Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

UAP & ET - Do you believe?

I have always wanted to believe in Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) and extraterrestrials (ET) but was a healthy skeptic. “Show me the evidence” was my mantra. I have two science degrees, a BS in Biology and a MS in Geography (GIS).

After the release (April 27, 2020) of the USS Nimitz UFO sightings in 2004 and the USS Roosevelt UFO sightings in 2015 I started looking into the UFO phenomenon. I have gone down the rabbit hole so to speak and have been blown away by some of the cases I was not aware of.

The question for me, is no longer have UFOs visited earth, as there can be little doubt that they have visited but instead why is there not more interest and more questions? For what is more interesting than the reality of earth being visited by aliens and UFO?

I’m very curious about where most people stand on UFO/ET. So, my questions would be:
    1. Do you believe UFOs have visited earth? Why?
    2. Do you believe extraterrestrials have visited earth? Why?
    3. If you believe extraterrestrials have visited earth, do you actively search for information?
    4. If you don’t believe extraterrestrials have visited earth, are you open to believing it?

For those that don’t believe UFO/ETs have visited earth, I propose to present 10 of the most believable cases and see what your thoughts are on whether your mind has been changed or not.

I will follow this post with one case at a time.

I doubt we are alone, but I don't think we've been visited by any of the other folk. Speed of light and distances involved and all that.

Hey, it's 2020, so why not?

It would certainly explain Hollywood. And Congress.

I don't know about aliens, but I have most definitely seen an unidentified object in the sky.

It was in the SE sky as seen from my house just south of Raleigh. I saw one bright light surrounded by a perfect circle of a dozen or so lights. I would say the entire formation was about the size of my fist when my arm was extended out. It appeared as a bright constellation, but not bright enough to see what was causing it. I turned and went inside to get my wife and kids to see it, and in that 30 seconds it was gone completely.

Aliens? Secret military tech? Swamp gas? I have no idea...but I definitely believe in unexplained things in the sky.

I would think it's too soon for aliens to visit, though I do believe we are not alone in the Universe.

Considering that water was likely originally delivered to Earth via asteroids, and given the size of the universe, I feel confident we aren’t the only planet with life on it. But I don’t believe humans nor Earth have ever encountered said extraterrestrial life.

I'm with Packman. I saw a UFO about 30 years ago, but i don't know that it was an alien spacecraft.

I would guess life exists elsewhere – possibly as close as Mars, Venus, Europa, or Enceladus. Liquid water exists today in several (arguably double-digits) Solar System objects. I doubt we've been visited by intelligent life in the form of UFOs, though.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I’m very curious about where most people stand on UFO/ET. So, my questions would be:
    1. Do you believe UFOs have visited earth? Why? No. I have seen no reports of credible evidence in support of it.
    2. Do you believe extraterrestrials have visited earth? Why? No, I have seen no reports of credible evidence in support of it.
    3. If you believe extraterrestrials have visited earth, do you actively search for information? No, plenty of well-equipped folks are already looking. There's no need for me to duplicate that effort.
    4. If you don’t believe extraterrestrials have visited earth, are you open to believing it? I hate the word "believe" here. As with nearly everything, I am open to being convinced by credible evidence. Such evidence would lead me to conclude, rather than believe, that extraterrestrials have visited Earth.
    I highly doubt anything you plan to present will convince me, but I'm willing to follow along and see. (By the way, I am taking "extraterrstrials" here in it's conventional meaning of "sentient life forms from planets outside the Earth's solar system". There are other ways to use that expression, so if you intend some other meaning, please specify the definition you are using.

It’s actually pretty frightening to think about. If they are able to get here and basically go undetected, they are way more advanced than us. If friendly, all good for the most part. If unfriendly, the entire human race could be enslaved or killed off.

With that said, the videos that they released were very interesting and really made me think but at this point, I’m going to stick with no visitors as of now.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I don't know about aliens, but I have most definitely seen an unidentified object in the sky.

It was in the SE sky as seen from my house just south of Raleigh. I saw one bright light surrounded by a perfect circle of a dozen or so lights. I would say the entire formation was about the size of my fist when my arm was extended out. It appeared as a bright constellation, but not bright enough to see what was causing it. I turned and went inside to get my wife and kids to see it, and in that 30 seconds it was gone completely.

Aliens? Secret military tech? Swamp gas? I have no idea...but I definitely believe in unexplained things in the sky.

I would think it's too soon for aliens to visit, though I do believe we are not alone in the Universe.
    What year was your sighting? Was it just hovering?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'm with Packman. I saw a UFO about 30 years ago, but i don't know that it was an alien spacecraft.
    What did it look like? How long was the sighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I highly doubt anything you plan to present will convince me, but I'm willing to follow along and see. (By the way, I am taking "extraterrstrials" here in it's conventional meaning of "sentient life forms from planets outside the Earth's solar system". There are other ways to use that expression, so if you intend some other meaning, please specify the definition you are using.
    I'm not really seeing where you are going with this? a sentient life form versus alien bacteria maybe?

I absolutely believe in UFOs.

It's when people jump to identifying them that I become skeptical. You know, "We don't know what is was so it must be..."

I'm not really seeing where you are going with this? a sentient life form versus alien bacteria maybe?
    Sorry, I meant to extend that definition to encompass "UFOs" as you used it in the first question. I certainly believe there have been many flying objects that have remained unidentified. But your question specified "UFOs have visited Earth", which implies that the unidentified objects did not have earthly origin and were piloted to Earth by the extraterrestrials as defined. I think it is plausible that some "UFOs" are, in fact, extraterrestrial in origin (i.e. meteors), and in some sense they have "visited Earth", but that wouldn't count in the conversation I expect you wanted to have.

I have always wanted to believe in Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) and extraterrestrials (ET) but was a healthy skeptic. “Show me the evidence” was my mantra. I have two science degrees, a BS in Biology and a MS in Geography (GIS).

After the release (April 27, 2020) of the USS Nimitz UFO sightings in 2004 and the USS Roosevelt UFO sightings in 2015 I started looking into the UFO phenomenon. I have gone down the rabbit hole so to speak and have been blown away by some of the cases I was not aware of.

The question for me, is no longer have UFOs visited earth, as there can be little doubt that they have visited but instead why is there not more interest and more questions? For what is more interesting than the reality of earth being visited by aliens and UFO?

1. Do you believe UFOs have visited earth? Why?
    2. Do you believe extraterrestrials have visited earth? Why?
    3. If you believe extraterrestrials have visited earth, do you actively search for information?
    4. If you don’t believe extraterrestrials have visited earth, are you open to believing it?

For those that don’t believe UFO/ETs have visited earth, I propose to present 10 of the most believable cases and see what your thoughts are on whether your mind has been changed or not.

I will follow this post with one case at a time.
    Interesting questions! I admit that I have never seen a "UFO" but (and I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit this) I do watch many of those "UFO shows" on cable television (when I am bored) and I've read quite a bit about this subject. Obviously, there are many people out there who claim that they have seen flying objects that do not appear to be anything from the planet earth. I think a lot of the evidence on these shows is quite sketchy BUT there is certainly some evidence and stories that are hard to explain, other than we've been visited by intelligent creatures from somewhere else. And there are also quite a few people who claim that they have been abducted by aliens (there was a famous and controversial book written by a psychiatrist and professor at Harvard Medical School, who went around the United States, interviewing these "alien abductees", and he even put many of them under hypnosis. He found many of their stories to be quite similar and legitimate and he could not come up with a good explanation for their shared experiences).

There is obviously the problem that UFO's would have to travel incomprehensible distances to get to earth, if they are coming from other solar systems or galaxies. Unless they have figured out how to travel faster than the speed of light OR somehow our understanding of how the universe is set up is incorrect and there may be "time folds" or "wormholes" that would allow much faster travel, then it is hard to comprehend how anyone could get here from another solar system.

Put me in the camp of being "somewhat skeptical" but open-minded that I could certainly be wrong.

I believe it was Arthur C. Clarke who said something along the lines of "we are either alone in the universe or we aren't. Either possibility is terrifying."

The possibility of FTL travel is the key. In the absence of faster-than-light travel the only way interstellar travel makes sense is for a species that has an exceptionally long life span and the capability of building ships and artificial environments that last a really, really long time.

And lots of patience.

Living thousands of years versus faster-than-light travel. Way above my pay grade. Anyone with a doctorate in physics? Or life sciences?

Most importantly, is it too late for these aliens to register for the 2020 elections?

I believe in the Men in Black scenario. There are definitely people walking around masquerading as humans who quite clearly were not born on the same planet as me.

As I get older, I become more convinced that there is no intelligent life in the universe. Not even on Earth.

Well, maybe dolphins.

When I was a kid, my father launched a large weather balloon with cheap flashlight inside it from a cliff right at the eastern edge of the mountains in western NC. It glowed, floating and bobbing on the wind, for as far as we could see it through binocs. Who knows what other folks saw...

If the link works, it was from right at the end of Quail Run not far from the club.

-jk

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I believe it was Arthur C. Clarke who said something along the lines of "we are either alone in the universe or we aren't. Either possibility is terrifying."

The possibility of FTL travel is the key. In the absence of faster-than-light travel the only way interstellar travel makes sense is for a species that has an exceptionally long life span and the capability of building ships and artificial environments that last a really, really long time.

And lots of patience.

Living thousands of years versus faster-than-light travel. Way above my pay grade. Anyone with a doctorate in physics? Or life sciences?

Most importantly, is it too late for these aliens to register for the 2020 elections?
    Am a fan of Asimov who once said there are three possibilities of intelligent life in the universe, 0, 1, or practically infinite. And we are pretty sure it's not 0.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

And lots of patience.

Some people have speculated that perhaps the "UFO's" are really "manned" by highly sophisticated robots (so not really a "living species") that could survive a very long time travel. Also there is the possibility (which I mentioned above) that the universe is somehow set up differently that what we currently believe. See link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wormhole