Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Rumors swirling that the Panthers are offering 3 first round picks plus CMC for Deshaun Watson. National and local media seem to be taking the "yeah that is totally worth it" position, but it seems insane to me. I don't mind giving up CMC necessarily, but giving up 3 first round picks kind of kills our ability to put pieces around Watson, and it isn't like the Panthers are just a QB away from Superbowl contention.
    Bigly agree. That is nuts.
    Also, didn't we use all of our picks last year on defense? So like you say, we get Watson, and then just hope that our current guys work out great.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Bigly agree. That is nuts.
    Also, didn't we use all of our picks last year on defense? So like you say, we get Watson, and then just hope that our current guys work out great.
    For Watson to really be successful on offense we need to:

1) Overhaul the O-line
    2) Get an elite receiver

Then, while we do have some promising young guys, we have some work to do on defense as well. I just don't know how you do that by giving up basically all of your draft capital for the next 3-4 years (and Carolina has always been better at giving away picks than receiving them, so it isn't like we are swimming in extra 2nd/3rd round picks to try to fill the holes there).

Rumors swirling that the Panthers are offering 3 first round picks plus CMC for Deshaun Watson. National and local media seem to be taking the "yeah that is totally worth it" position, but it seems insane to me. I don't mind giving up CMC necessarily, but giving up 3 first round picks kind of kills our ability to put pieces around Watson, and it isn't like the Panthers are just a QB away from Superbowl contention.
    I am not a GM and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night but this just seems idiotic to me. I know the QB position is paramount in the NFL but as others have said you cannot just stick him out there with no help and expect anything good to happen. If you could he would have been more successful in Houston. Giving up the best player on your team and 3 first round picks isn't worth anyone in the league in my opinion.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

The shelf life of a running back is not very long, just saying.

I don't wanna see CMC go (what a hottie!), nor does my husband, but a franchise QB is more important and has a longer playing career. I do think it may be a bit excessive to offer him AND our next three 1at round picks.

With the departure of Watts, it is also possible that they would be more interested in Burns anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by amusedcupcake View Post
    The shelf life of a running back is not very long, just saying.

I don't wanna see CMC go (what a hottie!), nor does my husband, but a franchise QB is more important and has a longer playing career. I do think it may be a bit excessive to offer him AND our next three 1at round picks.

With the departure of Watts, it is also possible that they would be more interested in Burns anyway.
    Fully agree, I have no objection to including CMC as part of that deal, if it positions the team to win. Giving up CMC and 3 of our next 4 1st round picks makes that extremely unlikely to me. If we could give up this year's #8 and then the other two could be pushed off to later I would be a little more open to it. By the time we finish building around Watson he may well be gone anyway, at which point we'd be out CMC and 3 #1 picks for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I am not a GM and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night but this just seems idiotic to me. I know the QB position is paramount in the NFL but as others have said you cannot just stick him out there with no help and expect anything good to happen. If you could he would have been more successful in Houston. Giving up the best player on your team and 3 first round picks isn't worth anyone in the league in my opinion.
    Maybe Mahomes or a young Aaron Rodgers. Maybe.

Fully agree, I have no objection to including CMC as part of that deal, if it positions the team to win. Giving up CMC and 3 of our next 4 1st round picks makes that extremely unlikely to me. If we could give up this year's #8 and then the other two could be pushed off to later I would be a little more open to it. By the time we finish building around Watson he may well be gone anyway, at which point we'd be out CMC and 3 #1 picks for nothing.

Maybe Mahomes or a young Aaron Rodgers. Maybe.
    Hard to say. I would not have guessed the Lions would get so much for Stafford, who is clearly a lesser talent and older than Watson.

I don't understand the market for NFL quarterbacks. Everyone seems to think the grass is greener with another guy, but is it THAT much greener?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Hard to say. I would not have guessed the Lions would get so much for Stafford, who is clearly a lesser talent and older than Watson.

I don't understand the market for NFL quarterbacks. Everyone seems to think the grass is greener with another guy, but is it THAT much greener?
    Than Teddy? Probably.

Than Teddy? Probably.
    So you like the trade?

Not a Panthers fan myself, but it seems like a lot of assets to get Watson.

So you like the trade?

Not a Panthers fan myself, but it seems like a lot of assets to get Watson.
    Not particularly. I can understand giving up CMC, but not CMC and 3 first round picks.

Than Teddy? Probably.
    Amen. I’d be happy to see anyone start over Teddy again.

A third rounder and a second rounder for Wentz makes that Stafford deal look even more ridiculous, IMHO.

A third rounder and a second rounder for Wentz makes that Stafford deal look even more ridiculous, IMHO.
    I wouldn't trade a used washing machine for Wentz.

I think people are too down on Wentz. That Philly team was dysfunctional, let's see how he does on a better run team before we completely write him off. He has played near MVP caliber before, remember.

I think people are too down on Wentz. That Philly team was dysfunctional, let's see how he does on a better run team before we completely write him off. He has played near MVP caliber before, remember.
    You could very well be right. Wentz might return to his better playing days. But I'm not going to draft him for my fantasy football team. Like you say, wait and see how he does on a better ran team.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm guessing (and hoping) that any interest in Watson is quickly fading.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-civil-lawsuit
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Now up to 12 lawsuits. Yikes!

Yeah. If the Panthers had mortgaged their future for Watson... yikes

Allegations do not equal guilt. Let's see how this plays out before assuming Mr. Watson is guilty.

Allegations do not equal guilt. Let's see how this plays out before assuming Mr. Watson is guilty.
    I don’t think anyone said he was guilty but the total is up to 16 now. You want to stay clear of that. Would a GM really want to trade for a guy with 16 lawsuits? I’d hope not.

No, but 16 allegations regardless of veracity, may well mean that the Panthers would have traded off important pieces and draft picks for a player that could never set foot on the field again. Enough to give a GM mild indigestion.