Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    The Twitterverse is telling me that many people — including Winged Foot membership — are up in arms at how easy the course played yesterday. It sounds like conditions are supposed to be more windy today, so we’ll see what Round 2 brings.
    From what I read about Winged Foot, the greens were suppose to be very hard to negotiate. With wind coming into play, we should see the scores go up. I haven't watched the first round yet but I do have it recorded. I can't imagine a US Open winning score being much below par. I guess we'll see when conditions get tougher. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Strong day 1 for your first major, jv001!
    Hope I do better than the last degenerate challenge.

The Twitterverse is telling me that many people — including Winged Foot membership — are up in arms at how easy the course played yesterday. It sounds like conditions are supposed to be more windy today, so we’ll see what Round 2 brings.
    Nick Faldo mentioned several times on the broadcast yesterday that the course was setup a little on the easy side because with the shorter amount of daylight in mid Sept vs mid June the USGA was worried the last groups would run out of daylight.

He also mentioned that they would correct for that going forward. They can obviously do that after the cut, but if daylight is truly an issue with the full field won't Friday have the same issue?
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Nick Faldo mentioned several times on the broadcast yesterday that the course was setup a little on the easy side because with the shorter amount of daylight in mid Sept vs mid June the USGA was worried the last groups would run out of daylight.

He also mentioned that they would correct for that going forward. They can obviously do that after the cut, but if daylight is truly an issue with the full field won't Friday have the same issue?
    I read similar speculation online. But, yes, they ought to face the same issues today if that is the cases. And maybe even more if the wind does, indeed, pick up versus yesterday.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Day Two -- Much Harder!

Twenty-two golfers have finished their Friday round. No one near par -- best score +2, 72. Median score is 75.

Adam Long is in with a seemingly disappointing 74 for a total of +5. Truthfully, I think +5 makes the cut!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Twenty-two golfers have finished their Friday round. No one near par -- best score +2, 72. Median score is 75.

Adam Long is in with a seemingly disappointing 74 for a total of +5. Truthfully, I think +5 makes the cut!
    Last I checked (about 30 minutes ago), projected cut line was +6. So, yeah.

Last I checked (about 30 minutes ago), projected cut line was +6. So, yeah.
    Then I'm guessing Lefty won't be playing on the weekend. He was +9 yesterday! Absolutely horrible. Too bad, I really like Phil.

The back 9 scores - especially 16, 17 and 18 - are going to make the Winged Foot membership very happy.

I’d love to see the average back 9 score today.

So far - Bubba Watson, who shot 1 under, is the only player who finished under par.

And DeChambeau puts up an eagle on 9 (his last hole) to finish at -2. Low round of the day so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    The back 9 scores - especially 16, 17 and 18 - are going to make the Winged Foot membership very happy.

I’d love to see the average back 9 score today.

So far - Bubba Watson, who shot 1 under, is the only player who finished under par.
    Bryson DeChambeau just became the second player to finish under par this morning with a 2 under that included and eagle on 9 (his finishing hole).

Course is playing tougher for sure. Wind usually picks up in the afternoon as well.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

So much for high-volume. I have 5 who missed the cut, and 3 who didn’t (JT, Niemann, Hovland). And only the latter two differentiate Team Tripping at all. Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    10 - DJ
    07 - Collin
    05 - Bryson
    02 - Wolff
    02 - Phil
    02 - Rickie
    02 - B.Todd

Score -4 (I almost always go with -14 but the US Open shouldn't see that).
    DJ +3 made cut
    Collin +7 missed cut by 1
    Bryson -3
    Matt Even
    Phil WTF
    Rickie +6 (was 1 under yesterday)
    Todd E

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So many of us picked Thomas, having him really isn't that much of a boost to your team.

Anyway...

Team Evans
    Thomas 1
    Schauffele T8
    DeChambeau T14
    Fleetwood T92
    Morikawa T120
    At the end of day 2...

Team Evans
    DeChambeau 2
    Thomas T3
    Schauffele T7
    Fleetwood cut
    Morikawa cut

I'll take 3 of the top 7... but I still don't really like my chances as I suspect several others have these three as well.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Team Green

T3 Thomas
    T22 DJ, McIlroy

CUT: Streelman and Kisner
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Team Green

T3 Thomas
    T22 DJ, McIlroy

CUT: Streelman and Kisner
    I got to watch half my time nosedive in the sale threesome: Morikawa and Tiger missed the cut. Justin Thomas rallied to finish +3 and fell to T-3.

Adam Long T-33 and Webb Simpson T-17 remain in contention, under the theory that "no lead is safe."

Will the overall winner be under par? Maybe, from what I saw Patrick Reed was flirting with disaster all day.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I’m feeling ok about my squad
    JT T3
    Xander and Wolff T7
    Oostie T12
    Day and Cantlay T49
    Fairway Jesus MC

So four guys within 5 strokes of the lead with a chance to win, and 2 who can make some money to help the team

Has there ever been a less likable US Open final pairing than today’s?

Has there ever been a less likable US Open final pairing than today’s?
    I dunno, and I'm sure a lot of people really dislike both of these players, for a variety of reasons.

I actually like Bryson and find it interesting to watch him play. Reed may be despicable, but I feel like I learn a lot watching his iron swing, and his chipping and putting is phenomenal.

If you could choose anybody from the pga tour, give them one six-foot putt, and if they make it you win a million dollars, who would you choose to take that putt? The answer used to be Tiger, and he would still be a pretty good pick, but right now I think the two best choices are Fowler and Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    If you could choose anybody from the pga tour, give them one six-foot putt, and if they make it you win a million dollars, who would you choose to take that putt? The answer used to be Tiger, and he would still be a pretty good pick, but right now I think the two best choices are Fowler and Reed.
    I’d go with Fowler myself.

A few years ago I would’ve added Jordan Spieth to the conversation but his game has fallen dramatically.
    Bob Green

FWIW, Saturday's early starts are +34 in 58 holes played, which works out to be -- [pause] chukka-chukka-chukka -- a score of 80.5 for 18 holes. Course is playing hard.

Caveats: it seemed to me that 1-2-3 were especially hard. Plus, guys at the bottom often seem to lose a bit of edge.
    Sage Grouse