Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Imagine how many people quickly turned off the TV when it looked like Seattle had scored the winning TD, before the announcer noticed the flag. Because it was past a lot of people's bedtimes.
    Are people turning the TV off that​ fast? The flag came out fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm going to disagree. First, the probability of successfully kicking even a close-in field goal is not more than about 94%, and that doesn't count problems with penalties or other difficulties that don't result in a field goal attempt. Second, the win probability of a team up 4 with a minute to play is also over ninety, and from what I've seen, approaches 95%, although the graphs I checked were hard to view precisely. In any case, to the extent that there is a difference at all, it is certainly not a "criminal" one. I've heard a ton of results-based analysis on this (from elsewhere, not necessarily from rsvman or JasonEvans), but IMO, if you are able to grab a four-to-seven point lead late in the fourth quarter, you take it. Get the points in the bank, and let your defense do their jobs. That's why you have them.
    I know others have showed you how your odds and the such are wrong regarding short FGs. But, I still want to be clear about something... I am not saying the Falcons should not have tried to score a TD. I am saying they should have run more time off the clock before doing so. Take a knee or tell Gurley to make absolutely certain that he does not go in the end zone. There was 1:12 left on the clock when Detroit called their last timeout. The Falcons had a first down at that point and I think they should have done whatever they needed to do to run 30 seconds off that clock. At that point, Gurley can score and there isn't nearly as much time for Detroit to get back in it. There is just a huge huge difference in having to traverse the field to score a TD with 30 seconds on the clock and with 1:00 on the clock. The Falcons failure to address that is not quite as stupid as waiting for the onside kick to go 10 yards in the Cowboys game, but it is kinda close.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    If I were a Falcons fan I think I would be happy that they lost that game because it helps improve their draft position. This season is lost. Falcons aren’t going anywhere — even if they had won that game — with a terrible defense and uncertain/chaotic coaching situation.

I’m not saying to literally lose on purpose, but I am saying that as a fan I would have been happier to improve my team’s draft position than to win a relatively meaningless game.
    Yup, and as I said figuring out absurdly chaotic ways for the Falcons to lose games has become a wonderful sport here in Atlanta. None of us want to see a duplication of last year when the team was 1-7 and then won 6 of their last 8 to go from the top of the draft to the middle of the first round without ever sniffing playoff contention.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Here's another way to think about if Gurley made the right play by scoring.
    Gurley was bummed out and the Lions players were the ones celebrating the TD.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Jason, have you spent time in Woodstock? That’s a happening little spot on the outskirts of Atlanta with a bunch of cool shops, yoga studios, restaurants, and music venues all in close proximity to each other and within easy walking distance of quite a substantial number of pretty sweet, newish homes.

I’m there quite a bit because my sister, brother-in-law, a couple of nephews, an aunt and uncle, and two cousins all live there. Atlanta’s a fun city to visit. Let’s hope the Falcons hire a great head coach. Should have drafted Luka Doncic, though.

Jason, have you spent time in Woodstock? That’s a happening little spot on the outskirts of Atlanta with a bunch of cool shops, yoga studios, restaurants, and music venues all in close proximity to each other and within easy walking distance of quite a substantial number of pretty sweet, newish homes.

I’m there quite a bit because my sister, brother-in-law, a couple of nephews, an aunt and uncle, and two cousins all live there. Atlanta’s a fun city to visit. Let’s hope the Falcons hire a great head coach. Should have drafted Luka Doncic, though.
    They did draft Luka....

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    They did draft Luka...
    Well technically, yes. So let me rephrase to “The Hawks should have drafted AND KEPT Luka Doncic”.

Maybe my cowboys can pick up bobby boucher .then we may have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Maybe my cowboys can pick up bobby boucher .then we may have a chance.
    There ya’ go! How ‘bout dem ‘Boys!!
    Cajun America’s Team!

I've lived in Atlanta pretty much my whole life. By "in Atlanta" I mean inside the perimeter (I-285) that circles the city. I just don't get OTP (outside the perimeter) very often. Woodstock is a haul from where I live, like 30-45 minutes north of town.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I've lived in Atlanta pretty much my whole life. By "in Atlanta" I mean inside the perimeter (I-285) that circles the city. I just don't get OTP (outside the perimeter) very often. Woodstock is a haul from where I live, like 30-45 minutes north of town.
    Do you city folks ever dream of moving out to the country.i dont mean total isolationism.but a chicken walking down main street wouldn't be unusual type of country.
    We are no where near as big as atlanta .
    But i miss the small town days. Five more years and im back in the sticks.

Actually curious because soon as i get into a city.i panic literally.i am just ready to run away.
    I was thinking maybe city folk's do the same in the country.

Do you city folks ever dream of moving out to the country.i dont mean total isolationism.but a chicken walking down main street wouldn't be unusual type of country.

Actually curious because soon as i get into a city.i panic literally.i am just ready to run away.
    There's something in between the city and the country... it is called the burbs and it is where I live. I love animals and trees and rivers and hills to climb... but I also love restaurants and sporting arenas and movie theaters and all that stuff. Burbs give you a easy access to both.

I live a mile from the beltway, and there are a dozen chickens in my neighbor's yard.

-jk

Another week in the NFL, another lame contact with an official ejection. Just take the officials off the field and have them watch from the booth, good lord.

I'm a Giants fan and don't like the Cowboys. But I feel bad for their quarterback - poor guy just looks totally overmatched out there. The NFC East is really awful this year.

Brady was more crucial to Pats’ success than Belichick. Delicious angle. Just delicious.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...e-every-sunday

Alex Smith gets the start today for WFT against Detroit. Although I generally ignore Dan Snyder’s club, I will turn on the game and root for Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by DST Fan View Post
    Alex Smith gets the start today for WFT against Detroit. Although I generally ignore Dan Snyder’s club, I will turn on the game and root for Alex.
    They are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    They are terrible.
    Told you so.

Only the Washington Football Team could lose a game they had just tied up with something like 20 seconds remaining, and do so by having a guy they picked SECOND OVERALL in the last draft make the team lose by a petty, useless shove of an opposing quarterback who had just overthrown a deep receiver. The shove gave the Lions 15 yards and made the field goal attempt 59 yards. Without the penalty, that would have been 74, and they would have taken a knee and taken their chances in the overtime.

Which the “Football Team” may also have found a way to lose. Sad when that is the thought I use to console myself. LOL. What a train wreck of a team!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

The Fam of weezie designated that game as The Stupid Bowl. Just a hot mess in Detroit. The best thing about that game was the color guy calling his first NFL game ever. Aqib Talib was terrific. Upbeat, excited and really very good on calls.
    Despite the win, I would have fired Fatty Patty before he walked into the locker room. Jeebus he's awful.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Questionable play call on 4th down for the Packers there.