Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

2020-21 Basketball Schedule

Duke was supposed to play in the Battle for Atlantis Basketball Tournament in the Bahamas in November. There was talk about moving the tournament to South Dakota of all places. Now, they've decided to cancel the tournament for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Duke was supposed to play in the Battle for Atlantis Basketball Tournament in the Bahamas in November. There was talk about moving the tournament to South Dakota of all places. Now, they've decided to cancel the tournament for this year.
    I “heard” that college regular seasons will be limited to 27 games. This may have contributed to the cancellation; but suspect participants weren’t that interested in SD format.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I “heard” that college regular seasons will be limited to 27 games. This may have contributed to the cancellation; but suspect participants weren’t that interested in SD format.
    More info: https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...84764801458177
    Last edited by Natty_B; 09-18-2020 at 12:07 PM.

The Maui Tournament will be played in my backyard this year. Which would be exciting, except there's no fans.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...virus-pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Oh snap!! This could be HUGE!!!

From the above link--

Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    9m
    Sources tell @CBSSports that Duke, which is not expected to play in the South Dakota/Battle 4 Atlantis event, is in the process of trying to build a multi-team event this season to be held at Duke and would center around a theme and backdrop of social-justice activism.
    This event is still in the planning stages and subject to change, but if Duke was able to pull it off, it would obviously become one of the biggest nonconference events of the college basketball season.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

From the above link--

Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    9m
    Sources tell @CBSSports that Duke, which is not expected to play in the South Dakota/Battle 4 Atlantis event, is in the process of trying to build a multi-team event this season to be held at Duke and would center around a theme and backdrop of social-justice activism.
    This event is still in the planning stages and subject to change, but if Duke was able to pull it off, it would obviously become one of the biggest nonconference events of the college basketball season.
    Don't think I've ever been prouder of Duke Athletics and Coach K. This is incredible.

Really hope it happens.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

From the above link--

Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    9m
    Yeah, this sounds cool. I am guessing the school wants to control COVID-19 exposure as much as possible and there would be a lot more control over an event that they plan and execute. I am guessing that South Dakota's relatively laissez faire attitude about COVID and mass social gatherings has got Duke more than a bit concerned.

You'd hope the field would include some marquee names considering that we are bowing out of a cool event.

Since this is a thread about the upcoming schedule, we should add to it that the Champions Classic will be played in an Orlando bubble
    https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...uke-basketball

And, just to build some more excitement, I was happy to see this:

Henry Coleman III
    @hencoleman3
    I Promise you are going to LOVE this Duke Team!!!

From the above link--

Matt Norlander
    @MattNorlander
    9m
    It makes perfect sense. Duke has empty hotels rooms at the Washington Duke and J.B. Duke hotels just steps away from Cameron, plenty of space for other schools to practice, a lavishly staffed athletic department to make the arrangements and the resources of an enormous medical center less than a mile away. Duke has the leverage to get it done. It would be great to get some major opponents onboard. The only problems is that I won't be able to get in!

I wonder about other local teams. Would UNC and NCSU want to make this a shared thing? Would Duke want to work with them on this?

Eh, we'll see who the other teams are that get invited to play in Durham. I could see it being a bunch of HBCU's including NCCU. I mean, that would be a cool social justice awareness thing but in terms of basketball I was really looking forward to seeing the team against a strong Battle 4 Atlantis field. If the regular season is cut back in the number of games and with the talk of small schools losing the revenue from playing at the big schools, it just seems like Duke would go the route of bringing in a bunch of small schools to play 3 games or so.

If Duke can somehow manage to convince other power conference teams to come to a bubble in Durham that would be awesome but I think that would be a hard sell considering other P5 teams have tournament bubbles and could host their own bubble of small school opponents.
    Last edited by mo.st.dukie; 09-18-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Replacing the Battle for Atlantis with something else?

Word out there that Duke may be dropping out of the Battle for Atlantis event, in favor of hosting a local basketball tournament?

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...92280264421381

Sorry, didn't realize that the rather generically-named "Duke Playing Basketball in 2020-21" thread was about this.

I encourage the use of more descriptive thread titles

(I also encourage the deletion of this thread by a mod.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Word out there that Duke may be dropping out of the Battle for Atlantis event, in favor of hosting a local basketball tournament?

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...92280264421381
    big 4??? hey i can hope.
    1200. DDMF.

Interestingly, ALL the other teams confirmed playing in SD except Duke. That is a LOADED field. Alas, could also be cool to host a tournament, but will be hard to pull off - but if anybody can, it's Duke and Coach K.

As far as hotel rooms in the WaDuke, some of those are being used for student housing - well, at least, for the basketball team. I recognize that is only ~15 rooms, no idea if other students got placed there.

anything makes more sense than travelling halfway across the country to play in South Dakota. That's just stoopid. Maybe they should have held it during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

It would be cool to see an HBCU event with Central, A&T, Howard, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    Eh, we'll see who the other teams are that get invited to play in Durham. I could see it being a bunch of HBCU's including NCCU. I mean, that would be a cool social justice awareness thing but in terms of basketball I was really looking forward to seeing the team against a strong Battle 4 Atlantis field. If the regular season is cut back in the number of games and with the talk of small schools losing the revenue from playing at the big schools, it just seems like Duke would go the route of bringing in a bunch of small schools to play 3 games or so.

If Duke can somehow manage to convince other power conference teams to come to a bubble in Durham that would be awesome but I think that would be a hard sell considering other P5 teams have tournament bubbles and could host their own bubble of small school opponents.
    The issue is it's widely reported that the Champions Classic will be the first week of December in Orlando. So Durham to South Dakota bubble to Orlando bubble is about impossible. I think this idea is way cooler and IMO the interest from other schools (not just P5 this isn't football) will be big. We're spoiled but playing at Cameron (even without fans) is a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    It would be cool to see an HBCU event with Central, A&T, Howard, etc.
    Eight team event with 4 HBCU teams (NCCU for sure) and 3 other P5 teams with Duke. One cross group (P5 v HBCU game per team) and then 4 team 2 game mini tournament within your group.

That could be really cool
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Disappointed...

I'm disappointed because of the good field, and believe folks in South Dakota will pull it off well; but that said, this could be huge for Duke!

There's now a report from Kevin Connelly at Fansided that Duke really will be playing in that 8 team tournament in South Dakota but it will no longer be called the Battle for Atlantis -- same teams but a different name for the event. I can understand why the Atlantis resort didn't want its name associated with South Dakota in November but this is bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post

I think having an event with local HBCUs could work--because Duke has had so much privilege over the years (and so much more money) to make it interesting develop a formula to handicap the teams. In other words if Duke is playing WSSU and their basketball budget is 1/20th of Duke's, then WSSU will be spotted a certain number of points (20? 30?) to start the game and Duke would have to outscore them to win. If it already an exhibition due to being in different NCAA levels etc, it could work?