Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 2020 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    It’s regional. It was originally scheduled as a regional Sunday 1pm game, and apparently the NFL has contractual minimums with Direct TV for their Sunday ticket package so they couldn't take another game away from them and show it nationally.
    Weird. TV really runs the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Weird. TV really runs the NFL.
    In a stupid way that seems like it would reduce ad revenue, but I guess maybe NFL Sunday Ticket subscriptions make up for it?

Wow! I was pulling for the Steelers to go undefeated, but hard not to pull for Alex Smith (I've been a fan of him for a long time, and hate how his career has panned out with the injury after his amazing season during Mahomes' rookie year).

Big win for the Football Team. Sadly, the further we go into the season the moremi believe that 'Riverboat Ron' threw the entire season away with one play call.... going for two against the Giants on the last play of the game. It was just incredibly stupid. And yes, I called it stupid even before knowing the outcome of the play.

I will say, there are a lot of really tight wildcard races in both the AFC and NFC this year. The extra wildcards help somewhat, but there will be some pretty good teams left out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I will say, there are a lot of really tight wildcard races in both the AFC and NFC this year. The extra wildcards help somewhat, but there will be some pretty good teams left out this year.
    Like my top 5 in points but missing the playoffs fantasy team? Oops wrong thread...

Due to the NFC East, there will be at least one pretty bad team hosting a game in the playoffs as well.

Like my top 5 in points but missing the playoffs fantasy team? Oops wrong thread...

Due to the NFC East, there will be at least one pretty bad team hosting a game in the playoffs as well.
    They should really change the rule so that a team that makes the playoffs under .500 doesn't get to host.

I hear a lot of complaining about the NFC East. Sure, their combined record is pretty lousy.

On the other hand, the Giants just traveled to Seattle and beat the Seahawks, even though the Giants were missing their starting quarterback. Oh, and the Washington Football Team traveled to Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers, even though they lost their best running back in the first quarter and their best receiver only had 14 yards. (They got a total of 28 yards out of their two most dynamic offensive players.)

So....maybe the NFC East isn't currently as weak as they were early in the season? According to this week's results, apparently an NFC East team with a losing record can't always be counted on to roll over and play dead.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

^ yes, they are clearly improving, plus the Cowboys still stink which the world can applaud. Condolences to Jerry Jones.

Some interesting stats for the Washington Football Team. In their last 7 games they are 4-3 with the 3 losses coming by a combined 7 points. Alex Smith (all time comeback player of the year) is 3-1 as a starter. The team is improving as the season wears on. If we could squeak into the playoffs, it would be so satisfying to win a playoff game (if for no other reason than to hear everyone complain about the NFC East).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ yes, they are clearly improving, plus the Cowboys still stink which the world can applaud. Condolences to Jerry Jones.
    I do not approve of the “world can applaud” portion of your commentary. However, if you were trying to say something negative about Jerry Jones I’m fully onboard with that.

The guy is both the single-worst contract negotiator and hirer of coaches in the entire NFL. I don’t think anyone in league history has ever been the worst at both of those things simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Some interesting stats for the Washington Football Team. In their last 7 games they are 4-3 with the 3 losses coming by a combined 7 points. Alex Smith (all time comeback player of the year) is 3-1 as a starter. The team is improving as the season wears on. If we could squeak into the playoffs, it would be so satisfying to win a playoff game (if for no other reason than to hear everyone complain about the NFC East).
    Add that to the 6-3 record as a starter before he got hurt in 2018 and he’s 9-4 compared to other QBs who were 3-11 with the same roster those two seasons. Despite very pedestrian stats the team just wins with him under center in a way they don’t when he’s not playing.

Add that to the 6-3 record as a starter before he got hurt in 2018 and he’s 9-4 compared to other QBs who were 3-11 with the same roster those two seasons. Despite very pedestrian stats the team just wins with him under center in a way they don’t when he’s not playing.
    I've seen it suggested that after this season the comeback player of the year award should just be named after Alex Smith. He does make a difference on this team. I know he gets the 'game manager' label but that's not that bad of a thing if it's done at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I've seen it suggested that after this season the comeback player of the year award should just be named after Alex Smith. He does make a difference on this team. I know he gets the 'game manager' label but that's not that bad of a thing if it's done at a high level.
    He has also shown that he can be more than just a game manager in his final season at KC. Would have been really interesting to see what his career looked like if not for the serious injury (although playing for the WFT might not have helped much )

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    He has also shown that he can be more than just a game manager in his final season at KC. Would have been really interesting to see what his career looked like if not for the serious injury (although playing for the WFT might not have helped much )
    I agree on both parts. Note that I said he could be considered a game manager but I didn't say that I thought he was just a game manager :-)

You are also right that playing for the WFT with Jay Gruden as HC might not have given Alex a chance to show much.

ESPN reporting Bucs and Brady agree to a 4-year extension. I mean, c’mon...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I hope he keeps playing as long as it takes for him to finally have just a completely putrid season, after which he retires in disgrace*.

*Although I do wish he was doing it in someone else's division

I just read that it is really just a one year extension with three voidable years...NFL contracts are rarely what they seem.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Pats re-signed Cam. That's a bit of a surprise. $14M to take a chance. Again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I just read that it is really just a one year extension with three voidable years...NFL contracts are rarely what they seem.
    I think what usually happens in these cases is that they want to save salary cap space next year. So instead of paying a guy $12m in a year and taking a $12m cap hit, they give him a 4 year, $15m deal and a big signing bonus up front. The signing bonus is then spread over the four years. So using $15m as a sample, they could give him a $10m signing bonus and $1.25m per year. So that would count as $2.5m against the cap for the next 4 years plus the salary. So each year he actually plays he counts as $3.75m against their salary cap. If he plays one year only then TB12 makes $11.25 million next year, counts as only $3.75 against the cap and then $2.5m the next 3 years with him retired.

I could be wrong but that's my understanding of how it works more or less. The other rule of thumb I go by with NFL contracts is to look a the guaranteed pay and ignore the rest.