Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Or if you have to retcon the Kessel run
    That wrankled me for years.

Han Solo said "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs". Sounds like a parsec is being used as a unit of time.
    After the fact, Star Wars apologists (or novelists) suggested that the "Kessel Run" is an 18 parsec route that Solo accomplished by traveling near a black hole (thank you special theory of relativity) in only 12 parsecs. Time/Space whatever. It's shorter, right.

Brought to you by the people who use light-year as a unit of time, and measure the speed of light in furlongs per fortnite.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    That wrankled me for years.

Han Solo said "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs". Sounds like a parsec is being used as a unit of time.
    After the fact, Star Wars apologists (or novelists) suggested that the "Kessel Run" is an 18 parsec route that Solo accomplished by traveling near a black hole (thank you special theory of relativity) in only 12 parsecs. Time/Space whatever. It's shorter, right.

Brought to you by the people who use light-year as a unit of time, and measure the speed of light in furlongs per fortnite.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I just entered comment #934 in the "Words you dislike? Or really like?" Off-Topics Thread that relate to the use of the term "Parsec" in the Star Wars movies. If interested, please check it out.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Case #1 - USS Nimitz - 'tic-tac' UFO sighting – 2004

Case #2 USS Roosevelt - ‘Gimbal’, 'Go Fast' UFO sightings - 2015

Case #3 UFO swarm over Washington, DC – 1952

Case #4 Rendlesham, England - UFO in Forest – 1980

Case #5 Phoenix lights - triangular shaped UFOs – 1997

Case #6 Flight 1628 - Japanese cargo jet and 3 UFOs in Alaskan airspace – 1986

Case #7 Pilot Bowyer - Alderney UFO sighting – 2007

Case # 8 O'Hare International Airport - UFO sighting - 2006

Case #9 Melbourne Australia - school sighting of UFO -1966
    In 1966, over 300 children and staff from a Melbourne school reportedly witnessed multiple UFOs silently flying through the sky before landing in a nearby field.

An American physicist known for his research into UFOs, Dr. James E. McDonald, conducted an interview with a science teacher from the Westall school, Andrew Greenwood, who witnessed the event.

He then recorded himself describing their meeting and the creepy details Mr. Greenwood gave about his experience. “Greenwood told me the UFO was first brought to his attention by a hysterical child who ran into his classroom and told him there’s a flying saucer outside,” Dr. McDonald said.

“He thought this child had become deranged or something so he didn’t take any notice, but when the child insisted that this object was in the sky he decided to go out and have a look for himself.”

When he went outside, he noticed a group of children looking toward the northeast area of the school grounds and as he approached them he claims he saw a UFO hovering close to the powerline.

Mr. Greenwood described it as a round, silver object about the size of a car with a metal rod sticking up in the air.
    According to Dr. McDonald, the teacher then told him five planes came and surrounded the object as more people began gathering to watch the scene before them.

“He called it the most amazing flying he had ever seen in his life,” Dr. McDonald said.

“The planes were doing everything possible to approach the object and he said how they all avoided collision he will never know.

“Every time they got too close to the object it would slowly accelerate, then rapidly accelerate and then move away from them and stop. Then they would take off after it again and the same thing would happen.”
    This game of cat and mouse reportedly went on for about 20 minutes and by this time Mr. Greenwood said 350 children and staff were watching on.

Suddenly the UFO shot away and vanished within seconds and it was at this point the headmaster came out and ordered everyone to go back to class.

Fox news article about Melbourne, Australia school sighting.

Joy Clarke was 12 and a half at the time and vividly remembers the events that occurred that day.
    “I was in class when students rushed in and told us the story. We rushed down to the oval and I saw three flying saucers on that day,” she told news.com.au

“My personal belief is they weren’t of this world. They were definitely from somewhere else because I have never seen anything like it all.

“The army had arrived and the police were there. We were told we were hysterical and it didn’t happen, while men in black interviewed some of the other kids.”

Terry Peck was playing cricket on the school oval when she saw the saucer and decided to chase it to Grange Reserve.

“I was about six metres away from it. It was bigger than a car and circular. I think I saw some lights underneath it,” she told the Herald Sun.

“Two girls were there before me. One was terribly upset and they were pale, really white, ghostly white. They just said they had passed out, fainted. One was taken to hospital in an ambulance.”

The now-56-year-old said no time was wasted in covering up the incident.

“We all got called to an assembly ... and they told us all to keep quiet,” she said.
    “I’d absolutely just like someone to come forward from the services just to say ‘yes, it did happen, and it landed and there was a cover-up’.’’

Jacqueline Argent said she was one of the first three kids over the fence to look for the UFO landing site.
    “Originally I thought it must have been an experimental-type aircraft, but nothing has emerged like that after all these years,’’ she said.

The now-58-year-old told how she was called into the headmaster’s office and interrogated by three men immediately following the incident.

“They had good-quality suits and were well-spoken,” she said.

“They said, ‘I suppose you saw little green men’.

“I spoke to my parents about it at the time and they were pretty outraged.’’

Stephen Cairns also claims to have witnessed the strange phenomenon.

The then-seven-year-old was living in Dandenong and walking to school with his mother after a dentist appointment when it occurred.

“In the distance I saw a silvery disc-like object. However, at first, it was so far away I was not quite sure what it was,” he told news.com.au

“The silvery disc-like object moved with amazing speed until it was directly above us ... it hovered for a few moments then, as quickly as it came, it flew away.

News.com.au article with the above eyewitness quotes.

If we were capable of emotion, we would be laughing. Your species amuses us.

Case #1 - USS Nimitz - 'tic-tac' UFO sighting – 2004

Case #2 USS Roosevelt - ‘Gimbal’, 'Go Fast' UFO sightings - 2015

Case #3 UFO swarm over Washington, DC – 1952

Case #4 Rendlesham, England - UFO in Forest – 1980

Case #5 Phoenix lights - triangular shaped UFOs – 1997

Case #6 Flight 1628 - Japanese cargo jet and 3 UFOs in Alaskan airspace – 1986

Case #7 Pilot Bowyer - Alderney UFO sighting – 2007

Case # 8 O'Hare International Airport - UFO sighting - 2006

Case #9 Melbourne Australia - school sighting of UFO -1966

Case #10 Mexican Air Force - films 11 UFOs - 2004
    The video, filmed by pilots using an infrared camera, shows 11 bright objects moving rapidly in the sky.
    The Mexican defense ministry confirmed the videotape had been filmed by members of the air force, but did not comment on its content.

The objects were reported to be invisible to the eye - the pilots turned on the infrared camera to track them after three of them were picked up by the radar.

In a taped interview, the plane's radar operator Lt German Marin said he had felt "a little afraid because we were facing something that had never happened before".

Interviewed by Jaime Maussan, the captain of the aircraft, Maj Magdaleno Castanon, said they had chased the lights.

"I believe they could feel we were pursuing them," he said.

"There was a moment when... the screens showed they were behind us, to the left and in front of us. It was at that point that I felt a bit tense."

BBC article about event.

This case is interesting for a couple of reasons. First off, it was from the Mexican Air Force, a credible group of trained observers outside of the United States, highlighting that the UFO phenomenon is world-wide. Secondly, it happened in 2004, the same year as the USS Nimitz case. Interestingly the object was not visible to the naked eye but only to radar and the state of the art infrared cameras on the military aircraft. Yet, as the pilots said, the UFO were matching the aircraft speed and maneuvering around the aircraft, ruling out the normal UFO skeptic's explanations, i.e. weather, equipment malfunctions, meteors, etc.

Metal monolith found in remote Utah desert...

https://ksltv.com/449486/dps-crew-di...ilderness/amp/
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post

So, an unidentified un-flying object?

Pretty remote, inaccessible part of Utah. Random little canyon. Tough to transport and get it in the rock Theories?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Pretty remote, inaccessible part of Utah. Random little canyon. Tough to transport and get it in the rock Theories?
    Placed there by NASA during the fake moon landing photo shoot. 😜

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    How is the flag waving on the moon?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    How is the flag waving on the moon?!?!?
    Phhht. You suckers believe in the moon?

Interesting, hopefully we will hear more details about this.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I won’t worry until they find a similar one buried on the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I won’t worry until they find a similar one buried on the moon.
    Check with the Chinese. They're headed there.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Phhht. You suckers believe in the moon?
    (Mind blown).

How do I subscribe to your newsletter?!?!

(Mind blown).

How do I subscribe to your newsletter?!?!
    Put on a tinfoil hat, lean towards the East at dusk, and they're beamed to you in podcast form.

Venmo: opk@bunchamalarkey

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Check with the Chinese. They're headed there.
    And now we know why.

Next stop: Jupiter and Beyond.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Give an artist a pandemic, and they will find something totally cool to do out in the middle of nowhere.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Give an artist a pandemic, and they will find something totally cool to do out in the middle of nowhere.
    Is this an admission? ChristoBornAndBred?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Thoughts on logistics? By donkey in sections? It looks like it was driven into the rock, that’s what gets me.