NC State Game Thoughts

Earlier this week I posted that the captains needed to earn their stripes. Well for the most part they did. All three played hard and did their thing. McBob in the second half was teh most aggressive we have seen him, That is the way he needs to score- face and attack. We also got a great, great game from Marty. He stepped in and made things happened. That was the Marty many of us expected a year ago. His best game at Duke by far. He is a player who needs his shot to get better. His first step is blazing fast and he can finish. Scheyer started strong but disappeared- but I suspect he was the focus on D by State in the second half. The problem tonight is that Costner and Atsur (second half Atsur) were GREAT- just outstanding. If you want to pull an upset then two guys have to play great and they did. Atsur showed me a lot tonight and Costner is an excellent player. He is smooth and strong. He will be a force in this league. Duke's D tonight had a ton of trouble with State on the inside. They picked Duke apart and scored at will. The second half by State was a clinic on patient offense. So Duke played well but just could not beat a very hot State who played nearly mistake free second half basketball.

The negatives in my mind was the D. It seems to be missing something- lately. Teams are breaking Duke down very. very easily. Henderson could have helped but I am not quite sure what is wrong. Yes, McBob was in foul trouble- but Thomas, Zoubek and McClure needed to do more- they disappointed in the second half. We also got killed on the glass in key moments. That surprised me- as State is not a good offensive rebounding team. Tonight- State did it all when it counted. Hats off to Atsur and Costner. They were stars and State deserved to win.

What does this mean going forward- who knows. All depends on the NCAA draw and which team shows up. The D needs work. There was a spark tonight. All they can do now is go home- rest and see where they are going. They could make a run- we just have to see. Tonight changed nothing- if anything we saw a few players play very well and get their swagger back. State was just very good and had another of their nights- where they showed they can beat anyone.
    Last edited by dukelifer; 03-08-2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: title needs changing