Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

ACC and Coach K proposing including all D1 teams in the 2021 NCAA Tournament

This was brought up in the "Do sports...return" thread but seems like it is a big enough deal to warrant its own thread.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...caa-tournament

Part of me likes the idea, it would be a ton of fun to watch an absolute basketball bonanza like this. On the other hand, I would kind of like my alma mater to make it the old fashioned way first.

while it sounds large, it would only be an extra weekend for most top teams...8 rounds plus a "play in round" to get from 250->256.

I don't think it particularly unmanageable from a logistics perspective. play the first round at a home site, then the extra two rounds at the home site of highest seeded team in the pod, then you're down to the standard 64.

Or they could keep with tradition and play the extra 300 games at dayton.
    1200. DDMF.

Is that one price for the 300 game Dayton session?

It sounds like it would be fun and I am forever pro-fun. Logistics may be a nightmare but it would certainly be a spectacle to watch.

This move makes more sense to me if the regular season is truncated or nonexistent. Do they know something we don't? Because it makes less sense for a 351-team tournament to come after a full regular season.

I guess I can see some value in avoiding the usual debates about who is the 49th (is that still the right number? I've lost track of how many auto qualifiers there are now) best team in this weird year when calendars may be upset and reworked repeatedly, but why exactly does a pandemic seem like a great opportunity to schedule many, many *extra* NCAA tournament games at random sites? It doesn't, at least to me. So far, in pandemic sports in general, things have done best in a bubble, and changes have been toward tailoring playoff events down rather than up: not every NBA team went to Orlando, not every NHL team went to Edmonton/Toronto, and college conferences either canceled football or trended strongly toward limited, usually conference-only schedules.

So how does this super-tourney idea make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I guess I can see some value in avoiding the usual debates about who is the 49th (is that still the right number? I've lost track of how many auto qualifiers there are now) best team in this weird year when calendars may be upset and reworked repeatedly, but why exactly does a pandemic seem like a great opportunity to schedule many, many *extra* NCAA tournament games at random sites? It doesn't, at least to me. So far, in pandemic sports in general, things have done best in a bubble, and changes have been toward tailoring playoff events down rather than up: not every NBA team went to Orlando, not every NHL team went to Edmonton/Toronto, and college conferences either canceled football or trended strongly toward limited, usually conference-only schedules.

So how does this super-tourney idea make sense?
    only in sports that have had a mostly viable regular season and are holding tournaments in a bubble. Baseball, for instance, had a shortened season with no bubble and expanded the playoffs accordingly.
    1200. DDMF.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm up for it as long as we don't face Stephen F. Austin in the first round.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Double-elimination?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    This move makes more sense to me if the regular season is truncated or nonexistent. Do they know something we don't? Because it makes less sense for a 351-team tournament to come after a full regular season.
    If I remember correctly, this is also tied in with a conference only regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Double-elimination?
    double round robin?
    1200. DDMF.

I'm confused... the way conference tournaments and automatic bids currently work, all but a very small number of teams (in the Ivy and a few independents) already have a chance to win the NCAA tournament. This seems unnecessary and a logistical challenge.

I look forward to Duke's matchup with the #88 seed in the South region from the bottom of the MEAC.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm confused... the way conference tournaments and automatic bids currently work, all but a very small number of teams (in the Ivy and a few independents) already have a chance to win the NCAA tournament. This seems unnecessary and a logistical challenge.

I look forward to Duke's matchup with the #88 seed in the South region from the bottom of the MEAC.
    The Ivy League went to a four-team tournament starting a few years ago, with the qualifying and seeding based on regular season performance. Of course, the Ivy was the first league to scuttle their basketball season in March.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    double round robin?
    Rockin Robin

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'm confused... the way conference tournaments and automatic bids currently work, all but a very small number of teams (in the Ivy and a few independents) already have a chance to win the NCAA tournament. This seems unnecessary and a logistical challenge. .
    I think a conference only season likely means it is impossible for more than one team to make it from any mid-major conferences. A very good mid-major who gets upset in their conference tournament and loses the bid probably doesn't have the resume to get an at-large without any out of conference games on their resume, even if they "probably" deserve to get in based on talent.

I think there's a lot of potential for teams to have cancelled games due to outbreaks on their team or on opponents' teams. That could leave many schools with an incomplete resume through no fault of their own. Let's say 4 schools in the same conference have an outbreak and suspend sports for a period of time. It's possible one or more of their conference opponents could lose 8 games if the schedule broke the wrong way for them. How do you judge who gets in and who doesn't when the landscape is so uneven? I guess the thinking is, we lost a boatload of money last year, let's not do it this year. Matter of fact, let's take the guesswork out of it, stop spending time on how to evaluate one team's incomplete 'good' schedule against another team's complete 'bad' schedule, expand it and give everyone a chance.

Bonus benefit - a lot less Joe Lunardi bracketology!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm up for it as long as we don't face Stephen F. Austin in the first round.
    Or Lehigh.

Or VCU.

Or, ummm, Mercer, I guess....
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    I think there's a lot of potential for teams to have cancelled games due to outbreaks on their team or on opponents' teams. That could leave many schools with an incomplete resume through no fault of their own. Let's say 4 schools in the same conference have an outbreak and suspend sports for a period of time. It's possible one or more of their conference opponents could lose 8 games if the schedule broke the wrong way for them. How do you judge who gets in and who doesn't when the landscape is so uneven? I guess the thinking is, we lost a boatload of money last year, let's not do it this year. Matter of fact, let's take the guesswork out of it, stop spending time on how to evaluate one team's incomplete 'good' schedule against another team's complete 'bad' schedule, expand it and give everyone a chance.

Bonus benefit - a lot less Joe Lunardi bracketology!
    You underestimate the true power of the dark side.

The ACC proposal is specifically premised on a truncated season with no non-conference games. Also implicit, I think, is that some number of teams are going to play less than all their conference games.

But someone or some folks still have to seed all 351 teams. So incomplete seasons for many teams will rock the seeding folks