Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Crowder might be the best skills-position former Duke player in the NFL since Jurgensen. He's missed two games this season but has 14 catches in the two games he's played. And that's after 78 catches last season. He's also averaging 15.6 yards per catch this season, which would be a career-high if he can sustain it.
    Who would you rank ahead of him if you didn't limit it to skill players?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Who would you rank ahead of him if you didn't limit it to skill players?
    My family had season tickets to the Baltimore Colts and Mike Curtis was the real deal. Easily one of the hardest hitters in the NFL. Four time pro bowler. All NFL first team 1968-69. Defensive Player of the Year 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    My family had season tickets to the Baltimore Colts and Mike Curtis was the real deal. Easily one of the hardest hitters in the NFL. Four time pro bowler. All NFL first team 1968-69. Defensive Player of the Year 1970.
    Peruse at your leisure -- 122 Duke players in the NFL.

First-team all-pro: Ace Parker, George McAfee, Al DeRogatis, Jurgensen, Mike Curtis, DT Chuck Walker, OG Ed Newman.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Any Giant fans want to weigh in on how DJ is being perceived right now? I know everyone seemed to think he showed great promise as a rookie, though he needed to clean up some of the TOs. Now that we are about 1/4 of the way into his second year, are Giant fans still showing patience?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    I always forget Mike Curtis played at Duke. It was (way) before my time, so while I hear his name quite a bit in discussions of all time greats, it is always in the context of his NFL career and the fact that he played at Duke and anything he did while he was there is basically never mentioned (outside this board).

Vincent Rey might get a nod for longevity, although he probably wasn't as talented as Crowder he did start quite a few games for the Bengals over the years. I think it is too soon to say for some of our active offensive linemen.

Bob Matheson, Billy Bryan and Chris Port had long and distinguished NFL careers. Bob Grupp was a pretty good punter. Patrick Mannelly is considered the best long snapper in NFL history. Currently both Laken Tomlinson and Matt Skura are at least at Crowder's level and on much better teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Any Giant fans want to weigh in on how DJ is being perceived right now? I know everyone seemed to think he showed great promise as a rookie, though he needed to clean up some of the TOs. Now that we are about 1/4 of the way into his second year, are Giant fans still showing patience?
    Daniel Jones is being given an incomplete. Among the Giant faithful it is recognized that
    + he doesn't have a great corp of receivers (although building some chemistry with Slayton who is a 2nd year like DJ),
    + the offensive line was terrible last year, was overhauled in an attempt to rebuild over the winter with poor initial results.
    + Top Running Back (Saquon Barkley) was ineffective for the brief time he was available before he got injured for the year.
    + the defense has put the offense in the early and often (until last week); not many first downs contributes to wearing down the defense.

The turn-overs are a concern, but then Eli Manning had this tendency early (and often) too.

A recent article in the NY Post expressed some of these same sentiments:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ff9pQ-U2r8-2ID

The offense is starting to use Jones' running ability a bit more, in the absence of a talented replacement for Barkley; we'll see how long that lasts should Jones get a tough hit.
    Last week the Giants were one play away from their first win, but a poor throw into the end zone was intercepted. If only there was a little more time on the clock, a bigger target, a better throw.. But DJ did recover his own fumble (progress!).
    Still a work in progress.

No one is calling for DJ's head. But the Giants need more players and weapons on both sides of the ball. Since DJ didn't start at the beginning of last year, he has started 16 games in his NFL career. So his second year of games really is just starting.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Jamison Crowder with 5 receptions for 86 yards and a TD so far today. Jets losing to Cardinals 17-10 with 5 minutes left in 3rd quarter.
    Bob Green

9. A good parallel to DJ is Dwayne Haskins, who many thought was a way better QB prospect and who vowed to show NY was crazy for taking DJ before him. He's now benched in Washington and likely to be traded at first opportunity.

Crowder finishes the day with 8 receptions for 116 yards and a TD.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Crowder finishes the day with 8 receptions for 116 yards and a TD.
    Luv Jamison, but his Jets are boo awful.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

DJ looking as good as he has all season on this opening drive. His mobility is really needed with this lousy offensive line. 3-3 47 yards and some real nice decision-making as the Giants score on an opening drive for the first time all year.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    DJ looking as good as he has all season on this opening drive. His mobility is really needed with this lousy offensive line. 3-3 47 yards and some real nice decision-making as the Giants score on an opening drive for the first time all year.
    He just had a beautiful TD called back on a bogus PI call.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    He just had a beautiful TD called back on a bogus PI call.
    I did not like the Giants' play calling at the end of the game. They had time to mix in some runs but basically just left Jones to scramble for his life. Given the Giants defense you just cannot give the ball back to Dallas with any time left on the clock.

Other than that scoop-and-score--a pretty big qualifier--I thought DJ did about as well as he could have given the support he had.

But he has to clean up the fumbles. That has to get fixed.

I did not like the Giants' play calling at the end of the game. They had time to mix in some runs but basically just left Jones to scramble for his life. Given the Giants defense you just cannot give the ball back to Dallas with any time left on the clock.

Other than that scoop-and-score--a pretty big qualifier--I thought DJ did about as well as he could have given the support he had.

But he has to clean up the fumbles. That has to get fixed.
    I mean, did we have any good reason to believe Garrett would be a good offensive coordinator?

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    A good parallel to DJ is Dwayne Haskins, who many thought was a way better QB prospect and who vowed to show NY was crazy for taking DJ before him. He's now benched in Washington and likely to be traded at first opportunity.
    I had a chance to listen to the WFT game on XM Radio yesterday while returning from Myrtle Beach. The WFT radio team mentioned Haskins demotion to 3rd team behind Allen and Smith. They inferred with Haskins being demoted to 3rd team it could be the hand writing on the wall. Not only has his play been bad, there is some question about his attitude. It was great for Alex Smith to return to the field but I was worried about his health. He took some hard hits and seems to be ok. I don't see WFT doing much until they put a better QB and OL on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I had a chance to listen to the WFT game on XM Radio yesterday while returning from Myrtle Beach. The WFT radio team mentioned Haskins demotion to 3rd team behind Allen and Smith. They inferred with Haskins being demoted to 3rd team it could be the hand writing on the wall. Not only has his play been bad, there is some question about his attitude. It was great for Alex Smith to return to the field but I was worried about his health. He took some hard hits and seems to be ok. I don't see WFT doing much until they put a better QB and OL on the field.
    Can we add better owner?

But yes, the WFT team is in full rebuild mode. Alex Smith returning to the field is the feel-good story of the NFL season. But you don't rebuild with a 36-year-old QB. Kyle Allen? Perhaps.

Can we add better owner?

But yes, the WFT team is in full rebuild mode. Alex Smith returning to the field is the feel-good story of the NFL season. But you don't rebuild with a 36-year-old QB. Kyle Allen? Perhaps.
    As a long-suffering fan, I don't want to feel good, I want to win a stinking game!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    As a long-suffering fan, I don't want to feel good, I want to win a stinking game!
    Go 1-15 and maybe Trevor Lawrence lands in your lap. That's a QB you can build around!!

Go 1-15 and maybe Trevor Lawrence lands in your lap. That's a QB you can build around!!
    Unless both NY teams go 0-16, of course. Then we see how much confidence either have in the incumbent. (Darnold was a draft choice of the old regime.)