Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i think you can buy them on the internets...
    Pre-pandemic. Spork production fell off in March and has not recovered - yet.

They are Pitchforks, Aren't They?

It cracks me up to this day that we all refer to those pitchfork icons as "sporks." I mean, we all get the connection between Duke Blue Devils and pitchforks, right? But someone in their infinite wisdom made the connection with the spoon/fork combo thingy all those years ago, made a joke about it, and it stuck. It freakin' stuck so much so that no one even thinks about calling them pitchforks. They're just "sporks." It's really funny as hell when you think about it.

Who was the first person to give it that name? Anyone remember the origin?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It cracks me up to this day that we all refer to those pitchfork icons as "sporks." I mean, we all get the connection between Duke Blue Devils and pitchforks, right? But someone in their infinite wisdom made the connection with the spoon/fork combo thingy all those years ago, made a joke about it, and it stuck. It freakin' stuck so much so that no one even thinks about calling them pitchforks. They're just "sporks." It's really funny as hell when you think about it.

Who was the first person to give it that name? Anyone remember the origin?
    I vaguely remember it being devildeac. Or possibly OPK. I always get those guys confused.

I’m not an old time frequent poster so I don’t imagine my opinion matters. But I’ll throw it out there for shxxs and giggles.
    I really enjoy reading the discussions on here - they are informative, funny, entertaining. But I find the software rules the most frustrating of any place I post. I want to spork posts I like and not spork the ones I don’t like. Its as simple as that. But here I can’t do that. Because a lot — but not all by any means — of the quality posts tend to come from a corps of posters, my sporks are repeatedly denied because “you must spread around...yada, yada.” But I dont want to search around for new posters to spork because, for me, its never about the name behind the post, its the post itself I’m appreciating. And I don’t want to write yet another post saying “you must spread around” to let the poster I liked what they posted. I just want to give my spork and move on. I gotten so frustrated by the continual spork blocks I‘ve mostly given up on that part. But thats just me.

tldr; I love the discussions here - just not the software.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I vaguely remember it being devildeac
    You win a spork.gif!
    devildeac, in jest, gave a spork icon to Devil in the Blue Dress in lieu of a pitchfork (2010)

So the visible sporks are capped at 11. Is there a secret ledger somewhere with the actual count? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    So the visible sporks are capped at 11. Is there a secret ledger somewhere with the actual count? Asking for a friend.
    It’s all subjective anyway. The fact that I only have two or three sporks is not definitive proof that my posts are not as consistently good as the DBR heroes with Max 11 (plus the untold multitudes of extra sporks they have on the secret ledger). 😉

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    If you go to the Settings page, there's a point total in parentheses on the "Latest Comments Received" line. Of course, I have no idea what that number means, but I assume it somehow corresponds to whatever number of sporks I have.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    If you go to the Settings page, there's a point total in parentheses on the "Latest Comments Received" line. Of course, I have no idea what that number means, but I assume it somehow corresponds to whatever number of sporks I have.
    Interesting. A question for the people behind the curtain: is that all comments, positive and negative? I suspect it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Interesting. A question for the people behind the curtain: is that all comments, positive and negative? I suspect it is.
    I'll play along. My number is 6,761
    Let's go Duke!

I vaguely remember it being devildeac. Or possibly OPK. I always get those guys confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    You win a spork.gif!
    devildeac, in jest, gave a spork icon to Devil in the Blue Dress in lieu of a pitchfork (2010)

And, all the “confusion” is actually between Tripping William and me, but caused/originated by OPK and it’ll be his story to tell. Come visit us for some interesting and thoughtful discussions on Ymm, Beer sometime. 😁
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I’m the one with the facial hair these days. (Sorry, dd! ;-) ) I don’t think I came up with the term Sporkz.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

And, all the “confusion” is actually between Tripping William and me, but caused/originated by OPK and it’ll be his story to tell. Come visit us for some interesting and thoughtful discussions on Ymm, Beer sometime. 😁
    “Caused” is the right word, and not sure there is much of a story. Something about TW having trouble signing in to the virtual pub zoom, a dumb thought that amused me, and the sheer force of repetition to a point of banality by me. And I am glad that TW took it in the light intended, since I do not know him.

Except, of course, he IS an alter ego of dd and therefore I guess I do know him.

I need more coffee, hold that thought. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'll play along. My number is 6,761
    I’ll play, too. My number has been stuck for years on 9F.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I’ll play, too. My number has been stuck for years on 9F.
    I’ve noticed that when you get to 10,000, you start going back down again like Benjamin Buttons.

Holy Mollycoddle Batman! OPK's a dude? Great, that's just great, another fantasy crushed. 2020 WILL YOU SPARE ME NO INDIGNITY!

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’ve noticed that when you get to 10,000, you start going back down again like Benjamin Buttons.
    Points from comments "expire" after some period of time. I don't know exactly what the ratio is of points to sporks, but more points = more sporks.

Additionally, the points you get from a comment vary depending on how many points/sporks the commenter has (so sporks from someone with 10 sporks of their own is worth more than sporks from a new user with only a couple sporks).

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I'm not behind the curtain, but yes your point total goes down if you get negative comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Points from comments "expire" after some period of time.
    Did not know that, I was just joking. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Holy Mollycoddle Batman! OPK's a dude? Great, that's just great, another fantasy crushed. 2020 WILL YOU SPARE ME NO INDIGNITY!
    If it's any consolation, I identify as Sofia Vergara.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

I'm not behind the curtain, but yes your point total goes down if you get negative comments.
    And sometimes I get points docked when people give me POSITIVE comments, which is really weird. I see what looks like a brick instead of a spork (I assume it's supposed to be a brick?). So when I see the brick, I assume somebody didn't like something I posted, right? But then I read the comment, and it says something like, "I agree with you entirely. Thanks for posting this." In such cases, I assume that the person accidentally hit the brick when they were attempting to hit the spork? More specifically, I guess, hit the "I disapprove" button when they meant to hit the "I approve" button?

I dunno. Steven43, when you get all those bricks, are they usually accompanied by negative comments? (I kid, I kid.)

Does this happen to anybody else, or am I the only one?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    And sometimes I get points docked when people give me POSITIVE comments, which is really weird. I see what looks like a brick instead of a spork (I assume it's supposed to be a brick?). So when I see the brick, I assume somebody didn't like something I posted, right? But then I read the comment, and it says something like, "I agree with you entirely. Thanks for posting this." In such cases, I assume that the person accidentally hit the brick when they were attempting to hit the spork? More specifically, I guess, hit the "I disapprove" button when they meant to hit the "I approve" button?

I dunno. Steven43, when you get all those bricks, are they usually accompanied by negative comments? (I kid, I kid.)

Does this happen to anybody else, or am I the only one?
    You're a brick
    house
    You're mighty mighty,
    letting it all hang out.

(Don't know the answer, have not noticed that but will look for it going forward)

Really? No one else is gonna share their information? I feel sorta bared.