DBR Podcast #233 - Duke wants to host its own tournament

Listen here --> https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP6577787789

Sam, Donald, and Jason sit down for a potpourri of topics. The conversation begins with a discussion about Duke hosting its own tournament over Thanksgiving and we take some educated guesses at the teams who might be brought in to play.

Then, we move onto the NBA playoffs for a look at Jayson Tatum’s impressive performance, including some eye-popping stats that show how far Tatum has come as a player since his season in Durham.

After a short break, the guys are back to talk about football. We know you might want to forget about that terrible loss to BC, but the podcast crew has a job to do so they break down the good, the bad, and the ugly (and there was plenty of ugly) from the 26-6 debacle.

And we wrap things up with some words on Nolan Smith and Justin Robinson, a pair of former Duke players who each had some pretty cool stuff happen to them this past week.

Remember, if you have a question or a comment for the DBR podcast guys, they can be reached at DBRPodcast@gmail.com. Also, don’t forget to like and subscribe so you get the pod downloaded the moment they drop a new one. And if you leave them a good review, they may read it on the air and make you a star!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Enjoyed the talk/speculation about the schedule. Great call on Howard being a HBCU opponent - since the podcast dropped we have gotten confirmation that a game with them is in fact planned. I personally don't think Duke will look to bring in 5 or 6 ranked teams to play in their own tournament. I think it will be more like 1 or 2 ranked teams and then a bunch of scrub teams. The schedule is shortened but we still have the Champions Classic and the ACC/B10 Challenge. The games that we need to replace on their schedule are the easy wins that allow K to tinker with lineups and players to pad their stats and gain confidence. I also agree with Sam that it makes way more sense to bring in local teams, I don't see a Pac-10 opponent flying across the country to bubble in Durham and then play us. Teams like Elon, Davidson, ECU, UNC-G, App State, etc. would be logically easier to get onto the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Enjoyed the talk/speculation about the schedule. Great call on Howard being a HBCU opponent - since the podcast dropped we have gotten confirmation that a game with them is in fact planned. I personally don't think Duke will look to bring in 5 or 6 ranked teams to play in their own tournament. I think it will be more like 1 or 2 ranked teams and then a bunch of scrub teams. The schedule is shortened but we still have the Champions Classic and the ACC/B10 Challenge. The games that we need to replace on their schedule are the easy wins that allow K to tinker with lineups and players to pad their stats and gain confidence. I also agree with Sam that it makes way more sense to bring in local teams, I don't see a Pac-10 opponent flying across the country to bubble in Durham and then play us. Teams like Elon, Davidson, ECU, UNC-G, App State, etc. would be logically easier to get onto the schedule.
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think you may be right about not having too many studly teams in whatever it is we build for Thanksgiving week. It would be nice to see maybe 4 ranked teams and 4 regional mid-majors of some quality like Davidson UNC-G, Ga State, Winthrop, Chattanooga, Wofford, and so on. None of those teams would be a cupcake, that's for sure!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?