Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    I realize that this is not the "let's brag about our children" thread BUT my daughter was part of the team of PhD students and professors at McGill that discovered a fast radio burst coming from our galaxy this year (first time ever) and that was just named as the "runner-up" scientific discovery in 2020 (after the creation of the Covid vaccine) by Science Magazine!

https://vis.sciencemag.org/breakthrough2020/

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I realize that this is not the "let's brag about our children" thread BUT my daughter was part of the team of PhD students and professors at McGill that discovered a fast radio burst coming from our galaxy this year (first time ever) and that was just named as the "runner-up" scientific discovery in 2020 (after the creation of the Covid vaccine) by Science Magazine!

That’s eminently brag worthy. Very very cool!!!

well done! Is she able to get across the border these days (unlike moi, who misses Montreal dearly)?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    well done! Is she able to get across the border these days (unlike moi, who misses Montreal dearly)?
    Yes, fortunately, she was able to get through the border (into the US) to come home for Christmas (last week). She did take a Covid test in Montreal two days before she came home and I believe, with a student visa, she will be allowed back into Canada after the holidays.

I realize that this is not the "let's brag about our children" thread...

Oh yes it is when they do something absolutely stupendous. Well done Daughter of duke79!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Jupiter and Saturn will form a planetary conjunction w/ the best viewing for most of us tomorrow night.

Skywatchers are in for an end-of-year treat. What has become known popularly as the “Christmas Star” is an especially vibrant planetary conjunction easily visible in the evening sky over the next two weeks as the bright planets Jupiter and Saturn come together, culminating on the night of Dec. 21.
    Conjunction junction, what's your function?
    Clearly indicating the era I grew up in.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Jupiter and Saturn will form a planetary conjunction w/ the best viewing for most of us tomorrow night.

Skywatchers are in for an end-of-year treat. What has become known popularly as the “Christmas Star” is an especially vibrant planetary conjunction easily visible in the evening sky over the next two weeks as the bright planets Jupiter and Saturn come together, culminating on the night of Dec. 21.
    I’m ready and it is supposed to be clear tonight!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

^ do you get a better view by lying on your side like that, Ozzie?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Wow, nice! I've been thinking about taking a long-time interest in astronomy and keeping an eye on celestial events into an actually funded hobby (read: I might by a telescope and learn how to use it). That looks pretty substantial, what kind is it? Would you consider a good "beginner's telescope"?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Excellent. It's totally cloudy this morning, but is supposed to clear up. GF is getting off of work early, so I'm packing up our big telescope and we are taking it to a local park. It's the only way that we'll have a decent view since both will be low in the sky.

What size telescope is yours, Ozzie? It looks like a Celestron, which I've also got. (Astromaster 130). I'm leaving it home tonight, though, and just using my dobsonian. While it's a lot bigger and bulkier, it is easier to use when pressed for time. If I had the time I'd take Celestron too because it can be better for taking photos.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Bravo! Always brag about great connections and accomplishments.

I referenced this discovery in this thread in entry #58 on page 3, on 11/5/2020.
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...21#post1302821
    An unexpected Magnetar resonance here in DBR.

Larry
    DevilHorse

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Excellent. It's totally cloudy this morning, but is supposed to clear up.
    Our weatherman sucks. It has been cloudy misty rain all day, and that doesn't look to change any time soon. I'll have to settle for taking the scope out tomorrow night, sans gf. (She was lucky and was scheduled to get out of her office early tonight.)

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Our weatherman sucks. It has been cloudy misty rain all day, and that doesn't look to change any time soon. I'll have to settle for taking the scope out tomorrow night, sans gf. (She was lucky and was scheduled to get out of her office early tonight.)

Our weatherman still sucks, but we got way lucky as the clouds cleared at literally the last minute and I set us up in the parking lot of the local park. Others were out with binoculars, so we invited them over to take a look through the telescope. Fun night! I didn't get much in the way of photos since I was using my phone, but got a decent video and some lousy pics to keep as memories.
    Five moons of Jupiter were visible, which was fun for me since I usually only see 4.

IMG_20201221_174159639.jpg

IMG_20201221_174057568.jpg

IMG_20201221_174740231.jpg

IMG_20201221_172422075.jpg

Our neighbors gathered to see it together. It was low in the sky, right past dusk. Clearly visible by 6:10 as two separate entities that merged before disappearing below the treeline.

Very cool! One neighbor had am impressive telescope that amplified the event.

Our weatherman still sucks, but we got way lucky as the clouds cleared at literally the last minute and I set us up in the parking lot of the local park. Others were out with binoculars, so we invited them over to take a look through the telescope. Fun night! I didn't get much in the way of photos since I was using my phone, but got a decent video and some lousy pics to keep as memories.
    Five moons of Jupiter were visible, which was fun for me since I usually only see 4.

IMG_20201221_174159639.jpg

IMG_20201221_174057568.jpg

IMG_20201221_174740231.jpg

IMG_20201221_172422075.jpg
    Awesome we only used astrological binoculars. So we could pass them around

If you are on Facebook, I posted a halfway decent video of them transitioning across the eyepiece. Turn your speakers down, nothing but people yapping in the background.

https://www.facebook.com/chriswagner...9230844988000/

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Awesome we only used astrological binoculars. So we could pass them around
    Did you your sign?

-jk

Can’t thank you enough for sharing this - especially for those of us for whom Mother Nature had other plans. You brought an incredible moment in time to all of us!

If you are on Facebook, I posted a halfway decent video of them transitioning across the eyepiece. Turn your speakers down, nothing but people yapping in the background.

https://www.facebook.com/chriswagner...9230844988000/

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    Can’t thank you enough for sharing this - especially for those of us for whom Mother Nature had other plans. You brought an incredible moment in time to all of us!
    Most welcome! I've been perusing some live cams, those are cool too since the viewing we got in real time was so brief. (Combo of the planets being low in the sky and my girlfriend saying every 5 minutes how cold it was, ha!)

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    Co-sign. That was cool, thanks for sharing! Here in SE PA, it was a weird night fog and cloud/haze so...nada.