Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Lute Olson

Quote Originally Posted by dukefan1980 View Post
    In 2009 I was at a charity event in Phoenix where I found myself seated next to Lute during the event’s after party. We talked about basketball for a bit and he was very pleasant until I brought up the fact that I was a Duke fan. His tone drastically changed and you could feel his disdain for Duke. He got so heated at one point that his daughter had to tell him, “that’s enough dad.” She apologized to me and said that he was still bitter from ‘01. I can honestly say that having lived in Arizona for 6 years, they are still not over the loss in ‘01 even to this day.
    The 'Cats lost by ten points. Couldn't they have just played better?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I remember his post-game quote on TV: "I thought Jason Williams fouled out about three times."
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    “Not on my watch.” — Shane Battier

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I remember his post-game quote on TV: "I thought Jason Williams fouled out about three times."
    Which is the number of trifecta-daggers Dunleavy dropped. Lute might have thought about guarding him. Maybe.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Which is the number of trifecta-daggers Dunleavy dropped. Lute might have thought about guarding him. Maybe.
    Three of them in roughly 45 seconds and then one more a few minutes later.

Here, you can see for yourself... enjoy!!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

That was such a fun night. Looking back, I could never have guessed how many people I would subsequently meet who were also at that game.

Dunleavy's daggers set the tone for the remainder of the game. A big see ya to AZ.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    That was such a fun night. Looking back, I could never have guessed how many people I would subsequently meet who were also at that game.

Dunleavy's daggers set the tone for the remainder of the game. A big see ya to AZ.
    That is still the only Final Four game I've ever been to.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefan1980 View Post
    In 2009 I was at a charity event in Phoenix where I found myself seated next to Lute during the event’s after party. We talked about basketball for a bit and he was very pleasant until I brought up the fact that I was a Duke fan. His tone drastically changed and you could feel his disdain for Duke. He got so heated at one point that his daughter had to tell him, “that’s enough dad.” She apologized to me and said that he was still bitter from ‘01. I can honestly say that having lived in Arizona for 6 years, they are still not over the loss in ‘01 even to this day.
    I am dying to hear more about what he was ranting about. I could find no quote from K when Lute died so I am wondering if the disdain was mutual. I seem to remember K making a statement when Bobbie Olson died but it was one of those quotes that made it sound like Bobbie and Mickie were on better terms than the husbands...which is probably true with a lot of coaches.

That game was way closer than that, though. It wasn't really decided until JayW hit that big three with about 1:45 to go. Before that it was a one possession game for most of the final "quarter". Battier made so many incredible plays in that final quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    http://allsportstucson.com/2017/02/2...upposed-to-do/

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I am dying to hear more about what he was ranting about. I could find no quote from K when Lute died so I am wondering if the disdain was mutual. I seem to remember K making a statement when Bobbie Olson died but it was one of those quotes that made it sound like Bobbie and Mickie were on better terms than the husbands...which is probably true with a lot of coaches.

That game was way closer than that, though. It wasn't really decided until JayW hit that big three with about 1:45 to go. Before that it was a one possession game for most of the final "quarter". Battier made so many incredible plays in that final quarter.

http://allsportstucson.com/2017/02/2...upposed-to-do/
    It’s amazing how much nba talent was on the floor that night. Duke started 5 legit strong nba players. And Arizona had a bunch too (Jefferson, Arenas, Walton were good nba players. Wright and woods also drafted ). And mostly not freshmen like you might see today.
    Last edited by freshmanjs; 09-03-2020 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    That is still the only Final Four game I've ever been to.
    And, of course, you weren't at all worried in the semis when we trailed the Terps, 38-16, were you?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

And, of course, you weren't at all worried in the semis when we trailed the Terps, 38-16, were you?
    More like a state of shock. As K said, they actually could not have played any worse in that first half.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'