Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Two more exhibition-quality games on the (likely shortened) regular season schedule. Color me disappointed. The home non-conference schedule seems to get weaker and weaker every year.
    Anybody else remember home games with Oklahoma, Notre Dame (before joining ACC), Louisville (before joining ACC), Kansas, Michigan (before B10-ACC Challenge), UCLA, and Arizona?

I would like to point out that at this moment I think we only really know about 4 of Duke's non-conference games... 2 against top tier D1 powers (a top team in the Big Ten challenge and Michigan State) and 2 lower-level "buy games." I suspect we may only add a couple games around Thanksgiving, likely against quality opponents, and perhaps one more game in Cameron in mid-December and that will probably be it. How many of our games did we expect to be against power 5 opponents? Every single one of them?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I would like to point out that at this moment I think we only really know about 4 of Duke's non-conference games... 2 against top tier D1 powers (a top team in the Big Ten challenge and Michigan State) and 2 lower-level "buy games." I suspect we may only add a couple games around Thanksgiving, likely against quality opponents, and perhaps one more game in Cameron in mid-December and that will probably be it. How many of our games did we expect to be against power 5 opponents? Every single one of them?
    I don't think we can judge Duke, or any program, on their schedule this year. Everything is up in the air and I have no confidence that most of the scheduled games will take place.

In general though, I'm disappointed at the trend Duke and other programs are showing for scheduling multiple cupcake games at home. I would like to see Duke schedule more power 5 opponents before conference play starts.I understand why they don't but as a basketball consumer I would like to see more quality games before conference play starts.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I don't think we can judge Duke, or any program, on their schedule this year. Everything is up in the air and I have no confidence that most of the scheduled games will take place.

In general though, I'm disappointed at the trend Duke and other programs are showing for scheduling multiple cupcake games at home. I would like to see Duke schedule more power 5 opponents before conference play starts.I understand why they don't but as a basketball consumer I would like to see more quality games before conference play starts.
    The ACC schedule is now -- what? -- 20 games and possibly three or more in the ACC Tournament. I don't expect the OOC scheduling to become more demanding.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The ACC schedule is now -- what? -- 20 games and possibly three or more in the ACC Tournament. I don't expect the OOC scheduling to become more demanding.
    I'm not looking forward to it but once Coach K is retired, Duke basketball will need to work hard to justify the lofty contributions required to buy season tickets and the ultra high level national profile. More ambitious scheduling may be part of that.

How many of our games did we expect to be against power 5 opponents? Every single one of them?
    I don’t expect us to schedule another top opponent, and made this point a couple weeks ago. But my issue is with avoiding Howard in favor of Bellarmine. We’re refusing to play a team that has maybe a 2% chance of beating us so we can play a team that has a 0.1% chance. And we’re wasting an opportunity to actually do something positive for a HBCU while under the guise of hosting an event for that very purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don’t expect us to schedule another top opponent, and made this point a couple weeks ago. But my issue is with avoiding Howard in favor of Bellarmine. We’re refusing to play a team that has maybe a 2% chance of beating us so we can play a team that has a 0.1% chance. And we’re wasting an opportunity to actually do something positive for a HBCU while under the guise of hosting an event for that very purpose.
    And, if we wanted to avoid playing Kenny Blakeney, why not also include another North Carolina HBCU like NCCU, NCA&T or Winston-Salem St., rather than Bellarmine?

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    And, if we wanted to avoid playing Kenny Blakeney, why not also include another North Carolina HBCU like NCCU, NCA&T or Winston-Salem St., rather than Bellarmine?
    I hear ya and we spoke about this on the most recent podcast... but we should also wait to see the schedule that comes out and how these events are handled before jumping to any conclusions. We have incomplete information at this point.

-Jason "Also, Howard is in the MEAC, which has a bunch of HBCUs already in it including NCCU and NCA&T... that may complicate things a bit" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

November 25 - Pencil in the date?

The freshmen are showing off their new uniforms on social media, and more than one has included a caption with the date "November 25th."

From what we know about the schedules, there's the Champions Classic on December 1st, a multi-team event on Duke's campus in early December, and the ACC/B1G challenge, most likely early December with a home game for Duke this season.

The ACC schedule is going to be 20 games. The NCAA has set a maximum of 25 games with 4 out-of-conference games already in place. So does this mean Duke will be playing a non-conference opponent at home November 25th? That's how I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The freshmen are showing off their new uniforms on social media, and more than one has included a caption with the date "November 25th."

From what we know about the schedules, there's the Champions Classic on December 1st, a multi-team event on Duke's campus in early December, and the ACC/B1G challenge, most likely early December with a home game for Duke this season.

The ACC schedule is going to be 20 games. The NCAA has set a maximum of 25 games with 4 out-of-conference games already in place. So does this mean Duke will be playing a non-conference opponent at home November 25th? That's how I read it.
    This is incorrect. The NCAA max is 25 games + a multi-game event with the total # of regular season games limited to 27.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    This is incorrect. The NCAA max is 25 games + a multi-game event with the total # of regular season games limited to 27.
    Thanks for the clarification on that. I did a little digging on the NCAA site, and here's what they have:

In men's basketball, teams can compete in a maximum of:
    • 25 regular-season games if a team does not participate in a multiple-team event
    • 25 regular-season games and one multiple-team event that includes up to two games
    • 24 regular-season games and one multiple-team event that includes up to three games
    So based on that, Duke has the following penciled in:

November 25th: TBD ACC or non-conference opponent, most likely at Duke
    December 1st: Champions Classic vs. Michigan State, at Orlando
    December (TBD): "Duke Invitational" vs. Elon and Bellarmine, at Duke
    December (TBD): ACC-B1G Challenge, at Duke, most likely to be December 8/9

In the spring, Duke had announced non-conference games against App State and Cleveland State. Now that I know there will be 27 games during the regular season, my hunch is that those games will either be the first two games of the year or they will take place after the ACC-B1G Challenge and before the rest of the conference schedule in late December/early January.

Looking at the schedule, it occurs to me that there will be probably be another game between the 25th and the Champions Classic on December 1st, on either Saturday or Sunday, November 28th or 29th. Last year, the ACC tried to get 2 conference games in to kick off the season. Perhaps the first two games in November will be ACC games and then we'll see one more non-conference matchup announced to fill out the schedule between the ACC-B1G Challenge and the rest of the ACC Schedule.

November 25 - Write it in pen

Seeing chatter on twitter that Duke will play Gardner-Webb on November 25th.

@TheDukeNation
    OFFICIAL: Duke's first game will be November 25th when they host Gardner-Webb. Time and TV is still TBD.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Seeing chatter on twitter that Duke will play Gardner-Webb on November 25th.
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    OFFICIAL: Duke's first game will be November 25th when they host Gardner-Webb. Time and TV is still TBD.
    I don't remember the last time I missed our opening game, but I'll be missing that one as I enjoy a night of camping before spending the next day cooking a turkey at my parent's house. I'm hopeful they can handle the mighty Bulldogs without me!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Near as I can tell, this is going to be the schedule:

11/25 - Gardner-Webb at Duke
    12/1 - Champion's Classic vs Michigan St in Orlando
    12/4 - Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
    12/5 - Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
    12/8 or 12/9 - Big Ten Challenge against TBA probably at Duke (Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa being most likely opponents)

There will be one more game, I am pretty sure. I could see something on 11/28 or 29 or something on 12/12 or 12/13.

-Jason "I hope we get a good team for that last game, maybe a Big East, SEC, or B12 team. Would like to see us do more than play small schools and the Big Ten" Evans

Near as I can tell, this is going to be the schedule:

11/25 - Gardner-Webb at Duke
    12/1 - Champion's Classic vs Michigan St in Orlando
    12/4 - Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
    12/5 - Elon or Bellarmine at Duke
    12/8 or 12/9 - Big Ten Challenge against TBA probably at Duke (Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa being most likely opponents)

There will be one more game, I am pretty sure. I could see something on 11/28 or 29 or something on 12/12 or 12/13.

-Jason "I hope we get a good team for that last game, maybe a Big East, SEC, or B12 team. Would like to see us do more than play small schools and the Big Ten" Evans
    We can play 27 with the multi-team event. I’d expect 2 more games than you’ve listed.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    We can play 27 with the multi-team event. I’d expect 2 more games than you’ve listed.
    Most multi-team events allow you to play 3 games. Ours will only be 2 games so we are sorta leaving one game on the table this season (not exactly a bad idea given some of the craziness going on this year). Anyway, because I that I believe we are only going to be playing 26 total games this season (assuming we get all games in).

I could be wrong and if I am, I hope others correct me.

Most multi-team events allow you to play 3 games. Ours will only be 2 games so we are sorta leaving one game on the table this season (not exactly a bad idea given some of the craziness going on this year). Anyway, because I that I believe we are only going to be playing 26 total games this season (assuming we get all games in).

I could be wrong and if I am, I hope others correct me.
    Post 71 above indicates 27 games (as I’ve read before). Of course, I don’t know if we take full advantage or not,

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    I think having an event with local HBCUs could work--because Duke has had so much privilege over the years (and so much more money) to make it interesting develop a formula to handicap the teams. In other words if Duke is playing WSSU and their basketball budget is 1/20th of Duke's, then WSSU will be spotted a certain number of points (20? 30?) to start the game and Duke would have to outscore them to win. If it already an exhibition due to being in different NCAA levels etc, it could work?
    Or you can ignore the budget differential, and give them the best recruits. My speculation is that would be sufficient.

I never envisioned that we would have to feel guilty about Duke basketball because the program has so much money and privilege. Makes you wonder about the football program...

Charleston Southern on December 12 per Charleston Post & Courier.