Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Counting this season Chase Brice and Chris Katrenick have two years of eligibility. Gunnar Holmberg has three. Presumed 2020 redshirt Luca Diamont has four.

No question Brice struggled today. But due to COVID-19 he was unable to do any work with his new team until pretty late in the process. He and his receivers and backs and linemen are doing getting-to-know-you stuff in games that in ordinary years would have been done over the summer. That's a tough recipe. I'm a long way from ready to write him off.
    Jim, as always, I respect your opinions; you've forgotten more football than I will ever know.

Here's what I'm seeing. Chase is the least mobile QB Cut has used since Renfree. The read-option we have used the last several years is off the table with him. We are still running Cut's "stay ahead of the down and distance" offense, but without the read option, our short yardage running game is nonexistent. I get that the cancellation of Spring football and the shortened Summer program have made it tough for Cut to design a new offense for Chase's skill set, but right now, I'm having a hard time thinking Chase is better that the two QBs who have been in our system for a few years.

I am by no means writing off Chase, but I will be very disappointed if we don't see changes in the offense next week. I'd bet Cut starts getting CK or GH some drives where we can run our entire playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    Jim, as always, I respect your opinions; you've forgotten more football than I will ever know.

Here's what I'm seeing. Chase is the least mobile QB Cut has used since Renfree. The read-option we have used the last several years is off the table with him. We are still running Cut's "stay ahead of the down and distance" offense, but without the read option, our short yardage running game is nonexistent. I get that the cancellation of Spring football and the shortened Summer program have made it tough for Cut to design a new offense for Chase's skill set, but right now, I'm having a hard time thinking Chase is better that the two QBs who have been in our system for a few years.

I am by no means writing off Chase, but I will be very disappointed if we don't see changes in the offense next week. I'd bet Cut starts getting CK or GH some drives where we can run our entire playbook.
    Brice had 30 carries for 187 yards at Clemson and that includes sacks. A lot of that was in mop-up situations and he certainly had better blockers at Clemson. Still, that suggests some mobility. I wonder how much of his early struggles are a result of hesitation and uncertainty caused by not knowing the playbook and his teammates. He does not seem to be making decisive decisions, or at least the correct decisive decisions.

But I agree. Cut is the head coach, the OC and the quarterback guru. Duke needs to figure this out and it starts with Cut.

Oh, good — they are rebroadcasting the game here this morning. Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Oh, good — they are rebroadcasting the game here this morning. Fun.
    https://www.straightbourbon.com/comm...rly-afternoon/

"I'll drink Bourbon almost anytime, however, if the opportunity presents."

(quoted from the link, not my experience/practice/philosophy )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    https://www.straightbourbon.com/comm...rly-afternoon/

"I'll drink Bourbon almost anytime, however, if the opportunity presents."

(quoted from the link, not my experience/practice/philosophy )
    Apparently, “scotch eggs” means something different than I thought for some.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Apparently, “scotch eggs” means something different than I thought for some.
    "At the Minnesota State Fair Scotch eggs are served on a stick."

Shoot, we shoulda thought of that for the NC State Fair long ago .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "At the Minnesota State Fair Scotch eggs are served on a stick."
    Would that be an example of “Minnesota Fats?”

What was discouraging about this game was Duke's utter inefficiency. We were the equal of BC, and in fact, dominated the action in the second quarter. The Deon Jackson fumble on the four was devastating and redolent of the fumble near the goal line against Cincy in the Belk Bowl. We can't do that. The turnovers and lack of opportunism on offense were obvious. In fact, with the fumbles inside the ten and the missed kicks, we left 18 points on the field, and we that's not counting the losses from three other turnovers.

This was a team that played like the worst in the Franks and Roof era -- some talent on the field but no effective offense.

BC was fired up, I guess, so we will likely do better in future games, as the team realizes the challenges it faces.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Honest Evaluation Questions

I thought that the talent level had risen significantly within the football program. That improvement, coupled with coaching that had been successful in developing less talented players to attain results beyond what might have been expected, and the introduction of winning habits led me to believe Duke football had reached a level of sustained successful performance. That is obviously not the case at the moment. The ultimate measure of success, wins and losses, shows a clear pattern in the wrong direction. I am certainly not inside the program, but if better talent leads to poorer performance (in a division that has not had a dominant team - different winners each year since Duke won its title), serious evaluation is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by peteandpete View Post
    I thought that the talent level had risen significantly within the football program. That improvement, coupled with coaching that had been successful in developing less talented players to attain results beyond what might have been expected, and the introduction of winning habits led me to believe Duke football had reached a level of sustained successful performance. That is obviously not the case at the moment. The ultimate measure of success, wins and losses, shows a clear pattern in the wrong direction. I am certainly not inside the program, but if better talent leads to poorer performance (in a division that has not had a dominant team - different winners each year since Duke won its title), serious evaluation is needed.
    I doubt anyone will argue with you on these points today. It's a very disheartening and sobering morning for Duke Football.

Of course, everything might look better in a week, but it's rather bleak at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    What was discouraging about this game was Duke's utter inefficiency. We were the equal of BC, and in fact, dominated the action in the second quarter. The Deon Jackson fumble on the four was devastating and redolent of the fumble near the goal line against Cincy in the Belk Bowl. We can't do that. The turnovers and lack of opportunism on offense were obvious. In fact, with the fumbles inside the ten and the missed kicks, we left 18 points on the field, and we that's not counting the losses from three other turnovers.

This was a team that played like the worst in the Franks and Roof era -- some talent on the field but no effective offense.

BC was fired up, I guess, so we will likely do better in future games, as the team realizes the challenges it faces.
    Exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    All I know is Navy beat Tulane with a game winning field goal as time expires.
    Congratulations Bob.

#GUNNERTIME

Well, I sure hope this makes Bob Green feel better. Speaking for just myself, not so much.
    😱

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Well, I sure hope this makes Bob Green feel better. Speaking for just myself, not so much.
    😱
    I’m happy Navy won but sad Duke lost.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Lack of enthusiasm was mentioned on the radio broadcast yesterday. I can remember when we played Miami in 2008 and Richmond in 2009 or 2011 where Cut made similar comments after the game. We have 1-2 games a year like this under Cut, but the off days have been more painful the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Lack of enthusiasm was mentioned on the radio broadcast yesterday. I can remember when we played Miami in 2008 and Richmond in 2009 or 2011 where Cut made similar comments after the game. We have 1-2 games a year like this under Cut, but the off days have been more painful the past 5 years.
    We've had so many horrific performances in the last couple years that I don't think enthusiasm is the principal problem..our defense can be respectable or better, but on offense we have no playmakers (ok, maybe Jackson) and an outdate, predictable scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    We've had so many horrific performances in the last couple years that I don't think enthusiasm is the principal problem..our defense can be respectable or better, but on offense we have no playmakers (ok, maybe Jackson) and an outdate, predictable scheme.
    Ball security has emerged as an over-riding problem for the offense. Duke was one of the worst teams in FBS last season in turning over the ball and the early trend lines for 2020 are not encouraging to say the least.

Which is directly related to red-zone efficiency. You can't keep getting first-and-goal without getting the ball into the end zone. Not sure if this is talent, play-calling, coaching, all of the above. But nobody does a worse job of converting yards to points.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Ball security has emerged as an over-riding problem for the offense. Duke was one of the worst teams in FBS last season in turning over the ball and the early trend lines for 2020 are not encouraging to say the least.

Which is directly related to red-zone efficiency. You can't keep getting first-and-goal without getting the ball into the end zone. Not sure if this is talent, play-calling, coaching, all of the above. But nobody does a worse job of converting yards to points.
    We rarely seem to have receivers wide open...our drives consist of a whole lot of tight throws, leaving little margin of error. When the field gets short in the red zone, we just don't have the scheme or players (take your pick) to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    When the field gets short in the red zone, we just don't have the scheme or players (take your pick) to get the job done.
    Yes, unfortunately neither Robert Baldwin or Randy Cuthbert are walking through that door. Sorry, was that too pessimistic?

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Yes, unfortunately neither Robert Baldwin or Randy Cuthbert are walking through that door. Sorry, was that too pessimistic?
    no, it was realistic. Hey, I'm undeterrable as a Duke football fan (as are many of us) but I just don't see ANY reason for optimism at this point in time...the rest of our division is moving in a positive direction, and we're clearly regressing.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    They'd probably fumble if they did.

Now, that's too pessimistic.