Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    how about a transparent space wall so light can get in? A good idea, along with Ali G's that we should land on the sun in the Winter when it is cooler...
    Unless you have air-conditioning, you might have created a model global warming cocoon. Perhaps some piezo-electric shades to shut taper that down would work.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Unless you have air-conditioning, you might have created a model global warming cocoon. Perhaps some piezo-electric shades to shut taper that down would work.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    they have that filmy stuff that keeps a lot of the rays out, we should order maybe a few trillion rolls of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    they have that filmy stuff that keeps a lot of the rays out, we should order maybe a few trillion rolls of that stuff.
    The Mount Tambora eruption in about 1816 created a global dust envelope which led to a "year without a summer." Maybe a re-run. More likely, the Yellowstone caldera will blow, and we'll have something far, far worse.

The caldera formed during the last of three supereruptions over the past 2.1 million years: the Huckleberry Ridge eruption 2.1 million years ago (which created the Island Park Caldera and the Huckleberry Ridge Tuff); the Mesa Falls eruption 1.3 million years ago (which created the Henry's Fork Caldera and the Mesa Falls Tuff); and the Lava Creek eruption approximately 630,000 years ago (which created the Yellowstone Caldera and the Lava Creek Tuff).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Mount Tambora eruption in about 1816 created a global dust envelope which led to a "year without a summer." Maybe a re-run. More likely, the Yellowstone caldera will blow, and we'll have something far, far worse.
    Of course, this could be a man made event that is funded by a grant for the arts. This is inspired by the Edvard Munch painting "The Scream" that is theorized to be a reaction to the sky being blood red from the eruption of Krakatoa from halfway around the world.
    https://www.abc.net.au/science/artic...10/1007062.htm
    Inspiring artists is really what this is about, right?! Everyone benefits.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Of course, this could be a man made event that is funded by a grant for the arts. This is inspired by the Edvard Munch painting "The Scream" that is theorized to be a reaction to the sky being blood red from the eruption of Krakatoa from halfway around the world.
    https://www.abc.net.au/science/artic...10/1007062.htm
    Inspiring artists is really what this is about, right?! Everyone benefits.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I’m pretty sure The Scream captures a man who has just stepped on a lego with his bare feet.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I’m pretty sure The Scream captures a man who has just stepped on a lego with his bare feet.
    I thought they had a new tech for LEGOs to fix that. I saw the video.

-jk

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4116304...le-mid-flight/

They have been teasing us for years, even trolling from Twitter, showing missile tests launched from underwater subs and saying things like, "Do you believe in UFOs?"

Here we are. Why we continued to ignore their ability to create and invent and instead chose to pretend it wasn't happening is a discussion for another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post

They have been teasing us for years, even trolling from Twitter, showing missile tests launched from underwater subs and saying things like, "Do you believe in UFOs?"

Here we are. Why we continued to ignore their ability to create and invent and instead chose to pretend it wasn't happening is a discussion for another forum.
    The Sun is always there first.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by jdk View Post

Like all developments of this kind, though, it is amazing to hear the likes of the NSC talk about the development being a concern for "all who seek peace and stability in the region and beyond." When the other guy has it, it is "destabilizing". When we have it, it is in the interest of security and peace, of course.

Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Like all developments of this kind, though, it is amazing to hear the likes of the NSC talk about the development being a concern for "all who seek peace and stability in the region and beyond." When the other guy has it, it is "destabilizing". When we have it, it is in the interest of security and peace, of course.

Yes, and in addition, our guys don't like to talk about the new secret stuff we have that the other guys are worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

Exactly. In the late 50s there was the "missile gap" hysteria with the old Soviet Union. What it really amounted to was a way for the pentagon to get more money out of congress for their weapons program. Meanwhile, we were hiding under our school desks and building bomb shelters to save ourselves from nuclear war.

Maybe history doesn't repeat itself, but I agree with Oscar Wilde (or was it Mark Twain?) that it often rhymes.

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Exactly. In the late 50s there was the "missile gap" hysteria with the old Soviet Union. What it really amounted to was a way for the pentagon to get more money out of congress for their weapons program. Meanwhile, we were hiding under our school desks and building bomb shelters to save ourselves from nuclear war.

Maybe history doesn't repeat itself, but I agree with Oscar Wilde (or was it Mark Twain?) that it often rhymes.

Section 15
    Ancient history department: there was no "missile gap," despite the claims in 1959 and 1960. When this was discovered early in the Kennedy Administration, Robert McNamara realized how truly awful and lackadaisical the communications form the Defense Department to the Congress and the American public had been -- he started holding daily meetings with his press chief and legislative liaison to help in communications.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'No, I wasn't there at the time, but I worked for years and years with people who were'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The Sun is always there first.
    I'm just here for the pension.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Ancient history department: there was no "missile gap," despite the claims in 1959 and 1960. When this was discovered early in the Kennedy Administration, Robert McNamara realized how truly awful and lackadaisical the communications form the Defense Department to the Congress and the American public had been -- he started holding daily meetings with his press chief and legislative liaison to help in communications.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'No, I wasn't there at the time, but I worked for years and years with people who were'
    I think that was what I was saying. The idea that the Russians were ahead of us, on the basis of being first with sputnik, was cynically exploited by what Eisenhower referred to as the military industrial complex. Our fears and emotions were manipulated, not for the first time and sadly not for the last time. At least that is the way I remember it.

Regards,
    Section 15

New Pentagon unit to track UAP

"The Pentagon has created a new intelligence division exclusively dedicated to investigating unidentified objects that breach sensitive U.S. airspace, to understand both their origin and whether they could threaten national security."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ufos-pentagon/

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    As I get older, I become more convinced that there is no intelligent life in the universe. Not even on Earth.

Well, maybe dolphins.
    I have a friend thats a dolphin.shes a great girl.her names wilma.
    She always visits me when fishing.
    I dont know how she knows its me.

I cant directly feed her .but if a trout or two fall out of the boat. Whoops.

She will come up and chatter .she doesnt try to snatch my fish while reeling them in.

Back to topic i have seen some strange lights on the ocean.not sure what it was.
    Part of me thinks its E.T.other half thinks it may be technology we arent privy too.

Neil De Grasse Tyson Perspective

Just some perspective from Neil De Grasse Tyson to liven up your copious free time:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkjkh3OrjeA

Larry
    DevilHorse

Well, it appears that if Avi Loeb's name appears in any article, we can associate a certain level of skepticism with the claim:
    https://nypost.com/2022/04/22/astrop...ign=SocialFlow

Or at least until he produces some extraterrestrial proof.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Well, it appears that if Avi Loeb's name appears in any article, we can associate a certain level of skepticism with the claim:
    https://nypost.com/2022/04/22/astrop...ign=SocialFlow

Or at least until he produces some extraterrestrial proof.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    You know, I posted an Avi Loeb story about the origins of the universe in the astronomy thread. Maybe should have posted here instead. Tough to know all the time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You know, I posted an Avi Loeb story about the origins of the universe in the astronomy thread. Maybe should have posted here instead. Tough to know all the time.
    The "Did You See That!?" thread and the election threads were known to occasionally cross paths.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."