Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    There’s now a press release saying that the tournament that was originally supposed to have been at the Atlantis resort but was then rumored to be heading to South Dakota has been officially cancelled. The report that it hadn’t really been cancelled was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Interestingly, ALL the other teams confirmed playing in SD except Duke. That is a LOADED field. Alas, could also be cool to host a tournament, but will be hard to pull off - but if anybody can, it's Duke and Coach K.

As far as hotel rooms in the WaDuke, some of those are being used for student housing - well, at least, for the basketball team. I recognize that is only ~15 rooms, no idea if other students got placed there.
    There are other hotels JB Duke and another Duke bought off Erwin Road

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    There’s now a press release saying that the tournament that was originally supposed to have been at the Atlantis resort but was then rumored to be heading to South Dakota has been officially cancelled. The report that it hadn’t really been cancelled was wrong.
    People are really confusing things. The Battle 4 Atlantis tournament and its organizers/sponsors are not holding the event (i.e. "canceled.") However, there is an effort to have the exact same field and same structure in a tournament in SD, yet to have an official name. Reportedly, Duke is the only team that isn't on board with the idea. QED

#allsubjecttochange

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    People are really confusing things. The Battle 4 Atlantis tournament and its organizers/sponsors are not holding the event (i.e. "canceled.") However, there is an effort to have the exact same field and same structure in a tournament in SD, yet to have an official name. Reportedly, Duke is the only team that isn't on board with the idea.
    Duke could probably schedule its own 4 game tournament in NYC and get a good field with a couple phone calls. The Atlantis field is better than what we could schedule on our own.

I don't know what the concern is. Is Coach K or the administration concerned about COVID-19 for himself, staff, or players? Does Coach K want to avoid the 3 team tournament because it takes up too many away/neutral spots? (He mentioned rethinking the trip to Maui in a presser last time. We only had 18 ACC games when this contract was signed instead of 20.)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Duke could probably schedule its own 4 game tournament in NYC and get a good field with a couple phone calls. The Atlantis field is better than what we could schedule on our own.

I don't know what the concern is. Is Coach K or the administration concerned about COVID-19 for himself, staff, or players? Does Coach K want to avoid the 3 team tournament because it takes up too many away/neutral spots? (He mentioned rethinking the trip to Maui in a presser last time. We only had 18 ACC games when this contract was signed instead of 20.)
    Who is going to back renting out the venue to play it in? There won't be fans there, so the only revenue is going to be from TV, and honestly that isn't likely to pay much, even with Duke playing. If they want anything to happen, hosting in Cameron makes more sense, just from financial reasons alone.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Who is going to back renting out the venue to play it in? There won't be fans there, so the only revenue is going to be from TV, and honestly that isn't likely to pay much, even with Duke playing. If they want anything to happen, hosting in Cameron makes more sense, just from financial reasons alone.
    TV? I am skeptical that you are going to get decent non-conference opponents by holding the games at Duke. Kansas tried this a couple times long before COVID-19. They had to play a home-home with Arizona to get a quality opponent and had the rest with other smaller schools that did not help NET rankings. Noting that I have not seen schedules, the best case scenario might be Gardner-Webb, VCU, and Georgetown with a return to Georgetown in a future year.

A full round-robin for the Champions Classic would be enough for the NET rankings on a 27 game schedule when you have 18-20 ACC games.

Pure speculation/fantasy here, but I'm wondering if the teams would ever consider turning the Champions Classic into a three-game MTE? The teams could bubble for a week and then play round robin over five days. It would be brutal to have to play three games against elite opponents that early in the season, but a ton of fun for us as fans!

Also, the title of this thread did not indicate that it was a Duke-only discussion, so I will also pass along that the Maui Invitational is being moved to Asheville, NC. Quite a home court advantage the CHeats will have. Also, Louisville and Kentucky have announced they are planning to host small MTE tournaments on their home courts. I think there's a high likelihood that Duke and many other top programs do the same. It allows them to get 2-3 games in against opponents of their choosing on their home floor, in a bubbled format.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Pure speculation/fantasy here, but I'm wondering if the teams would ever consider turning the Champions Classic into a three-game MTE? The teams could bubble for a week and then play round robin over five days. It would be brutal to have to play three games against elite opponents that early in the season, but a ton of fun for us as fans!

Also, the title of this thread did not indicate that it was a Duke-only discussion, so I will also pass along that the Maui Invitational is being moved to Asheville, NC. Quite a home court advantage the CHeats will have. Also, Louisville and Kentucky have announced they are planning to host small MTE tournaments on their home courts. I think there's a high likelihood that Duke and many other top programs do the same. It allows them to get 2-3 games in against opponents of their choosing on their home floor, in a bubbled format.
    My business partner was part of the team that got Maui relocated to Asheville. Very cool for out town.

Not sure that it really accounts for a "home court advantage" with no fans in attendance though.

Coach Calipari floated this idea in August. I’ve seen no idea the idea was getting support from the other participants.

And what prithee tell me is an MTE?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    And what prithee tell me is an MTE?
    Multi Team Event
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It’s not just Duke. Louisville is planning a bubble at their place.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Multi Team Event
    Yep, it’s the term that describes out of conference tournaments in which teams can play up to three games that don’t count against the allowable maximum number of games. They used to be called “exempt” tournaments, but “MTE” sounds so much cooler

I understand many DBRers dislike of Seth Greenberg and Dan Dakich but their most recent podcast includes updates from Andy Katz and one of ESPN's head of college basketball operations on how these multi team events are taking shape, the various considerations, etc. I found it had a lot of useful information:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/newyor...e/_/id/2689788

It's the 9/17/20 episode.

Jeff Goodman is tweeting that Howard, with Makur Maker, will be at Duke for an event on 12/4-5.

I guess I was expecting something more than a two day event.

Jeff Goodman is tweeting that Howard, with Makur Maker, will be at Duke for an event on 12/4-5.

I guess I was expecting something more than a two day event.
    Would love for Duke to make it a point to schedule some HBCU’s every year. Getting to see Makur would be great too.

Would love for Duke to make it a point to schedule some HBCU’s every year. Getting to see Makur would be great too.
    And Howard's head coach is Kenny Blakeney and Tyler Thornton is an assistant - strong Duke ties.

Luke Decock at the N&O has an interesting piece on scheduling at Duke and other local schools. It confirms what we had already been hearing. It does add that the ACC schedule may not be completed until October, although it doesn't say when in October. I'm guessing it won't be early October. Decock does mention that Jon Jackson is the guy at Duke in charge of basketball scheduling. I don't recall hearing his name before. I wish him luck this season!

There have been a couple of scheduling updates lately that I haven't seen added to the discourse here:

Champions Classic is anticipated for December 1 (Duke/msu, UK/KU)--Source numerous Duke & CBB journos
    ACC/B1G Challenge is anticipated for December 8-9--Source Jon Rothstein

Obviously things are subject to change, which is why I say 'anticipated,' but I appreciate some tangible dates to look forward to.

Luke Decock at the N&O has an interesting piece on scheduling at Duke and other local schools. It confirms what we had already been hearing. It does add that the ACC schedule may not be completed until October, although it doesn't say when in October. I'm guessing it won't be early October. Decock does mention that Jon Jackson is the guy at Duke in charge of basketball scheduling. I don't recall hearing his name before. I wish him luck this season!
    Jon's been at Duke for a long, long time. He knows his way through the thickets.