Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    The full ACC-B1G schedule is out. Duke plays Illinois on 12/8, probably at 9:00 or 9:30.
    acc-b1g.jpg

Duke announces Mako Medical Multi-Team Event 12/4-8 co-hosted by Duke and Howard

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    It looks like we have an almost complete non-conference schedule. Duke will host Coppin State on Saturday, November 28th. Now we just need confirmation of the Champions Classic and the ACC-B1G opponent.

11/25: Gardner-Webb at Duke
    11/28: Coppin State at Duke
    12/1: Champions Classic vs. MSU @ Orlando
    12/4: Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
    12/5: Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
    12/8 or 9: ACC-B1G Challenge, most likely at Duke
    12/12: Charleston Southern at Duke

It's not the most robust non-conference schedule. Then again, there is this thing called COVID that is causing havoc right now. I'm not going to judge any team for their non-conference schedule this season.
    Duke basketball announced it's Multi-Team Event will officially take place at two locations, including Duke and Howard. Bellarmine and Elon will play both Duke and Howard, with two games at Cameron Indoor Stadium and then the next two games taking place at Howard University. Mako Medical does the COVID-19 testing for Duke. The event is in honor of Dr. Onye Akwari, the first Black surgeon at Duke Hospitals and a long-time supporter and mentor to Duke basketball.

How it'll work is that Duke will host games on December 4th and 6th. Bellarmine and/or Elon will play at Duke and then go up to Howard in DC to play the Buffaloes on the 6th and 8th.

Here's the updated non-conference schedule:

11/25: Gardner-Webb at Duke
    11/28: Coppin State at Duke
    12/1: Champions Classic vs. MSU @ TBD
    12/4: Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
    12/6: Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
    12/8: Illinois at Duke / ACC-B1G Challenge
    12/12: Charleston Southern at Duke

So, Howard won't even come to Duke. The other two teams will just shuttle between DC and RDU. It sounds like the definition of a MTE is kinda loose.

Not Gifted?

On the front page article on the ACC-Big 10 challenge, the article describes Larry Bird as "not gifted." I assume they're referring to run/jump athleticism? Because no one in their right minds should ever describe Larry Bird as "not gifted."

Quote Originally Posted by SlapTheFloor View Post
    On the front page article on the ACC-Big 10 challenge, the article describes Larry Bird as "not gifted." I assume they're referring to run/jump athleticism? Because no one in their right minds should ever describe Larry Bird as "not gifted."
    Bill Murray made it on the Toon Squad. Larry Bird didn't. 'nuff said.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    hey, it sounds like it's for a good cause...but calling it a "Classic" is generous.

I’m sure he was talking solely about physical gifts - which Bird did not possess in great abundance.

Julian has many times suggested Bird should be in the discussion of GOAT.

-jk

Larry’s not white. Larry’s clear.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I’m sure he was talking solely about physical gifts - which Bird did not possess in great abundance.

-jk
    Julian's articles have a lot of careless, gratuitous, asides. This was one. Larry Bird was extremely gifted. There are more physical gifts than foot speed and jumping ability. Larry had vision,timing, hand eye coordination, strength, endurance - all physical gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    So, Howard won't even come to Duke. The other two teams will just shuttle between DC and RDU. It sounds like the definition of a MTE is kinda loose.
    As is the definition of a “bubble.”

Mako Classic? I bet gambling will be up for this event - the sharks will be all over this one.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    I recall reading about Bird's unusual agility, particularly for a player his size.

Came across this in a letter from a reader following a Sports Illustrated feature on Bird:

Sir:
    John Papanek's article was insightful but it failed to recognize one of Larry Bird's outstanding qualities, his agility. I've tested more than 3,500 college and professional athletes, including Bird, with the ARCO ability test. There is a data file for that test that contains more than 70,000 scores on items of strength, speed, power, agility, endurance, etc. Bird's agility score put him at the 90th percentile. No tall athlete had ever tested that well before. Surely, this helps explain his "good positioning."
    ROBERT F. MCDAVID, PH.D.
    Human Performance Laboratory
    Indiana State University
    Terre Haute, Ind.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    hey, it sounds like it's for a good cause...but calling it a "Classic" is generous.
    I went to graduate school at UVA in the late 1980s. There was a sandwich shop that opened up in 1982 and in 1987 had a sign that said "A tradition since 1982". Some one pointed out that traditions in C'ville meant they had to go back at least a century since UVA was founded in 1819.

ACC Schedule Dropping Soon?

Jon Rothstein's sources suggest the ACC schedule will be released next week.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...94538456735744

Big news regarding the Champions Classic

Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander

2m
    News: Duke vs. Michigan State’s Champions Classic game will be held at Cameron Indoor Stadium this year, on Dec. 1, source confirms to
    @CBSSports

@AdamZagoria
    had it first. Kansas vs. Kentucky is going to be in Indianapolis. Tip-off times not yet decided.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Big news regarding the Champions Classic
    I kind of figured this was going to happen. There's not a lot of trust around testing protocols and Duke has a strong protocol in place. And of course, Duke played @ MSU last year. They are basically staying home for the entire non-conference schedule. I don't blame them even if rival fans will have fun with this. It's the safest thing to do.

I'm sure rival fans will complain about us getting a home team advantage regardless. Our game against them last season was technically part of the ACC/B10 Challenge, not the Champions Classic. But regardless, it's likely to be played without fans so our advantage will be drastically (though not completely) reduced.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm sure rival fans will complain about us getting a home team advantage regardless. Our game against them last season was technically part of the ACC/B10 Challenge, not the Champions Classic. But regardless, it's likely to be played without fans so our advantage will be drastically (though not completely) reduced.
    Cameron's gonna sound like the Dean Dome with all the audible shoe squeaking and silence in the stands.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wow, no OOC road games or neutral court games. Sounds like a Syracuse schedule from years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Cameron's gonna sound like the Dean Dome with all the audible shoe squeaking and silence in the stands.
    The better get a vocoder for K.