Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Duke – Notre Dame

The conclusion of Notre Dame’s season was supposed to be “get well time” for the coach, their team and the football-veracious ND fans/alums. Obviously, it hasn’t worked out that way, with consecutive losses to Navy and Air Force. Duke and Stanford conclude ND’s season, and I have this visceral feeling that our Blue Devils will win next Saturday. Despite improvements, we have a LONG way to go, but, clearly, this has been ND’s worst season in many years (probably ever).

The key questions seem to be: (1) Is Notre Dame – attitude and tenacity – currently capable of winning? (2) Will Notre Dame use this home game to help restore they pride? (3) Can – and will – Duke seize this opportunity, play a solid game on both sides of the ball, and win?

Years from now, few will remember that 2007 was a truly atypical season for the Irish, but the record can document Duke's victory over this historically storied program on 17 November.

11/17

GO DUKE! BEAT THE IRISH!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Sadly I don't think this game matters much except to the players who, hopefully, play because they simply love the game of football, love to compete, and will try like hell to win.

If Duke wins, I don't think it will be that significant, because Notre Dame is so down this year, and such a win will always be explained away for that reason. I don't think it will save Roof's job, whether a change is made this year or at the end of his contract - whenever that is. If we win, it would not be as impressive of a win as Northwestern, considering the teams' records this year.

If Duke loses, it won't matter to either school that much. ND can hardly be proud at beating a program with our recent record, and well, it would just be more of the same result for us.

I'm sure our guys are hungry for a win, any win, and I hope they can pull it off so as to not be completely bottom of the barrel. But I think the result of the game will change nothing about the future of our program, nor will it change the national perception of it. A win vs. ND and then one vs. UNC, now that might make a dent. But, as Nuke LaLoosh said, we've gotta take one game at a time.

Notre Dame

About the only thing that I'm sure of is that Duke will play hard. Not saying they'll play well. Not sure they'll win. But the players haven't quit and the prospect of winning at Notre Dame -- even in a bad year for the Irish -- is a terrific motivator.

Is very much like during the 1995 basketball season, when Duke suddenly fell apart. Nobody came into Cameron with the attitude "well, it doesn't mean much because they're so down this year." Beating Duke -- even a bad Duke team -- was still a big, BIG deal.

I know Duke will play hard. I also know that Notre Dame will take the field expecting to win. Whether that makes them play harder or makes them more vulnerable, I don't know.

C'mon. How many of you expected that Duke and Notre Dame would enter the game with identical records? Show of hands...

It's a huge game. If Duke wins, it really sets us up for next year, helps with recruiting, etc. I don't care that they're having a down year. It's still in South Bend, on television, and would be great for the program.

I'll be there at the game. It should be pretty awesome, especially if we win. I think that the reaction that Navy had after beating ND sums it up: this is still Notre Dame.

One of my coworkers and former Duke teammates is trying to get me to go down with him next weekend. I'm seriously considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Sadly I don't think this game matters much except to the players who, hopefully, play because they simply love the game of football, love to compete, and will try like hell to win.

If Duke wins, I don't think it will be that significant, because Notre Dame is so down this year, and such a win will always be explained away for that reason. I don't think it will save Roof's job, whether a change is made this year or at the end of his contract - whenever that is. If we win, it would not be as impressive of a win as Northwestern, considering the teams' records this year.

If Duke loses, it won't matter to either school that much. ND can hardly be proud at beating a program with our recent record, and well, it would just be more of the same result for us.

I'm sure our guys are hungry for a win, any win, and I hope they can pull it off so as to not be completely bottom of the barrel. But I think the result of the game will change nothing about the future of our program, nor will it change the national perception of it. A win vs. ND and then one vs. UNC, now that might make a dent. But, as Nuke LaLoosh said, we've gotta take one game at a time.
    I completely disagree. While Notre Dame has already had their worst season ever, losing to Duke would be the lowest point in their season. Notre Dame has played a brutal schedule this year. I'm not sure they were favored in any of their games so far this year. But they should be favored against Duke and a loss to us will be hugely embarrasing for Notre Dame.

As far as Duke goes, this game means a lot. I don't think if we win it will mean our program is necessarily "on the rise" but I think it will be "cool" to say we beat Notre Dame. Everyone wants to beat Duke in basketball and even a down year last year didn't change that.

I think we have a good shot at beating Notre Dame and I can't wait for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    I completely disagree. While Notre Dame has already had their worst season ever, losing to Duke would be the lowest point in their season. Notre Dame has played a brutal schedule this year. I'm not sure they were favored in any of their games so far this year. But they should be favored against Duke and a loss to us will be hugely embarrasing for Notre Dame.

As far as Duke goes, this game means a lot. I don't think if we win it will mean our program is necessarily "on the rise" but I think it will be "cool" to say we beat Notre Dame. Everyone wants to beat Duke in basketball and even a down year last year didn't change that.

I think we have a good shot at beating Notre Dame and I can't wait for the game.
    if duke can beat nd, it would be a VERY big win no matter how down nd is this year. the analogies cited above regarding duke in 1995 are spot on. i also think that if nd loses next week, weis is gone (i assume that the ban on talking about roof doesn't apply to coaches at other schools). that 10-year $30MM contract isn't looking to pretty right now...

Considering the seasons both teams have had, a loss should be devastating to whichever school has to suffer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Is very much like during the 1995 basketball season, when Duke suddenly fell apart. Nobody came into Cameron with the attitude "well, it doesn't mean much because they're so down this year." Beating Duke -- even a bad Duke team -- was still a big, BIG deal.
    I agree... actually beating Duke whether good or bad, up or down... anytime... IS a BIG DEAL... ESPECIALLY in Cameron. And, I will TOTALLY hang my hat on a win against ND especially at "their house"... no matter what. This IS a big game, given the circumstances that just might allow a Duke win.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    And, I will TOTALLY hang my hat on a win against ND especially at "their house"... no matter what. This IS a big game, given the circumstances that just might allow a Duke win.
    I am going to watch the game on TV instead of playing golf next Saturday. That is how big a deal I think it is.

GO DUKE!BEAT THE IRISH!

9F 9F 9F

For anyone in the DC area, there will be a watch party on Saturday at Buffalo Billiards. It's geared as a young alumni event, but we welcome anyone that bleeds Duke Blue. Should be a great time!

My heart will bleeding two blues on Saturday...Duke Blue and Michigan Blue. Hopefully it will be a good day of football!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I'll be in attendance at Notre Dame. Let's paint Michiana Duke blue.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

ND has opened as 5-pt favorites. I hope I'm wrong but I think they romp, to be honest. As bad as ND has been this season, I still think they're a notch above Duke in recruited talent and that notch will be demonstrated on the field Saturday when the Irish take out a season's worth of frustration on our boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    As bad as ND has been this season, I still think they're a notch above Duke in recruited talent...
    "A notch"!??!?!

How many kids on the Duke roster would have even been considered at Notre Dame? Aside from Vince O, is there anyone else on the Duke team who would have gotten an offer from Notre Dame?

--Jason "recruiting ranking don't win games though" Evans

Haha, yeah, I was trying to be nice. I do think Duke has their share of decent run/jump guys and ND's recruiting fell off during the Willingham years, but if there were an NFL scouting combine consisting of only ND and Duke players, ND would probably still have 40 of the top 50 rated players or so after the combine, I would guess.

I really hope Duke wins, but I must admit I am impressed that anyone thinks Duke has a chance even against a really bad Notre Dame team. After watching every home game, especially the last two....Duke is about as bad as it can possibly be. I mean guys are even dropping wide open passes. Sorry to sound so negative, but GEEZE, they are playing terrible football. At times it is almost comical.

And Duke has nothing to gain. If they win, well everyone is beating Notre Dame. If they lose...I can just hear SportsCenter now cracking on the team for losing. It just adds more fuel to the laughing stock of college football.

Sorry fellow fans...I'm just having to vent a little. Especially after the last 2 games in which I question the effort. If you weren't there at the game against Tech you would not believe how many wide open passes were dropped. Would have been much worse on the scoreboard if not for some turnovers by Tech.

Regis is due for a big disappointment

Regis Philbin, noted Notre Dame fan extraordinaire, said on his show today that he is glad to see Duke on their schedule this week, as they are favored (by 5 1/2 points in this morning's paper). Me thinks he is in for a really big disappointment on Saturday!

GO DUKE! BEAT THE IRISH!

9F 9F 9F

this might be a stupid question for those former and current Crazies, and Duke students/alums...But what does the 9F 9F 9F mean about Carolina?