Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Anyone catch the Louisiana - App St game last night? It was an exercise in special teams futility.
    At one point, Louisiana was up by 14 points in the 4th. App scored a TD, making it 7. The next play, The Mountaineers defense stood firm, forcing a punt. The snap sailed over the punter's head, the punter chased the ball down and kicked it backwards out of the endzone, making it a 5 point game with the safety.
    No big deal...except that this was the THIRD high snap of the game for Louisiana! Their long snapper was positive that his target was 10' tall.
    Still a 5 point game and with the clock ticking down, Louisiana faces another punt from their end of the field. With a good kick and some defense, they've got a pretty good chance at sealing the victory since a field goal does App no good. But wait! With 4th and 4 on their own 40, Louisiana is keeping their offense on the field? That's crazy, right?
    Not as crazy as the following play.
    The QB gets the ball, and intentionally runs all the way back to his own endzone for another safety! So now, instead of getting the ball deep in their own territory with a 5 point deficit, App gets the ball only down three. A field goal sends this one to OT. (Louisiana has never beaten App State, and it's starting to become obvious why.)

So the Mountaineers get the ball, survive a couple long third downs, and with the benefit of a couple PI flags, are facing a 30 yard field goal to tie the game.
    The kicker shanks it. Not slightly, but like horrendously. Missed it by a good 15 feet at least. It was his second miss of the night, and for the first time in literally forever, Louisiana walked off the App State field winners.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

The kicker shanks it. Not slightly, but like horrendously. Missed it by a good 15 feet at least. It was his second miss of the night, and for the first time in literally forever, Louisiana walked off the App State field winners.
    An article I read this morning stated the kick was tipped by Louisiana.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    An article I read this morning stated the kick was tipped by Louisiana.
    I hope so because otherwise I could have kicked it better.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Coastal Carolina hangs on to win the super-spreader event in Dirty Myrtle tonight, ending BYU’s hopes of aN NY6 bowl (assuming NY6’s bowls don’t go the way of the Sun Bowl).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

UCLA beat Arizona State 25-18. Brittain Brown rushed seven times for 94 yards and added 36 yards on two receptions.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Coastal Carolina hangs on to win the super-spreader event in Dirty Myrtle tonight, ending BYU’s hopes of aN NY6 bowl (assuming NY6’s bowls don’t go the way of the Sun Bowl).
    I hate seeing a Vermont based team like BYU lose, I really do.

The Michigan - Ohio State football game for this Saturday has been cancelled.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Ugh.

Not with a bang...

Among other things, that complicates an Ohio State path to the playoffs. At 5-0, they would fall short of the 6 games the B1G requires for their championship game.

Can they scrounge up a date for the weekend?

How about undefeated Coastal Carolina?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

How about undefeated Coastal Carolina?
    They are scheduled to play Troy though I'm guessing that for enough money Troy can be convinced to cancel the game.

Awesome!

Sarah Fuller scored twice for Vandy today.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1337874206457880577

Awesome!

Interesting... looked like the ref was trying to give her the ball (near the end of the clip). If so, that was Cool

Auburn fires Malzahn and owes him over $21 million. All he did was win twice as much as he lost, play in New Years bowls, and for the national championship one year. So he couldn’t beat Sabin, but who else does regularly? Maybe Michigan State should fire Izzo because he rarely beats K. Wow I would take Gus in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Auburn fires Malzahn and owes him over $21 million. All he did was win twice as much as he lost, play in New Years bowls, and for the national championship one year. So he couldn’t beat Sabin, but who else does regularly? Maybe Michigan State should fire Izzo because he rarely beats K. Wow I would take Gus in a heartbeat.
    Indeed...and not to kick off a discussion that we had in another thread, but one attribute the Duke football job has is a distinct lack of pressure, especially compared with many, many state schools. That's worth something.

Awesome!

I haven't really followed but is this the first scoring opportunity Vandy has had sinced she kicked off the other game or has another kicker been handling the kicks?

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I haven't really followed but is this the first scoring opportunity Vandy has had sinced she kicked off the other game or has another kicker been handling the kicks?
    I think it was the first opportunity. Of note, their coach got fired after the first game, but Fuller was retained on the roster. Also, she did not handle all of the kicking, as they scored a FG, but it's pretty cool that the interim coach kept her on and put her on the field twice.

Pac 12 Nonsense

USC is scheduled to play Washington for the Pac 12 Championship in LA.

Colorado, which like USC is in the South, is undefeated but since they only played 4 conference games due to Covid and USC played 5 then USC is in the title game.

Colorado is supposed to play Oregon in a match up of 2nd place teams. The game will be played not at Oregon nor at Colorado but at USC. This way if either USC or Washington can not play, then the team from that division will play in the title game and I guess the other team goes home.

Of course the games will be played without fans in the stands.

To be this is just total abuse of the players to make TV money.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

Colorado, which like USC is in the South, is undefeated but since they only played 4 conference games due to Covid and USC played 5 then USC is in the title game.

Colorado is supposed to play Oregon in a match up of 2nd place teams. The game will be played not at Oregon nor at Colorado but at USC. This way if either USC or Washington can not play, then the team from that division will play in the title game and I guess the other team goes home.

SoCal
    Now it’s Oregon v. USC, because UW doesn’t have enough available players.

https://twitter.com/espncfb/status/1...447398400?s=21
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post

SoCal
    Your last statement describes all of college sports this fall and winter. I never thought I would argue to pay players but they should all go on strike and demand fair pay for the millions they make for their schools. What a sham COVID-19 has proven college athletics to be. And no, I don’t think Duke has distinguished itself either.