Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Redo The Spork Function

"I have run out of sporks so I can't ... " This is a refrain that appears all too often on this board.

I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said something to the effect of, "You have to go through your garden and remove weeds from one end to the other, and then start again" or some such thing.

I suggest/propose that once a year, everybody should have their spork total halved, or perhaps something less linear for people with anemic totals, like myself, and spork amounts refreshed, so people can have the pleasure to reward new sporks for jobs well done.
    I don't know if that is something that is in control of our DBR board people or we are stuck with the platform, but it is a feature that needs to be overhauled.

The people that are the heavy users of the boards end up getting stuck with a full set of sporks, and none left to offer. This neuters the feature all together, and it doesn't allow the experienced board members to reward any new members of the board with richly deserved kudos when they do good things other than, "I have run out of sporks so I can't ...".

Does anyone agree?

Feel free to spork me if you do ;^)

Larry
    DevilHorse

As the owner of many a spork, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few for the greater good of it meant more excitement and competition. I like internet points.

Nah

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    As the owner of many a spork, I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few for the greater good of it meant more excitement and competition. I like internet points.
    I’d rather rest on my sporkz!

I'm not sure the sporks work exactly that way - the "I have no sporks to give" is a function of giving the same people props all the time. That said, I've no problem with re--ordering the way they get lobbed back and forth. In my case, I just blather away and sometimes wiser, usually funnier, people take pity on me.

How does the spork function work? I rarely spork people but when I do the majority of the time it seems I can't. So sure it might be the same person but I know I haven't sporked them in weeks.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I'm not sure the sporks work exactly that way - the "I have no sporks to give" is a function of giving the same people props all the time. That said, I've no problem with re--ordering the way they get lobbed back and forth. In my case, I just blather away and sometimes wiser, usually funnier, people take pity on me.
    This is how I thought it worked — that the weight of your sporkz given to each individual poster diminishes with each spork to her/him so you cannot just jack your friends up to high spork counts. I did not think there were finite Sporkz, as I still give them frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    How does the sport function work? I rarely spork people but when I do the majority of the time it seems I can't. So sure it might be the same person but I know I haven't sporked them in weeks.
    New thread: when do sporks return?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    That is also my observation. It is of the spirit of "you need to spread sporks around before you can spork Sagegrouse (or whoever) again.

Also as an occasional poster, I consider my sporks hard won over a number of years and want to hang on to them.
    Last edited by Tappan Zee Devil; 08-26-2020 at 08:25 PM. Reason: lack of prroofreading

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post

The people that are the heavy users of the boards end up getting stuck with a full set of sporks, and none left to offer.
    That's not how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    That is also my observation. It is of the spirit of "you need to spread sporks around before you can spork Sagegrouse (or whoever) again.
    That's how it works.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

A few years ago I posed the question of how spork points are determined, when you have to spread them around, etc. If I recall, the answer I got was that it is deeply embedded in the programming of DBR and was designed by someone who is no longer involved, so no one really knows.

The spread 'em around is to keep you from repeatedly sporking someone and increasing their standing. I have no idea when you hit this limit, if this ever resets, etc. One would think that if I spork the same person several times in a week, I would no longer be able to spork them, but that my ability to spork that person might be restored in a few months. I also believe I was told that sporks from people with lots of sporks will give you more points than sporks from those with fewer sporks, but don't hold me to that.

Also, though I still get a ridiculous amount of pleasure from being sporked, it isn't quite as exciting now that I am maxed out on my publicly displayed sporks. But I totally agree with the logic of capping the number of sporks one can show and would not change that.

I remain curious about how the whole thing works. In this crazy year that is 2020, is this what keeps me up at night? No. But I am curious. And this thread is a nice diversion from all sorts of real world issues.

Sporks just mean that you (I) am old...so if you could remove sporks and give me a little youthfulness I am all for reducing the sporks.

BTW get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    A few years ago I posed the question of how spork points are determined, when you have to spread them around, etc. If I recall, the answer I got was that it is deeply embedded in the programming of DBR and was designed by someone who is no longer involved, so no one really knows.

The spread 'em around is to keep you from repeatedly sporking someone and increasing their standing. I have no idea when you hit this limit, if this ever resets, etc. One would think that if I spork the same person several times in a week, I would no longer be able to spork them, but that my ability to spork that person might be restored in a few months. I also believe I was told that sporks from people with lots of sporks will give you more points than sporks from those with fewer sporks, but don't hold me to that.

Also, though I still get a ridiculous amount of pleasure from being sporked, it isn't quite as exciting now that I am maxed out on my publicly displayed sporks. But I totally agree with the logic of capping the number of sporks one can show and would not change that.

I remain curious about how the whole thing works. In this crazy year that is 2020, is this what keeps me up at night? No. But I am curious. And this thread is a nice diversion from all sorts of real world issues.
    It doesn't seem to have a time function, which I would advocate for. If I like what someone says, but I liked that poster too much five years ago... ?

It doesn't seem to have a time function, which I would advocate for. If I like what someone says, but I liked that poster too much five years ago... ?
    Presumably 11 is the maximum? I see no poster with more. So why 11? A vague Spinal Tap reference? A paen to Bob Verga?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Presumably 11 is the maximum? I see no poster with more. So why 11? A vague Spinal Tap reference? A paen to Bob Verga?
    Hurley!

I have no problem with a maximum. But I'd like to be able to dope out more freely.

Hurley!

I have no problem with a maximum. But I'd like to be able to dope out more freely.
    Polk!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

Yeah I mean maybe a month time limit cause if your friends are just that dedicated to giving you clout on a Duke forum then just go ahead.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

shrug. make good posts over a long period of time, and you get more sporks. Simple as that.

I would imagine that for most posters, there is a pretty high correllation between total posts and sporks, assuming that poster is not a frequently visiting UNC fan. Longer more in depth analysis generally get more sporks.

(aside from the fact that as others have pointed out, what the OP suggests isn't how any of this works)
    April 1

As long as no one has more Sporkz than Jimsumner, I’m okay with the system.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As long as no one has more Sporkz than Jimsumner, I’m okay with the system.
    Mike Corey says hello. And airowe.

Mike Corey says hello. And airowe.
    There are several incredible posters, and I mean no disrespect to anyone not named jimsumner. But I’ll stand by my opinion, and respect those who feel otherwise.

To the original point (sorta), I’ve toyed with the idea several times of retiring my OPK character and starting fresh as an anonymous new poster. 2020 may be the time, why not.