Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Really? No one else is gonna share their information? I feel sorta bared.
    Your information was so epic, so unimaginably awesome that everybody else was scared away. I mean, seriously. Your point total is something like three times mine.

Trust me, the reason nobody else is sharing their information is that your number was so towering!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Your information was so epic, so unimaginably awesome that everybody else was scared away. I mean, seriously. Your point total is something like three times mine.

Trust me, the reason nobody else is sharing their information is that your number was so towering!
    Well now I'm blushing. It's simply evidence of too much time spent.

rsvman, in any reasonable universe, you would have far more sporkage than me. Your COVID-19 posts alone have been a bigger benefit to this board than my body of work.

Really? No one else is gonna share their information? I feel sorta bared.
    I'll play. I have a measly 1,750 points, but frankly that's more than I deserve.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

And sometimes I get points docked when people give me POSITIVE comments, which is really weird. I see what looks like a brick instead of a spork (I assume it's supposed to be a brick?). So when I see the brick, I assume somebody didn't like something I posted, right? But then I read the comment, and it says something like, "I agree with you entirely. Thanks for posting this." In such cases, I assume that the person accidentally hit the brick when they were attempting to hit the spork? More specifically, I guess, hit the "I disapprove" button when they meant to hit the "I approve" button?

I dunno. Steven43, when you get all those bricks, are they usually accompanied by negative comments? (I kid, I kid.)

Does this happen to anybody else, or am I the only one?
    I’ve had a few “bricks” but I think they’ve been from relatively new/infrequent posters who only have 1 spork and sadly, their comment is worth zero points.
    I used to get 12 points from OPK (and others) when he/they were rising stars, but now that they’re super novas, those comments are worth 6 points, or, like Charlie Brown at Halloween, “I got a rock.” 😑
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A spork from devildeac is like manna from Heaven.

And he likely offers a good drink to pair it with in the ymm, beer thread.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I'll play. I have a measly 1,750 points, but frankly that's more than I deserve.
    Lemme see if I’m able to help, especially for all your football posts that may have gone unrewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    A spork from devildeac is like manna from Heaven.

And he likely offers a good drink to pair it with in the ymm, beer thread.
    Ooh, a great idea for a good discussion on Ymm, Beer.

“Caused” is the right word, and not sure there is much of a story. Something about TW having trouble signing in to the virtual pub zoom, a dumb thought that amused me, and the sheer force of repetition to a point of banality by me. And I am glad that TW took it in the light intended, since I do not know him.
    I do and can vouch for TW. He's easy like Sunday morning.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I'll play along. My number is 6,761
    Got you just by a nose. I am at 6,790. I think I may get bonus points for being a mod (or something like that) so you are probably ahead of me in terms of "earned points."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Got you just by a nose. I am at 6,790. I think I may get bonus points for being a mod (or something like that) so you are probably ahead of me in terms of "earned points."
    Wow. No way. I didn't realize I was in such rarified air.

Now I REALLY don't trust the same system.

I dunno. Steven43, when you get all those bricks, are they usually accompanied by negative comments? (I kid, I kid.)
    Ha! Honestly, I’ve never noticed this brick thing you mention. But now I’m afraid to find out. I’m guessing I could build a very large home with all of my accumulated bricks. 😊

This thread includes a lot of discussion about the quality of posts, but how about sheer quantity?

It was a slow weekend, so I spent way too much time browsing through a bunch of DBR profiles and identified many folks who have made 7500+ posts on the current board. Rather than admit that this was a complete waste of time, I though I would try to turn it into a quiz.

Rules:

Rank the top 7 DBR posters from the list below in order of the total number of posts they have made on DBR from 2007 through ~2:30 Monday afternoon.
    Do this without looking anything up. We will be on the honor system. Ideally, everyone would make their top 7 list without looking at anyone else's list.

Scoring:

You get 1 point for each poster you correctly list in the top 7.
    You get 1 bonus point for each poster you list in the proper position.

Timeline for Entry:

Any entry poster prior to 9 PM tonight will be considered. I will post the results sometime Monday night or Tuesday morning.

Prize:

Sporks, of course.

List (Rank the top 7 from this list in terms of the number of total posts. Apologies to anyone I missed):

Bob Green
    Budwom
    CameronBornAndBred
    CDu
    DevilDeac
    dukelifer
    DukieInKansas
    FerryFor50
    flyingdutchdevil
    fuse
    Indoor66
    JasonEvans
    Jimsumner
    -jk
    Kedsy
    moonpie23
    Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
    Newton_14
    OldPhiKap
    OlympicFan
    OZZIE4DUKE
    roywhite
    sagegrouse
    throatybeard
    troublemaker
    uh_no
    weezie
    YmoBeThere

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Ha! Honestly, I’ve never noticed this brick thing you mention. But now I’m afraid to find out. I’m guessing I could build a very large home with all of my accumulated bricks. 😊
    You wear the chain of bricks you forged in life. Even now it is a ponderous chain of bricks. Or something like that.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It cracks me up to this day that we all refer to those pitchfork icons as "sporks." I mean, we all get the connection between Duke Blue Devils and pitchforks, right? But someone in their infinite wisdom made the connection with the spoon/fork combo thingy all those years ago, made a joke about it, and it stuck. It freakin' stuck so much so that no one even thinks about calling them pitchforks. They're just "sporks." It's really funny as hell when you think about it.

Who was the first person to give it that name? Anyone remember the origin?
    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I vaguely remember it being devildeac. Or possibly OPK. I always get those guys confused.
    Yes, it was DevilDeac in a post on crazietalk. He noticed that we had a spork smiley.
    spork.gif
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    You wear the chain of bricks you forged in life. Even now it is a ponderous chain of bricks. Or something like that.
    A chain of bricks would be way cooler than that obnoxious thing the Miami defense passes around.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I don't know about bonus points for being a mod, but I think points given by a mod carry more reward AND destruction. I'm pretty sure about the latter, because while it only happened once, and has been a long while, getting flamed by a mod once cost me 50 points, and getting flamed by someone else cost me barely anything. I don't generally follow the points, and until today hadn't even checked in ages (5915, FWIW), I just happened to notice that one time that the dinging knocked me into the proverbial next week.

Mine are cinder blocks. Because, DBR.

I'll play along. My number is 6,761

Clearly I need to get out of the Ymm, Beer thread more often.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Mine are cinder blocks. Because, DBR.
    I had a strong feeling a cinder blocks comment was nigh.

If anyone hits 9,314 spot on they should be declared the undisputed champion (I can't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday but I can tell you how many seats are in Cameron). If prolific and talented posters such as Jason and Mtn Devil are below 7,000, it will likely be a long time until someone gets there.