Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Dukies on the 2021 PGA and LPGA Tours

Yep. We're starting a new year -- at least the men on the PGA Tour. The Safeway Open starts Thursday, September 10 at the Silverado Resort and Spa in Napa, CA. I understand that Kevin Streelman is in the field.

2021 is being called a "super season," in that it contains TWO US Opens and TWO Masters Championships. The first US Open is this month, play beginning on Thursday, September 17 at Winged Foot, outside of NYC. The first Masters is November 12-15.

I'll post later on plans and schedules for next year's LPGA tour.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yep. We're starting a new year -- at least the men on the PGA Tour. The Safeway Open starts Thursday, September 10 at the Silverado Resort and Spa in Napa, CA. I understand that Kevin Streelman is in the field.

2021 is being called a "super season," in that it contains TWO US Opens and TWO Masters Championships. The first US Open is this month, play beginning on Thursday, September 17 at Winged Foot, outside of NYC. The first Masters is November 12-15.

The U.S. Open and the Masters have never had to contend with the NFL for television viewers. It will be very interesting to see how that shakes out.

I do not like the way that the PGA has seemingly lined itself up with the academic calendar. I may be going against the flow, but to me the September Open and November Masters will be the 2021 versions.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I do not like the way that the PGA has seemingly lined itself up with the academic calendar. I may be going against the flow, but to me the September Open and November Masters will be the 2021 versions.
    Isn't that the official version? New season starts next week? Two Masters this season?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The U.S. Open and the Masters have never had to contend with the NFL for television viewers. It will be very interesting to see how that shakes out.
    Had to look up the network affiliations for both golf and the NFL. CBS will again do the Masters and, as a result, will not have a 1PM ET game on Sunday, November 15.

I thought there was also a conflict with the U.S. Open, but NBC has bought the TV rights, replacing Fox, and has no daytime NFL games on Sunday, September 20.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

So someone could win 4 majors in a season and NOT win the grand slam?

Also, any idea what they are doing with the Ryder Cup? Is everything pushed back a year, or will it run in back to back years to get back on track? Those things are schedule out for like 20 years already

Ryder Cup will now be held September 21-26, 2021. Same venue:
    https://www.rydercup.com

Safeway Open Thursday tee times:

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/...tee-times.html

Kevin Streelman tees off #1 at 15:40 EDT.
    Wes Roach tees off #1 at 17:00 EDT.
    Bob Green

Ryan Blaum will give it a try as well, 1:10 tee time.

Quote Originally Posted by seacap29 View Post
    Ryan Blaum will give it a try as well, 1:10 tee time.
    Good catch.
    Sage Grouse

It will be interesting to see how the LPGA copes with the 105° temperatures in the desert this week !

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the LPGA copes with the 105° temperatures in the desert this week !
    Plus the smoke. I don't envy them.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

But it's a dry heat.

Think this is considered a “Major” on the tour. Lang, Boutier, Yiu and Maguire all playing.

Streelman starts the 2021 season with a birdie on #1 at the Safeway Open:

https://www.pgatour.com/video/2020/0...eway-open.html

Unfortunately, he double bogeyed #3.
    Bob Green

Opening day scores from the Safeway Open

Streelman E, T99
    Blaum -1, T81
    Roach +1, T116

Not a good day. Leaders at 8 and 9 under.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Streelman E, T99
    Blaum -1, T81
    Roach +1, T116

Streels made two double bogeys in a row and was at +3 after four holes. He rallied after that and all will need a good round today. The cut, while projected at -2, is likely to be -4.
    Sage Grouse

Streelman E, T99
    Blaum -1, T81
    Roach +1, T116

Ryan Blaum and Kevin Streelman are on fire (ugh! poor expression for a CA tournament) -- both -4 today mid-round. Ryan is -5 overall and Streels at -4. Wes Roach is at even par through five holes.

Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

Ryan Blaum and Kevin Streelman are on fire (ugh! poor expression for a CA tournament) -- both -4 today mid-round. Ryan is -5 overall and Streels at -4. Wes Roach is at even par through five holes.

Go Duke!
    Streels finishes 6-under on the day and moves up 81 spots in the standings. He is currently in 18th place and though I expect that to drop as more golfers finish their rounds, he's safely making the cut.

Ryan Blaum shoots 5-under and is at 6-under overall, tied with Streelman.

Roach is 4-under through 15 and 4-under for the tourney, in a tie for 46th place. The cut is currently projected at -3, but could move to -4. Probably want to get to 5-under to feel safe.

The leaders are in the teens under par. It is going to take something like 25-under to win this week... whew.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Roach is 4-under through 15 and 4-under for the tourney, in a tie for 46th place. The cut is currently projected at -3, but could move to -4. Probably want to get to 5-under to feel safe.
    Roach bogeyed his last hole to fall to -3. Costly. Cut is currently sitting at -4.
    Bob Green