Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Minimalist/"barefoot" shoes, anyone?

So, I got intrigued by some YouTube commercials into trying a pair of minimalist shoes. The concept behind them is that humans were meant to walk essentially barefoot, with no "toe drop" and no arch support, and receiving input from the ground through nerves on the bottom of the foot. Modern shoes are overly cushioned, generally have a raised heel, and are not flexible, which interferes with all of the things your foot was meant to do. They say that arch support is only necessary because the shoes are making people's feet week, and taking away the intended function of the foot. The belief is that shoes should only protect the foot from injury, but otherwise let the foot do what feet were designed to do.

So, anyway, I decided to give these a try, and bought a pair of casual shoes from a company called Xeroshoes. They are completely flat, have a 5 mm insert, and a flexible sole (the shoe can be rolled up into a ball). There is no cushioning, and no arch support. They are very light, as you can imagine.

So, I wore them around the house for a few days in an attempt to get the hang of it, and then I wore them to work yesterday and walked on them all day. It was interesting. I found that I had to alter the way I walk. With regular shoes, I take very long strides and land pretty hard on the heel. With these shoes, that's really a no-go. FWIW, the makers of the shoes say that walking in a way that makes these shoes more comfortable is a more natural way to walk and is better for your ankles, knees, and hips. I don't really know, one way or the other, but you do have to walk a bit differently.

After a full day, I had some soreness in the feet and in the calves. They say this is good, because it means you are actually using muscles that you haven't used in a long time.

I dunno. Intellectually, I think what they are saying makes some sense. They have some data that show that people who walk barefoot or wear minimalist shoes have stronger feet and perhaps have fewer foot problems over time. On the other hand it was kind of weird feeling like I had to learn how to walk all over again (although I do accept that some people develop bad habits in movement and have to retrain, like Zion with the Pelicans).

What do you think? Have you seen ads for this type of shoe? Do you think it makes sense? Have you ever tried this type of shoe? If so, did you like it? Anybody converted over completely? Just interested in any thoughts anybody might have....I feel like I'm out here way away from the norm and I want to know that I'm not the only person in the world who is trying out these shoes...
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Take Care of Your Back

My first reaction - and I hadn't heard of these - was to say I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't end up with a weird back problem.

While it's true that we're naturally barefooted, it's also true that we weren't built to walk upright. We just didn't get a spine engineered for that kind of locomotion. It sounds like you've already experienced a change in muscle usage in your legs. So I wouldn't be surprised if your back doesn't notice that before too long.

But who knows? Maybe the changes induced by the shoes will be beneficial to your back. I'll let you go first though

I think we're OK walking upright - millions of years of evolution for it - but only if you have decent posture. I suspect the sore muscles are from different use (sort of like a fit runner going biking for the first time in a while) and a little extra stretching from flat shoes. There are tons of videos of modern shoes v. medieval or earlier shoes/barefoot and walking/gait.

I think the problem is that we're not well engineered to walk barefoot - or minimally shod - for long times on very hard surfaces. I spend a lot of time barefoot at home, but the tile floors do get tiring.

-jk

My $.02

I've been using barefoot shoes for years solely (muahahhahahaha!!) for exercise. Before the covid, I would run between 2-3 miles 3 or 4 times a week on a treadmill. I've never experienced any soreness except for the 2 days after I first got them. I about fell out of bed as my calves said "not today, my friend". But after the soreness subsided, I have had great luck with barefoot shoes. I haven't had back or knee issues at all. They feel a little weird at first but you'll get used to them. I feel that they help strengthen my calves more than regular shoes.
    My sister-in-law used to wear them for running as well and had good luck with them for a couple of years. Unfortunately, she developed shin splints and found that running on them made them *much* worse, so she quit. We're not sure if the shoes contributed to the splints or if there were other causes. Overall for me, I will definitely get another pair when I start exercising again.

First thing that comes to mind is to avoid the naturalistic fallacy. Just because most of human evolution occurred sans shoes, doesn't mean that it was good for us.

What's more, I bet some kind of shoe - from sandals on up - have been part of human culture for a couple thousand years or more. We continue to evolve, and our physiology may have lost a bit of its connection to our shoeless beginnings. And chances are your individual body grew and developed with shoes of some sort. I'm not sure changing course at this stage in your life, or this stage in human evolution, would be beneficial to your feet, your gait, etc etc.

But, giving it a try is far from the greatest risk you could take. This coming from an ex-motorcyclist.
    And you may like it! I guess a lot of us working from home could simply try going shoeless around the house most of our days.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I think we're OK walking upright - millions of years of evolution for it - but only if you have decent posture. I suspect the sore muscles are from different use (sort of like a fit runner going biking for the first time in a while) and a little extra stretching from flat shoes. There are tons of videos of modern shoes v. medieval or earlier shoes/barefoot and walking/gait.

I think the problem is that we're not well engineered to walk barefoot - or minimally shod - for long times on very hard surfaces. I spend a lot of time barefoot at home, but the tile floors do get tiring.

-jk
    I can't quite agree with this one. There was a fascinating article in "Scientific American" several years ago in which engineers and anatomists analyzed the structure and arrangement of our spine and back muscles. They pointed out that our backs would really be pretty happy to have us back on all fours rather than walking around upright. But you're right, maintaining proper posture is important. But it simply doesn't take too much for discs, nerves, muscles, etc. to get overstressed or out of position due to physical arrangement and connections that we inherited.

I had a pair of Vibram five fingers when that was a new concept, and also have worn New Balance minimalist shoes.

I definitely noted some of the calf soreness others have mentioned.

While I do try to pay at least a little attention to the drop of the sneakers I buy, I’ve not bought uncushioned or minimalist shoes for some time.

You may want to check out brands like Hoka One One.
    There are some brands of shoes that are zero drop and also cushioned.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    So, I got intrigued by some YouTube commercials into trying a pair of minimalist shoes. The concept behind them is that humans were meant to walk essentially barefoot, with no "toe drop" and no arch support, and receiving input from the ground through nerves on the bottom of the foot. Modern shoes are overly cushioned, generally have a raised heel, and are not flexible, which interferes with all of the things your foot was meant to do. They say that arch support is only necessary because the shoes are making people's feet week, and taking away the intended function of the foot. The belief is that shoes should only protect the foot from injury, but otherwise let the foot do what feet were designed to do.

So, anyway, I decided to give these a try, and bought a pair of casual shoes from a company called Xeroshoes. They are completely flat, have a 5 mm insert, and a flexible sole (the shoe can be rolled up into a ball). There is no cushioning, and no arch support. They are very light, as you can imagine.

So, I wore them around the house for a few days in an attempt to get the hang of it, and then I wore them to work yesterday and walked on them all day. It was interesting. I found that I had to alter the way I walk. With regular shoes, I take very long strides and land pretty hard on the heel. With these shoes, that's really a no-go. FWIW, the makers of the shoes say that walking in a way that makes these shoes more comfortable is a more natural way to walk and is better for your ankles, knees, and hips. I don't really know, one way or the other, but you do have to walk a bit differently.

After a full day, I had some soreness in the feet and in the calves. They say this is good, because it means you are actually using muscles that you haven't used in a long time.

I dunno. Intellectually, I think what they are saying makes some sense. They have some data that show that people who walk barefoot or wear minimalist shoes have stronger feet and perhaps have fewer foot problems over time. On the other hand it was kind of weird feeling like I had to learn how to walk all over again (although I do accept that some people develop bad habits in movement and have to retrain, like Zion with the Pelicans).

What do you think? Have you seen ads for this type of shoe? Do you think it makes sense? Have you ever tried this type of shoe? If so, did you like it? Anybody converted over completely? Just interested in any thoughts anybody might have...I feel like I'm out here way away from the norm and I want to know that I'm not the only person in the world who is trying out these shoes...

I have been wearing Xeroshoes for many years, both for running and for walking around and going to work. I've been using zero drop shoes even longer, since before Xeroshoes came into existence. I've run a marathon in the Vibram five fingers and have had multiple pairs of Altra zero-drop shoes. My knees have never been happier, and my running form has changed, but the shoes all seem to wear out faster in the heel area so I guess I'm still somewhat of a heel-striker (maybe less so than before).

It did take a little while to adjust to the zero-drop shoes, although perhaps not so long for me because I have always spent a lot of time barefoot around the house and yard.

Except for work, I’ve been wearing Birkenstocks constantly for my entire adult life. The lack of enclosed shoe protection has only been a serious problem a few times over many decades.

As someone in the outdoor gear industry, it's been interesting to watch the rise/fall of these trends. I know people who swear by the minimalist shoes, and also those who love the Hoka One One and Altra "maximalist" shoes. I never try to talk anyone into or out of them myself, but both attract loyal followers.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    First thing that comes to mind is to avoid the naturalistic fallacy. Just because most of human evolution occurred sans shoes, doesn't mean that it was good for us.

What's more, I bet some kind of shoe - from sandals on up - have been part of human culture for a couple thousand years or more. We continue to evolve, and our physiology may have lost a bit of its connection to our shoeless beginnings. And chances are your individual body grew and developed with shoes of some sort. I'm not sure changing course at this stage in your life, or this stage in human evolution, would be beneficial to your feet, your gait, etc etc.

But, giving it a try is far from the greatest risk you could take. This coming from an ex-motorcyclist.
    And you may like it! I guess a lot of us working from home could simply try going shoeless around the house most of our days.
    There are people that wear shoes in their house? Who knew?

I think moving to Japan at age 9 set my pattern for life - enter the house and shoes come off. I never did follow through with puttin on slippers, however. My sisters actually have inside shoes/sandals to wear around the house. I'm not sure I'll totally follow that but may give it a try.

Allbirds!

I don't think they're considered minimalist, but I recently bought a pair of Allbirds and they are probably the most comfortable sneaker I've ever worn.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I loved my Vibram Five Fingers: light, easy to travel with. Then I developed plantar fasciitis. Do *not* ever heel-strike walk in the shoes you are describing. Ever. I personally would throw them away immediately, but if you, as you note, completely change the way you walk, they can possibly be ok. FYI that calf tightness, over time, is definitely linked to developing plantar fasciitis.

I've barely worn shoes in 6 months.
    Barefoot is truly my preference, to the extent that my dog goes and gets in her crate if I put shoes on, assuming that I'm about to leave the house.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I loved my Vibram Five Fingers: light, easy to travel with. Then I developed plantar fasciitis. Do *not* ever heel-strike walk in the shoes you are describing. Ever. I personally would throw them away immediately, but if you, as you note, completely change the way you walk, they can possibly be ok. FYI that calf tightness, over time, is definitely linked to developing plantar fasciitis.
    I think that fits into my idea that we're "not well engineered to walk barefoot - or minimally shod - for long times on very hard surfaces". Running, too. Way too many very hard surfaces in our modern world.

-jk

Interestingly, one of the selling points of the shoes is that they protect against plantar fasciitis. I saw something from a podiatrist about this, as well; he said he usually asks people to go barefoot or more to minimalist shoes if they have plantar fasciitis.

So, two totally different opinions. Interesting.

The idea is supposedly that we have developed a heel-striking gait because of the way shoes have been designed. One physical therapist was saying that if you fix the gait problems you fix a lot of downstream problems, as well, and that the minimalist shoes help people learn how to walk properly. We are apparently supposed to be engaging the glutes and pushing off with the back foot, not applying full weight to the foot until it is planted; what most people do, rather, is just swing the front foot, heel-strike, and apply weight well before the foot is planted.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Same here, except I ditched the five fingers pretty quickly and ran barefoot for a while. I loved it and it was great for my knees (due to working out some issues in my ankle and foot). But then came the plantar fasciitis — and that was a problem to kick.

Interestingly, one of the selling points of the shoes is that they protect against plantar fasciitis. I saw something from a podiatrist about this, as well; he said he usually asks people to go barefoot or more to minimalist shoes if they have plantar fasciitis.

The idea is supposedly that we have developed a heel-striking gait because of the way shoes have been designed. One physical therapist was saying that if you fix the gait problems you fix a lot of downstream problems, as well, and that the minimalist shoes help people learn how to walk properly. We are apparently supposed to be engaging the glutes and pushing off with the back foot, not applying full weight to the foot until it is planted; what most people do, rather, is just swing the front foot, heel-strike, and apply weight well before the foot is planted.
    My understanding (and personal experience) is that going barefoot is the worst thing I can do for my plantar fasciitis.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't think they're considered minimalist, but I recently bought a pair of Allbirds and they are probably the most comfortable sneaker I've ever worn.
    I bought a pair of Allbirds not so long ago.
    Havent worn them much since March.

They are decently comfortable, I’ve not tried to wash them yet. Wool definitely makes them breathable, and I find they are warm when its cold.

Their soles don’t provide much in the way of traction, and the laces are cartoonishly thick.
    I think

At one level I get the appeal; for ballpark the same cost (maybe on sale) I enjoy my Cole Haan fabric brogue Zero Grand much more.

I highly recommend the book "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougall. The main story is about the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico's Copper Canyon. They are long distance runners who largely run barefoot.

The author makes very interesting arguments that running and walking barefoot is good for what ails you including plantar fasciitis.

This is a very entertaining book.