Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rip RBG

Rip RBG

Dead at 87. Hell of a fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Dead at 87. Hell of a fighter.
    Notoriously so. Damn.

E3C66E85-5153-4A2C-BFB0-A837C00F023A.jpg
    Last edited by Tripping William; 09-18-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Yep

She will go down in history as one of the greatest Justices.

Absolutely sad. Amazing woman.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    A sorority sister of mine. (different school and many years apart, but I still claim the sisterhood.)

Holy cow.

Such sad news.

Her last wish?

“My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new President is installed.”

My most fervent wish too, Your Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Holy cow.

Such sad news.

Her last wish?

“My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new President is installed.”

My most fervent wish too, Your Honor.
    "Might" be hard to wait 4.25 years.

"Might" be hard to wait 4.25 years.
    Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yikes.
    I should have worded that differently. Not saying I hope she does/does not get this wish, just stating there is a good chance her wish won't come true. And that, I'm assuming, a replacement can be nominated/confirmed before Biden (potentially) takes office.

Doubt very much she said that...

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Doubt very much she said that...
    I've seen it several places. I believe it is a matter of record.

Edit https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/ruth-bader-ginsburg-rbg-dying-wish.html
    Last edited by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15; 09-18-2020 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Citation

I posted something to this effect in the presidential thread, but this is just such a sad and profound loss. She was a pioneer, trailblazer, and a role model for millions. She devoted her life in service to justice for all. I am heartbroken by her death, and even more heartbroken that we can’t go more than sixty minutes before her death becomes a political statement about whether and how her replacement will be named. She deserved, and her family deserves, better than that.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I should have worded that differently. Not saying I hope she does/does not get this wish, just stating there is a good chance her wish won't come true. And that, I'm assuming, a replacement can be nominated/confirmed before Biden (potentially) takes office.
    Doubtful. It would be fought tooth and nail.

RIP, Justice Ginsburg. What a role model!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I posted something to this effect in the presidential thread, but this is just such a sad and profound loss. She was a pioneer, trailblazer, and a role model for millions. She devoted her life in service to justice for all. I am heartbroken by her death, and even more heartbroken that we can’t go more than sixty minutes before her death becomes a political statement about whether and how her replacement will be named. She deserved, and her family deserves, better than that.
    Really hope this isn't directed at me. I made it clear that my comment was not a political jab, but an honest observation. I started the thread to honor her life - I didn't bring politics into the discussion.

Really hope this isn't directed at me. I made it clear that my comment was not a political jab, but an honest observation. I started the thread to honor her life - I didn't bring politics into the discussion.
    This was most certainly not directed at you - this was directed at the world at large. I apologize if you took something personal from it.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    This was most certainly not directed at you - this was directed at the world at large. I apologize if you took something personal from it.
    Gotcha! The world sucks these days.

Gotcha! The world sucks these days.
    The politics will come heavy. Welcome to the internet.

In 3... 2... 1...

I realize that Justice Ginsburg was Jewish, but I want to offer a portion of the commendation from my Anglican funeral service that I feal is appropriate.
    She was one of my heroes and, more importantly, a hero of my daughters. She is a modern saint in that she stood firm for what is true and just.

You only are immortal, the creator and maker of mankind;
    and we are mortal, formed of the earth, and to earth shall we
    return. For so did you ordain when you created me, saying,
    "You are dust, and to dust you shall return." All of us go down
    to the dust; yet even at the grave we make our song: Alleluia,
    alleluia, alleluia.

Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your
    servant Ruth. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of
    your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your
    own redeeming. Receive her into the arms of your mercy,
    into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the
    glorious company of the saints in light. Amen.

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord.
    And let the perpetual light shine upon her.
    May the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

I am not Jewish, but I have seen several sources describing that Jewish tradition holds that those who die on the eve of Rosh Hoshanah are among the most righteous. Feels fitting.

There's a story resurfacing about how RBG, as one of 9 women in a 500 person Harvard Law School that had only recently begun admitting any women, was brought before the Dean who asked her how she could justify taking up a place that should go to a man. As icons of civil rights like John Lewis and gender equality like RBG pass, I do my best to reflect on the America they came up in and helped change for the better. The level of discrimination codified in our legal system and practiced in our culture was immense and stupefying for most of our nation's history and RBG, on the issue of gender equality (as a man, she made the law more equitable for me, too), changed a system that didn't want to see her educated, didn't want to pay her the same wages for the same work, and in many meeting rooms didn't think she as a women even belonged.

That ability to navigate a world that mostly thinks of you as unequal and bend it to your will to make it more equal through shear effing smarts and willpower deserves our reflection, even if you find yourself on the other side of the political aisle. She was a towering figure that led an epic American life filled with tragedy and triumph and did it all with more grace and goodwill than I can muster on most trips to the grocery store. RIP, RBG.