Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tom Seaver

RIP Tom Seaver

He was only 75.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...5?platform=amp

Dude could throw.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Favorite player as a kid growing up in SW Connecticut.

Rest well, Tom Terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Favorite player as a kid growing up in SW Connecticut.

Rest well, Tom Terrific.
    Showing my youth: I only remember him as a Cincinnati Red.

As a lifelong Mets fan from the first season in 1962 at the Polo Grounds, Tom Terrific was my idol. I can’t tell you how much it hurt when we traded him to the Reds.

Carried himself on and off the field with grace, dignity, and intelligence.

RIP, Mr. Seaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I guess you don’t remember Nolan Ryan as a Met either, then . . . .

Very sad. I only caught the back end of his career but frequently heard about his greatness during his prime from my Mets-obsessed parents and their sadness when he was traded. I enjoyed him during his stint as a broadcaster for the Yankees. He apparently was in pretty bad shape the last few years - he was unable to participate in festivities around the 50th anniversary of the 1969 Mets. RIP Tom Terrific.

Ouch, for that memory. Ryan for Fregosi.

I only remember Tom as a Met and he was incredible!

Thanks for the great memories, Mr. Seaver.

It took me years to forgive the Mets for trading Seaver (actually I still haven't) - It confirmed my opinion - still held - that my mets are the worst run team in MLB

I remember Seaver and Koosman shutting down the Cubs in August of 1969, setting the stage for that great run to pennant and the World Series.
    He was a regular on Kiner's Korner after his wins and used to discuss his pitching tips. When he was pitching well, his knee brushed the dirt on the pitcher's mound. I always looked for that spot of dirt to see if he was on or not. Great pitcher and great guy.

Could never figure out one of those RC Cola commercials. ("Hey Quick.. comeon over, to RC Cola.. It's the mad mad.. mad mad Cola"!) Better song than drink.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Like duke74, a lifelong Mets fan (even if I’m two years older than they are), it’s a sad, sad day. A big part of my childhood has left us.

The best major league pitcher since WWII, and in the inner circle of the Hall of Fame.

Tom Terrific

Famous and/or accomplished people often disappoint when you meet them. Seaver, however, was more than one could hope he would be. He was kind, attentive, and seemed to be unaware of his legend status.

RIP, Mr. Seaver. A lot of stars in their respective sports are referred to as "the franchise" for their teams. You were certainly that for the Mets, and always will be. No discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    I remember Seaver and Koosman shutting down the Cubs in August of 1969, setting the stage for that great run to pennant and the World Series.
    He was a regular on Kiner's Korner after his wins and used to discuss his pitching tips. When he was pitching well, his knee brushed the dirt on the pitcher's mound. I always looked for that spot of dirt to see if he was on or not. Great pitcher and great guy.

Could never figure out one of those RC Cola commercials. ("Hey Quick.. comeon over, to RC Cola.. It's the mad mad.. mad mad Cola"!) Better song than drink.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Haven’t thought About Kiner’s Korner in years. Ralph Kiner and Lindsey Nelson were the voices with which I grew up.

93F87B55-4D25-4D89-9C5F-EEB11C515550.jpg

I grew up on Long Island as a Mets fan. I wasn't a huge baseball fan, but it was in my blood to hate the Yankees since my dad grew up a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. One of my best friends was a huge Mets fan and Tom Seaver was his favorite player of all time, not even close. For his 11th birthday his parents bought tickets for him and a few of his friends (including me) to see Seaver pitch at Shea. It was the day after (or a few days after) the 1977 trade deadline and, of course, by game day Seaver had been traded for Pat Zachry and a few others in what was locally referred to as the the Midnight Massacre. It broke my buddy's heart that Seaver was gone and we were forced to watch Zachry pitch his first game for the Mets.
    Last edited by Rich; 09-02-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I really hate 2020.

Tom Seaver was one of the finest major league pitchers of all time and was a gentleman on and off the field.
    Prayers for the family. RIP Mr. Seaver.

What do you mean? Nolan Ryan began his career as a California Angel. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

What do you mean? Nolan Ryan began his career as a California Angel. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.
    Nolan showed Robin Ventura who the man was. He'll always be one of my favs.

Here's at least one story. Baltimore HOFer Brooks Robinson was doing color commentary with the Orioles at an Angels game -- years after Nolan had moved on and perhaps retired. "It doesn't seem like a real game here unless, when the sun goes down on the mountains, Nolan Ryan comes strolling out of the bullpen in the twilight."

I used to watch the Angels games on LA TV only when Ryan was pitching -- such as in the game when he broke Koufax's season strikeout record. The game went into extra innings -- Nolan was famous for his endurance -- before he got the last strikeout.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I grew up a Reds fan. The "14" in my username is the number I've always worn when I played sports. It was Pete Rose's number. I was more of a baseball fan when I was younger and fondly remember watching Tom Seaver pitch. Commentators always said that when his knee got dirty, that's when he had it going!

2020, you suck!