Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    we had a nice Identified Flying Object over the house on Sunday afternoon, we thought it was the idiot neighbor firing off one of his larger guns, but in fact it was a meteor streaking overhead with a nice sonic boom.
    Are you neighbors a den of Hunter S Thompsons?

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Baker Mayfield saw a UFO. So there’s that.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/bakermayf...34211590488065
    Dude is getting grilled for saying something. His wife Emily corroborated the sighting, writing "I won’t lie... I’m typically not someone who buys into UFO talk. But all I know is... I saw something tonight that I have never seen. And I’m a little thrown off,"

This same article
    states that UFO sightings were up roughly 51% in 2020. There were more than 5,000 sightings reported in the U.S. and Canada as of September.

UFO sightings are so much more common than people realize. Even on DBR we have had a number of people come forward to say they have seen a UFO.

UFO stalker has an interactive map and details of sightings. It is interesting to see the sightings near you. Really highlights the scope of the phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Are you neighbors a den of Hunter S Thompsons?
    I wish, then at least they'd be interesting. Anyone remember Hunter's drunken foray at Duke? It was pretty legendary.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    we had a nice Identified Flying Object over the house on Sunday afternoon, we thought it was the idiot neighbor firing off one of his larger guns, but in fact it was a meteor streaking overhead with a nice sonic boom.
    OOOOH!!! I saw that on the news this morning and was totally wondering if you had heard it! Equivalent to over 400 pounds of TNT.

https://www.livescience.com/vermont-...-explodes.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    OOOOH!!! I saw that on the news this morning and was totally wondering if you had heard it! Equivalent to over 400 pounds of TNT.

https://www.livescience.com/vermont-...-explodes.html
    between the well armed idiot neighbor and the military firing range just a mile or so away, we have trouble keeping track of our noises sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    There's that physicist I was asking for upthread.

What is the distinction between a wormhole and a black hole? Theoretically, is there any way to get through a wormhole without being destroyed?

Asking for a friend.
    Hey Jim,

Noticed this item in recent physics notes:
    https://physics.aps.org/articles/v14...rce=emailalert

With a bit more understanding, they'll figure out ways to keep a wormhole stable enough and large enough to get something through.
    Of course, then you'd have to get to one and run an experiment on either side to see if it works.
    But that's a problem for another day.

In the meantime, I'll see what generic fermions are selling for on ebay. I can make someone a sweet deal on some electrons.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Latest Thinking on Oumuamua

Here is the latest thinking, and information on Oumuamua, as it leaves our inner solar system.
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...comet-asteroid

Not everyone agrees, although those people probably have a vested interest in the "aliens created it" theory.

Remember to clear your browser cookies!

Larry
    DevilHorse

Former Trump DNI on UFOs

It must be made public, and when it is, it will be big, former intelligence director John Ratcliffe said in a recent interview.

“Frankly, there are a lot more sightings than have been made public,” Ratcliffe told Fox News host Maria Bartiromo on Friday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rt-covid-bill/

Of course, Ratcliffe has somewhat diminished credibility in some circles.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    It must be made public, and when it is, it will be big, former intelligence director John Ratcliffe said in a recent interview.

“Frankly, there are a lot more sightings than have been made public,” Ratcliffe told Fox News host Maria Bartiromo on Friday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rt-covid-bill/

Of course, Ratcliffe has somewhat diminished credibility in some circles.
    Oh, Bartiromo on Fox. That sure changes things.

Fox News has an article on the former UFO program chief at the Pentagon, Luis Elizondo, in which he detailed the three leading theories on where UFOs originated from and the five defining characteristics of UFOs that break the U.S.’s current understanding of the laws of physics.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox News
    The Pentagon has presented three potential theories on the origin of UFOs.

The first "highly unlikely" theory purports that UFOs are secret U.S. technology that has flown under the radar due to a lack of communication between government agencies.

The second theory speculates that UFOs are "foreign adversarial" technology created without the intelligence of the U.S. government.

"This would be a huge intelligence failure of [the United States] because we’ve been technologically leapfrogged," said Elizondo.

Elizondo stopped short of concluding that UFOs could be alien technology when discussing the third and final theory.

"If it’s not ours and it’s not [another country] well, then it’s someone or something else."

Elizondo also outlined the five "unique observables" that help to distinguish UFOs from other identifiable aerospace technology.

These characteristics include; instantaneous acceleration, hypersonic velocity, low observability, trans medium travel (the ability to operate in various environments), and positive lift, in which you have vehicles that can fly without the apparent need for control surfaces, wings, or even engines.

"We are seeing these -- let’s call them vehicles, if you will -- that are incurring into controlled U.S. airspace that are displaying performance characteristics that are frankly well beyond anything we can either replicate or in some cases really even understand," Elizondo said.
    The last part about UFOs incurring US airspace is important because this is obviously a hugely important issue that has been investigated to no end and that is troubling to a lot of people. You have a government and military unable to understand security risks and are admitting this to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox News
    Another report that could be released as early as June will detail "never before seen" and "difficult to explain" UFO sightings, according to John Ratcliffe, the former Director of National Intelligence.
    This is also interesting, social media has been able to keep a consistent pressure on the government and media to uncover the phenomenon that has been happening since the 1940s. Before social media it was easy for the government and media to control the narrative through obfuscation. Now, not so much and I would imagine the pressure for more information will be even more intense.

“These characteristics include; instantaneous acceleration, hypersonic velocity, low observability, trans medium travel (the ability to operate in various environments), and positive lift, in which you have vehicles that can fly without the apparent need for control surfaces, wings, or even engines.”

MrsPk’s anger has or displays all five of these traits as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “These characteristics include; instantaneous acceleration, hypersonic velocity, low observability, trans medium travel (the ability to operate in various environments), and positive lift, in which you have vehicles that can fly without the apparent need for control surfaces, wings, or even engines.”

MrsPk’s anger has or displays all five of these traits as well.
    Even the last one? I would have expected more of a "negative lift" effect. Although, presumably the vehicle that flies in that situation is OPK.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Even the last one? I would have expected more of a "negative lift" effect. Although, presumably the vehicle that flies in that situation is OPK.
    Oh, she can fly off the handle with no apparent means of elevation. Bang, we’re at eleven and climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Oh, she can fly off the handle with no apparent means of elevation. Bang, we’re at eleven and climbing.
    If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

The Drive has an article on how Multiple Destroyers Were Swarmed By Mysterious 'Drones' Off California Over Numerous Nights. This article takes a thorough look at the disturbing series of events during the summer of 2019 resulted in an investigation that made its way to the highest echelons of the Navy. UFOs or drones? Seems like overkill if they were drones. And pretty alarming if the Navy can’t confirm that these were drones operated by some crackpots or a nefarious military group. Feels like they had no clue what was going on and were intentionally downplaying the encounter as drones.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drive
    In July of 2019, a truly bizarre series of events unfolded around California’s Channel Islands. Over a number of days, groups of unidentified aircraft, which the U.S. Navy simply refers to as ‘drones’ or 'UAVs,' pursued that service's vessels, prompting a high-level investigation.

During the evening encounters, as many as six aircraft were reported swarming around the ships at once. The drones were described as flying for prolonged periods in low-visibility conditions, and performing brazen maneuvers over the Navy warships near a sensitive military training range less than 100 miles off Los Angeles. The ensuing investigation included elements of the Navy, Coast Guard, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The incidents received major attention, including from the Chief of Naval Operations—the apex of the Navy's chain of command.

[redacted for copyright]
    Last edited by -jk; 03-26-2021 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Copyright. Please post only snips of articles.

That reads an awful lot like "We don't want the public to know what was happening and we don't want them to know that we know what was happening, so here is our report where we pretend* not to know what was happening."

*The person writing the report may well not know, "we pretend" is referring to the Navy (or the government) generally, not specifically to the author(s?) of the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That reads an awful lot like "We don't want the public to know what was happening and we don't want them to know that we know what was happening, so here is our report where we pretend* not to know what was happening."

*The person writing the report may well not know, "we pretend" is referring to the Navy (or the government) generally, not specifically to the author(s?) of the report.
    Maybe but why run it all the way up the chain of command to the Chief of Naval Operations creating a long paper trail? Unless you want to create the paper trail so that it gets uncovered via a FOIA request, like what happened. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Fox News has an article on the former UFO program chief at the Pentagon, Luis Elizondo, in which he detailed the three leading theories on where UFOs originated from and the five defining characteristics of UFOs that break the U.S.’s current understanding of the laws of physics.

The last part about UFOs incurring US airspace is important because this is obviously a hugely important issue that has been investigated to no end and that is troubling to a lot of people. You have a government and military unable to understand security risks and are admitting this to the public.

This is also interesting, social media has been able to keep a consistent pressure on the government and media to uncover the phenomenon that has been happening since the 1940s. Before social media it was easy for the government and media to control the narrative through obfuscation. Now, not so much and I would imagine the pressure for more information will be even more intense.
    Not to be political, but this is one reason you have government officials involved in stuff like this. Although I could be wrong, what Elizondo is saying sounds like a consensus among a lot of very smart scientists and military technical types, who have accumulated knowledge and questions over decades.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not to be political, but this is one reason you have government officials involved in stuff like this. Although I could be wrong, what Elizondo is saying sounds like a consensus among a lot of very smart scientists and military technical types, who have accumulated knowledge and questions over decades.
    There definitely was not consensus among Elizondo and the government. Per the Wikipedia article on the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program AATIP:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    AATIP was headed by Luis Elizondo[citation needed]. Elizondo resigned from the Pentagon in October 2017 to protest government secrecy and opposition to the investigation, stating in a resignation letter to US Defense Secretary James Mattis that the program was not being taken seriously.[15] Elizondo, said on December 19, 2017, that he believed there was "very compelling evidence we may not be alone."[16]

AATIP, through a contract awarded to Bigelow Aerospace Advanced Space Studies (BAASS), has generated a 494-page report that documents alleged worldwide UFO sightings over several decades.[17][18] This "Ten Month Report" has not been released to the public but focuses on reports, plans and extensive analysis of unexplained aerial phenomena.[17] According to one former BAASS contractor, the BAASS report was only a sample of the materials provided to the Defense Intelligence Agency as "monthly reports were being sent to the Pentagon, in addition to annual program updates, that were all about UAP or anomalous phenomena.”[17] The program also funded and published 38 studies.[17][19][20] Those theoretical studies cover a range of advanced, exotic, and theoretical aerospace topics, ranging from "Detection and High Resolution Tracking of Vehicles at Hypersonic Velocities" to "Warp Drive, Dark Energy, and the Manipulation of Extra Dimensions."[17][20][21]

Among the information that has been released by the program are "several short videos of military jets encountering something they couldn't identify".[22] The release of those videos were part of a campaign by Luis Elizondo, now working for To The Stars Academy of Arts & Science, who said that he wanted to shed light on the program.[3][23][24][25][26] The Navy confirmed the authenticity of the videos stating only that they depict what they consider to be "unidentified aerial phenomena".[27][28][29] Susan Gough, a Pentagon spokeswoman, confirmed that the three videos were made by naval aviators and that they are "part of a larger issue of an increased number of training range incursions by unidentified aerial phenomena in recent years.”[30]