Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    But someone or some folks still have to seed all 351 teams. So incomplete seasons for many teams will rock the seeding folks
    I don't understand what problem you're trying to point out.

So Bill and Mary finally make the Big Dance. Big news for those alum as they warm up their TVs for March madness.

From another post, it was mentioned that Duke could play the #88 seed... someone or some folks have to decide who is that #88 seed... or #234 seed... etc. but imagine the #1 seed losing to the #351 seed.

But someone or some folks still have to seed all 351 teams. So incomplete seasons for many teams will rock the seeding folks
    If this proposal comes to pass, I predict that all or almost all of the seedings will be based on NCAA NET ratings.

LOL at Lunardi, whose job is to predict which teams get in the tournament, immediately coming out against this idea. 🤣

CBS will have some concerns about the proposal. The Final Four weekend every year occurs one week before the Masters.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    LOL at Lunardi, whose job is to predict which teams get in the tournament, immediately coming out against this idea. 🤣
    His concluding comment was really dumb, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lunardi
    In the meantime, I remained unconvinced this isn't a self-serving ploy to avoid nonconference games and/or get every ACC team into the NCAA tourney.
    I mean, the ACC coaches explicitly said they are proposing this to eliminate nonconference games. And, yes, a tournament including every DI program would result in every ACC team getting into the tournament. What is even the point of this statement?

he should be all for it. he can't be as wrong as he usually is under this format.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    His concluding comment was really dumb, too.

I mean, the ACC coaches explicitly said they are proposing this to eliminate nonconference games. And, yes, a tournament including every DI program would result in every ACC team getting into the tournament. What is even the point of this statement?
    It seems clear to me that the coaches stick together. "Not making the NCAA's" is most often cited in firing a coach. I am sure K found support for his idea among the coaching fraternity.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If it means we get rid of Lunardi permanently I am 100% in favor of this proposal.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    CBS will have some concerns about the proposal. The Final Four weekend every year occurs one week before the Masters.
    I bet CBS will take their money any time of year. They are just hoping beyond hope that there is a tournament at all.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

From another post, it was mentioned that Duke could play the #88 seed... someone or some folks have to decide who is that #88 seed... or #234 seed... etc. but imagine the #1 seed losing to the #351 seed.

Ssshhhhh, we still probably have some UVA fans reading DBR...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A lot of Lunardi’s arguments against this were Covid safety related. However we could probably think of ways to make the large tournament safe. First the early rounds would have to be regionally based with limited travel. Then pick 16 arenas that are bubbles for games all the way to the sweet 16. Then pick one arena for the rest of the tournament. Any thoughts?

No thanks. No, no, no, no, no. Nope. No way.

I thought we dodged the dreaded “First 1-Seed to Lose to a 16-Seed” bullet when UMBC knocked off UVA.

I now fear that we were being lulled into a false sense of security and are staring down the barrel of the enormously more calamitous “First (And Only) 1-Seed to Lose to an 86-Seed.”

We're going to need a second foldout whiteboard. With more colored markers. "One Shining Moment" may be a half hour long.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Shane Battier turns 42 today !

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Shane Battier turns 42 today !
    Then I wish him a long life, the universe and everything!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    True story:

Years ago the final round of the Masters fell on an Easter Sunday. Back then the leaders went off early. CBS went to Chairman Clifford Roberts, and explained that many viewers would be at Easter services and therefore miss much of the broadcast. Given that, couldn’t the Masters move tee times?

Roberts’ response — “why don’t you tell the guy who runs a Easter to change his time instead.”

Tl;dr — absent a pandemic, the Masters is running the first full week in April whether anyone is there to televise it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    True story:

Years ago the final round of the Masters fell on an Easter Sunday. Back then the leaders went off early. CBS went to Chairman Clifford Roberts, and explained that many viewers would be at Easter services and therefore miss much of the broadcast. Given that, couldn’t the Masters move tee times?

Roberts’ response — “why don’t you tell the guy who runs a Easter to change his time instead.”

Tl;dr — absent a pandemic, the Masters is running the first full week in April whether anyone is there to televise it or not.
    To be honest, the Masters should move to a week earlier. Global warming is something they can’t control.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    True story:

if there is a higher concentration of people with f* you money, I don't know it. They're holding their tournament when they want, the way they want it and don't really care what anyone else thinks. The fact that it took them so long to televise thursday and friday, and official coverage STILL doesn't start until the afternoon on those days (though online streams cover a lot of it now), is testament to that.
    April 1