Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    We have a new record for oldest person in space, youngest person in space and richest person in space!

Congrats to the crew of the first manned launch for Blue Origin's New Shepard, and more importantly, it's first manned landing
    I was surprised at the small rocket size but guess it makes sense.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I was surprised at the small rocket size but guess it makes sense.
    The first Mercury rockets that did basically the same up and down thing were also pretty tiny. We've come a long way to get back where we started!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    We have a new record for oldest person in space, youngest person in space and richest person in space!

Congrats to the crew of the first manned launch for Blue Origin's New Shepard, and more importantly, it's first manned landing
    Did I read it correctly that they were "in the air" for only 14 minutes? Heck, I spend more time in the check-out line at the grocery store.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Did I read it correctly that they were "in the air" for only 14 minutes? Heck, I spend more time in the check-out line at the grocery store.
    I bet your checkout line doesn't move at almost 3,000 mph and push your guts to the back of your shopping cart.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I bet your checkout line doesn't move at almost 3,000 mph and push your guts to the back of your shopping cart.
    No, but when the check-out person tells me how much I owe, I do sometimes feel a LITTLE sick to my stomach.

On the same day that Bezos shot himself to space in his tiny rocket, Elon Musk test fired one of the biggest. I'm guessing that's not a coincidence.

"Have fun sending up a tourist or three on a quick trip up and down, while we orbit the Earth and fly to Mars."

Someone knows where the real money is.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/watch-spa...122745362.html

Well this is cool. Can you imagine how the discoverer must have felt?

With constant news of parts of our solar system currently being mapped, tracked, and even visited, it’d be understandable to think it’s impossible to discover something like a whole new moon. Luckily, our stellar neighborhood is massive beyond imagination. So, it is indeed possible! Amateur astronomer, Kai Ly, proved that’s the case with their recent discovery of a new moon orbiting Jupiter.
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/amat...185054319.html

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I listened to a Grateful Dead song on the way to work longer.

It's truly an uncanny phenomenon.

CraterQuestion.jpg

It's truly an uncanny phenomenon.

CraterQuestion.jpg
    You can't handle the HOLE truth.

Larry
    DevilHorse

In celestial news you needed, Saturn has entered the chat! The most beautiful planet in the sky will light up the night on Aug. 2, and it'll be a sight to behold. On this day, the ringed planet will be in alignment with Earth and the sun in a celestial event known as the moment Saturn is in "opposition." The second-largest planet will be at its closest distance to Earth with its face fully illuminated by the sun, meaning it'll be brighter than it has been all year and visible throughout the night.
    Will be crossing fingers for clear skies.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/look...230617768.html

Will be crossing fingers for clear skies.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/look...230617768.html
    Sounds lovely! Get us some pics, please.

Surely it maintains a pretty good angle for a few days before and after, though.

-jk

Some insight into Mars from the InSight rover using Marsquakes.
    If you have a geology background, you might find this of great interest.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/marsqua...le_email_share

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Some insight into Mars from the InSight rover using Marsquakes.
    If you have a geology background, you might find this of great interest.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/marsqua...le_email_share

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Interesting article. As usual more facts lead to more speculation.

My favorite -
    Rob Petrie : What is the main purpose in going to the Earth's center?
    Laura Petrie : To find out whether it's chewy or chocolate creme.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

My favorite -
    For those Rocky Road Marshakes?

Larry
    DevilHorse

BepiColumbo

Today, the BepiColumbo satellite made its second pass by Venus on its way to a final 2025 rendesvous with Mercury. It is a combo satellite that uses many gravity assist stops of Earth and the inner planets to eventually slow down and meet with Mercury. This mission was brought to you by the European and Japanese space agencies.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BepiColombo
    A lot of good information at the above link.

The probe is named after Giuseppe "Bepi" Colombo who first proposed 'gravity assist' for sending probes/satellites into outer space. It was first used by the 1974 Mariner mission. Bepi died in 1984.

Let's all agree to be around in 2025 to check out the results that come in. I'm game.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

My favorite -
    Visit Pellucidar?

Visit Pellucidar?
    No Edgar Rice Burroughs fans here, huh?

No Edgar Rice Burroughs fans here, huh?
    Sorry, but I had to look it up. My investments were in comic books; they aged better.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Apparently there is a great deal of inflation in trips to space:
    https://twitter.com/tobyliiiiiiiiii/...771972/photo/1

Larry
    DevilHorse