Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Elon Musk suggests that his latest timeline for humans on Mars is 2029. Assuming his plan also includes a return trip, maybe he can pick up those samples bring them back. I'd be surprised if there were objections.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I dunno, if I were getting a fat contract from NASA I might object. Hopefully the Musk-initiated stuff is successful enough to drive up the timeline and make it moot.

Anyone watching DART. Broadcast just started.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-co...t-dart-mission

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Anyone watching DART. Broadcast just started.

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-co...t-dart-mission
    Thanks, that was crazy cool!

Impact!

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Impact!
    The level of detail the last few frames was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I dunno, if I were getting a fat contract from NASA I might object. Hopefully the Musk-initiated stuff is successful enough to drive up the timeline and make it moot.
    SpaceX has missed stated timelines for Mars milestones a dozen or more times already. I bet they'll get there eventually (and I hope they do), but it makes little sense for NASA's wildly successful Mars program to wait around for them on any particular date. Pressing forward with sample return in 2033 makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thanks, that was crazy cool!
    It was. Amazing what we can do in space.

Video of impact (from quite some distance):

https://twitter.com/fallingstarifa/s...J7qmifl0nAxrSQ

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Dart.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If this doesn’t work, the next test is a giant space mattress to catch and stop it.

I really enjoyed the whole presentation.

Some random thoughts as I watched this:

I was curious as to how close to hitting the center (of gravity) DART actually achieved. I was slightly confused by the shape because part of the asteroid could have been shadowed. An off-center hit will lessen orbit changing energy (with more energy into the rotation of the object (Torque of the rotation)).

My intuition suggests that the affect of DART will be to change the characteristics of the orbit, making it more elliptical. Orbits are funny things; they don't have to be stable. If they are stable they have to conform to physical laws. If the momentum of Dimorphous was reduced, then a stable orbit could be faster (less energy would allow for a stable orbit closer to Didymos, and a faster period; fewer hours for an orbit).

Yes, that is confirmed in this article that was the objective (a 73 second reduction in orbital period):
    https://www.space.com/dart-asteroid-...t-happens-next
    Using one of Kepler's laws, we know that the radius (semi-major axis) must also be reduced. That means Dimorphus will be closer to Didymos on the far side of its revolution.

This article was also of interest; suggesting a Plume was seen after the impact:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/science/spac...sion-rcna49621

Larry
    DevilHorse

DART Odds and Ends

Video of impact (from quite some distance):

https://twitter.com/fallingstarifa/s...J7qmifl0nAxrSQ
    Odds and Ends:

Some science and observation from what was seen in the different photos/videos to surface so far:
    https://twitter.com/DrPhiltill/statu...05023888334858

My latest side note, scientists are hoping to observe a shorter period of Dimorphos around Didymos because of the impact. Additionally, since we observed that Dimorphos lost mass (via the ejecta from the impact); a decrease in mass will also cause a reduction in the period of the orbit. In other words, the impact impulse (slowing down Dimorphos) and the loss of mass (not quantified) will both have the effect of a decreased time for orbit.

This picture I found interesting for perspective. The final picture taken which was said to be about 100 yards across:
    dart4MilesAbove2.jpg
    DART was 4 miles above Dimorphos when the last picture was taken.
    There is some disagreement on the actual size; here is another perspective with a form of a blue person on it:
    dart4MilesAbove3.jpg

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DevilHorse; 09-28-2022 at 05:25 PM.

Odds and Ends:

Some science and observation from what was seen in the different photos/videos to surface so far:
    https://twitter.com/DrPhiltill/statu...05023888334858

My latest side note, scientists are hoping to observe a shorter period of Dimorphos around Didymos because of the impact. Additionally, since we observed that Dimorphos lost mass (via the ejecta from the impact); a decrease in mass will also cause a reduction in the period of the orbit. In other words, the impact impulse (slowing down Dimorphos) and the loss of mass (not quantified) will both have the effect of a decreased time for orbit.

This picture I found interesting for perspective. The final picture taken which was said to be about 100 yards across:
    dart4MilesAbove2.jpg
    There is some disagreement on the actual size; here is another perspective with a form of a blue person on it:
    dart4MilesAbove3.jpg

Larry
    DevilHorse
    You show him as blue, but we all know it was a Red Shirt.

Odds and Ends:

dart4MilesAbove3.jpg

Larry
    DevilHorse
    There was a revision of scales. Apparently the picture was a factor of 3 closer:
    dart4MilesAbove4.jpg
    Perhaps something official will come out from NASA; not that they are concentrating on this part.

Larry
    DevilHorse

You show him as blue, but we all know it was a Red Shirt.
    Looks more like a "walk on" (the asteroid).

Larry
    DevilHorse

New images of Europa (Jupiter's icy moon with a large subsurface ocean of liquid water) in today from NASA's Juno mission:

Europa.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    New images of Europa (Jupiter's icy moon with a large subsurface ocean of liquid water) in today from NASA's Juno mission:

Europa.jpg
    "All these worlds are yours, except Europa" - 2010

Larry
    DevilHorse

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    "All these worlds are yours, except Europa" - 2010

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Yeah, well all your base are belong to us!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."