Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That call is technically correct, but a tough call for Clemson.
    Crap call. He wasn’t leading with the helmet. Fields spin at the last second created the helmet to mid-side contact.

Textbook targeting. Now sure how anyone else can see different. They really need different grades of targeting though. Auto ejections are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Crap call. He wasn’t leading with the helmet. Fields spin at the last second created the helmet to mid-side contact.
    What? He clearly lowered his helmet...

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Yep. And I don’t think Clemson can win without Skalski. The defense already looks sub par without Xavier Thomas.
    On the other hand, will Fields be able to gut it out for the rest of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Textbook targeting. Now sure how anyone else can see different. They really need different grades of targeting though. Auto ejections are crazy.
    Right? I think it would be nice if there were some way to amend the rule such that this wasn't an example of targeting, but as written it seems clearly the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Yep. And I don’t think Clemson can win without Skalski. The defense already looks sub par without Xavier Thomas.
    Bingo. As it was, Clemson was just going to have to try and hold on till the 2nd half so their defense could be back at full strength. Now, it’s surely over unless Fields stiffens up and can’t play after halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    What? He clearly lowered his helmet...
    Everyone lowers their helmet when they prepare to tackle a runner by wrapping up around the waist. So many of these targeting calls bang bang and not intentional. That one wasn’t intentional, i.e. “targeted”. There really does need to be grades on that call.

Dabo needed to go on 4th down no far from mid field. He doesn’t have the talent margin to coach conservatively.

On the other hand, will Fields be able to gut it out for the rest of the game?.

Agree. The only way I think Clemson can win without Skalski and Thomas is if Fields is less than 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Dabo needed to go on 4th down no far from mid field. He doesn’t have the talent margin to coach conservatively.
    Yes. And Dabo’s yacking about OSU hasn’t helped either. The Buckeyes came out fired up.

Seems like they could give a warning instead of an ejection when it doesn't involve the head.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    So Ohio State won the toss and elected to defer. Why defer when your opponent is a great offensive team? Does anyone know what the analytics show? It seems to me it is a recipe to start the game behind by a touchdown. Duke repeatedly deferred this year and we seem to always have to play from behind. If the opponent had a sorry offense I would understand the rationale, but not against a superior opponent with a great offense. What say you great football minds?
    Deferring is the commonly accepted standard practice. Lots of articles on the internet. Two main reasons:
    (1) Offensive coordinators like to open the second half knowing how the defense is playing you rather than opening the first half when it's more of an unknown
    (2) The possibility of two consecutive possessions -- the ideal is to score points on the final possession the first half and then get the ball right back at the start of the second half

If Clemson can't figure out a way to tackle Sermon, it is going to be a long night.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Seems like they could give a warning instead of an ejection when it doesn't involve the head.
    Definitely. When it’s obvious the helmet hit wasn’t intentional (as this one clearly wasn’t) a warning would be the better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yeah. I realize it opens up a whole can of worms, but having "grades" of targeting, only the most severe of which leads to immediate ejection, seems like an obvious path forward (rather than make the rule overly convoluted).

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Deferring is the commonly accepted standard practice. Lots of articles on the internet. Two main reasons:
    (1) Offensive coordinators like to open the second half knowing how the defense is playing you rather than opening the first half when it's more of an unknown
    (2) The possibility of two consecutive possessions -- the ideal is to score points on the final possession the first half and then get the ball right back at the start of the second half
    Made famous by Belichick and the Patriots.

O-V-E-R.

O-V-E-R.
    I want to see the first two series of the second half first.

Clemson really needed to limit them to a field goal on that possession.
    Gonna be tough to get back into this without your offensive coordinator and without yiur middle linebacker.
    ACC looking pretty lame so far tonight.

I want to see the first two series of the second half first.
    I don’t see it. 14 points behind... maybe. 21 behind and OSU receiving the kickoff... O-V-E-R.

O-V-E-R.
    Likely over. As I thought earlier, Dabo couldn’t afford to give the ball back to OSU with 3-4 minutes left. Clemson doesn’t have the defensive personnel and Bama would embarrass them anyway.