isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I agree that perpetually running on first down is generally a losing strategy, and I believe there are analytics that this is true even at the pro level.

Remember the old saying, "There are only three things that can happen on a passing play, and two of them are bad?" Poppycock. What about a run play? Let's look at the possibilities, shall we?

1) Fumble the handoff.
    2) Get stuffed at the line of scrimmage.
    3) Fumble the ball after a gain.
    4) Get tackled in the backfield for a loss.
    5) Make a small gain (<3 yards)
    6) Make a medium gain (6-9 yards)
    7) Break one (>9 yards).

So, by my calculation, on a first down, there are 7 things that can happen, and 5 of them are bad.
    It was Woody Hayes, and the quote was "Three things can happen when you throw a forward pass and two of them are bad." Which is true. Completion is good. Incompletion and interception are bad.

When it comes to running, if you want to simplify it to the level that Woody did, you'd have to say that three things can happen when you run the ball, and two of them are bad. Run for positive yardage is good. Run for negative or no yardage is bad, as is fumbling.

But both of those are very much oversimplifications of the kinds of considerations that go into playcalling, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    It was Woody Hayes, and the quote was "Three things can happen when you throw a forward pass and two of them are bad." Which is true. Completion is good. Incompletion and interception are bad.

When it comes to running, if you want to simplify it to the level that Woody did, you'd have to say that three things can happen when you run the ball, and two of them are bad. Run for positive yardage is good. Run for negative or no yardage is bad, as is fumbling.

But both of those are very much oversimplifications of the kinds of considerations that go into playcalling, obviously.
    Darrell Royal at Texas.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Darrell Royal at Texas.
    If Woody Hayes didn’t say it, he certainly believed it (as well as attacking players on other teams that made great plays). A THE Ohio’s State tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Actually I don't. Can you refresh us on that?
    March 27, 2014-although he covered his bets by saying he would be at Duke for 5 years or more. Of course that means he could say he might coach another (open ended) X number of years beyond 5.
    He was the best coach in NCAA ball and maybe all of bball for many years - just no longer. His time is past and we owe him untold thanks, but he would do himself and Duke a great favor by stepping down. Unfortunately his ego and rigidity will not allow such

Quote Originally Posted by soflabluedevil View Post
    March 27, 2014-although he covered his bets by saying he would be at Duke for 5 years or more. Of course that means he could say he might coach another (open ended) X number of years beyond 5.
    He was the best coach in NCAA ball and maybe all of bball for many years - just no longer. His time is past and we owe him untold thanks, but he would do himself and Duke a great favor by stepping down. Unfortunately his ego and rigidity will not allow such
    "or more" seems like a not insignificant part of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "or more" seems like a not insignificant part of the sentence.
    Certainly one way to look at it. So how long should he coach-until he’s 80? 85? Or until he literally dies in office, the route most of our S. Ct. Justices take?

Not sure where things stand, but Cut's contract extends thru 2022 I think, so this is often the time when coaches ask for and get extensions...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not sure where things stand, but Cut's contract extends thru 2022 I think, so this is often the time when coaches ask for and get extensions...
    Technically June 30, 2023.