Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I saw the Eagles game in week 1 but I didn't get to watch the week 2 game. Online lots of people throwing Haskins under the bus (a few apologists blaming the o-line, valid concern). So when I was watching the game yesterday I was paying very close attention to Haskins (and the o-line). I have to admit, I wasn't impressed at all. He was able to make short, in rhythm throws with accuracy. Others throws were a disaster (inconsistent) and, as pointed out by the announcers, he was staring down his targets. In addition, he's not quick, so using RPO to keep the defense off balance won't really be an option. Hate to give up on a guy after a handful of starts but I have concerns.
    Not to mention his tendency to overthrow receivers. He does that a LOT!

He's got arm strength. He can throw the ball. He just needs to learn how to go through a progression and make the RIGHT throw, and how to get the longer balls not to sail over the receiver's head.

He's for sure a work in progress. I'm not sure if he is ever going to be good, but he has the underlying skill that is necessary to be good. I'm willing to give him a few more games before I throw him under the bus.

Sad part is, if we had a good quarterback, we win that game. The Arizona game might still have been a loss, but we'd be 2-1 instead of 1-2.

I am happy with the new coaches, though. I think the offense is livelier than it has been in several years. The defense is also well-coached now. If we can only get Haskins to settle in a little, we might even WIN a few games!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

He's got arm strength. He can throw the ball. He just needs to learn how to go through a progression and make the RIGHT throw, and how to get the longer balls not to sail over the receiver's head.

He's for sure a work in progress. I'm not sure if he is ever going to be good, but he has the underlying skill that is necessary to be good. I'm willing to give him a few more games before I throw him under the bus.

Sad part is, if we had a good quarterback, we win that game. The Arizona game might still have been a loss, but we'd be 2-1 instead of 1-2.

I am happy with the new coaches, though. I think the offense is livelier than it has been in several years. The defense is also well-coached now. If we can only get Haskins to settle in a little, we might even WIN a few games!
    I hope he listens to Alex Smith. Patrick Mahomes speaks highly of how his mentorship helped him her in KC.

Anybody else watching possibly the top two teams in the NFL playing tonight? 6-3 KC after first drive for each team.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Looks like the Falcons are pretending to build a durable lead again.
    With some definite help from the refs - two Bears TDs overturned on review (first one very questionably IMHO), plus a Matt Ryan strip sack deep in Falcon territory called back on a somewhat dubious roughing the passer penalty. I am biased, of course, but I do think the Bears were the better team for much of the game. Might be the weakest 3-0 start in NFL history, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So many great 1:00 games today and the Triangle gets the WFT vs the Browns
    I think they are more appropriately referred to as the WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    No, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

This is spot on. I'm not throwing him under the bus and giving up on him but he had a really bad game on Sunday and the O-Line did a pretty good job. This isn't a 1 year turn around so I'm OK using this as a growth year. Hopefully Haskins grows and we get O-Line help in the offseason (we will have a good bit of cap space)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    That is how I read it every time I see it - I need to translate it in my head to fit the conversation.

COVID has come to the NFL. Titans shut down their practice facility after 3 players and 5 non-players test positive. Vikings, who played them over the weekend, are also shutting down just in case.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...itive-covid-19
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Anybody else watching possibly the top two teams in the NFL playing tonight? 6-3 KC after first drive for each team.
    That was a very fun game!

Looks like the Titans have had several players test positive since the game Sunday. Their facility will be shut down all week (their game is still on the schedule as of now). Minnesota will also be shutting down for the week. Curious to see how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Looks like the Titans have had several players test positive since the game Sunday. Their facility will be shut down all week (their game is still on the schedule as of now). Minnesota will also be shutting down for the week. Curious to see how this turns out.
    Mixed bag for their opponents. Great to get to face a team that couldn't practice all week. But not a good look if you lose to them anyway.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Mixed bag for their opponents. Great to get to face a team that couldn't practice all week. But not a good look if you lose to them anyway.
    Are the Jets or Atlanta playing either of them?

The Titans - Steelers game this Sunday has been postponed because of the Covid outbreak on the Titans.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Titans - Steelers game this Sunday has been postponed because of the Covid outbreak on the Titans.
    More specifically, it's been pushed back to Monday or Tuesday (though I suppose if the Titans have a more widespread outbreak, it could be further postponed).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The most surprising thing is that we made it this far into the season before a game had to be postponed.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    More specifically, it's been pushed back to Monday or Tuesday (though I suppose if the Titans have a more widespread outbreak, it could be further postponed).
    And just like that, the Titans have two more positives (one player, one personnel) and the game will be rescheduled for some point later in the season. Obviously much much harder to move the football schedule around than it was with baseball, so if there are further outbreaks around the league, things could get dicey in a hurry.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...positive-tests

Best run of the season?

Jamieson Crowder is a terrific NFL receiver. The Jets are using him as their main 3rd-down receiver. My suggestion is that they use him as a first-down receiver -- by third down, it's often too late for the 0-4 Jets.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Jamieson Crowder is a terrific NFL receiver. The Jets are using him as their main 3rd-down receiver. My suggestion is that they use him as a first-down receiver -- by third down, it's often too late for the 0-4 Jets.
    His career has been plagued with hamstring injuries, but he has been excellent for the Jets (and before that, the Redskins) when healthy.

Chiefs Patriots game is postponed - maybe Monday or Tuesday. Reports are that Cam Newton tested positive and a practice roster QB for the Chiefs also tested positive.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nf...246197335.html