Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Just saw someone walking down the street with a shirt that said "2020 sucks" - pretty much sums it up. I told him I liked his shirt.

Laura looks to be hitting right on the TX-LA border. Doesn't appear like there's a lot of population right on the coast (as is the case in most of Florida), the cities are inland a bit, but there is still over half a million people who are going to be pummeled.

The right front quadrant is the worst for winds and storm surge (counter-clockwise spin), so the entire coast of Louisiana is going to be hit very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Very true .i absolutely feel for those in its path.hugo was a lesson in life i do not wish anyone else to learn.

2021 is such a disaster of a year .lost a young athlete 16 yrs old yesterday .found unresponsive at his home.
    Lost a coach to cancer after a long battle.lost a friend of mine to the same battle.not a very good week .
    Im superstitious about bringing home a suit from a funeral .i wont i drop them at goodwill on tbe way home.so i have to go buy two more suits.
    Have you thought about renting?

I am so sorry for your losses. As we have all said many times - CANCER SUCKS! May you have many wonderful memories to share with their families.

Thankful here in Houston that the track is staying to the east. Calling for some rain and sustained 15-25 mph winds with gusts into the 30s.

Really feeling for those near the TX/LA border that have endured multiple hits in the last decade.

From Space City Weather

Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange area
    Impacts peak between Midnight and 5 AM with sustained winds of 75 to 90 mph and gusts of 95 to 110 mph. Surge of 10 to 15 feet into Sabine Lake.

Lake Charles area
    Impacts peak between midnight and 6 AM with sustained winds of 75 to 100 mph and gusts of 95 to 120 mph. Storm surge of 15 to 20 feet into Calcasieu Lake.

4:00 CDT update, winds have increased another 5 mph in the last 3 hours to 145. Cat 5 is 157, so this is a strong cat 4 (and really, what's a few mph? This one is a b****).

For anyone interested, this is my go-to site, NOAA's National Hurricane Center. Just the facts. Click on the hurricane symbol for details on wind, surge, rainfall etc. on separate maps.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

This is my 31st year on the coast of Florida, and I've been blessed to never take a direct hit off the ocean. So I've seen 70-80 mph winds, and they're no fun. Can't really imagine 140+. Thoughts and prayers.

7:00 CDT, now up to 150 mph sustained winds.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Laura is up to 150mph. This is going to be vicious.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I've never heard the term "unsurvivable" in relation to a storm before. Quite convincing.

This is pretty scary stuff. These dang hurricanes just keep getting worse. This one went from a cat 1 to a cat 4 in like what, 24 hours? Ridiculous.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    This is pretty scary stuff. These dang hurricanes just keep getting worse. This one went from a cat 1 to a cat 4 in like what, 24 hours? Ridiculous.
    They each can be so unique. Marco went from a 1 to squat in about the same time period, without ever touching land.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I've never heard the term "unsurvivable" in relation to a storm before. Quite convincing.
    Yes, when they use the word UNSURVIVABLE and tell folks who are opting to stay to write down their SSNs and put them in their pockets, it is time to get the hell out of Dodge!

This Year

I'm in favor of cancelling daylight savings this fall so we don't have to spend an extra hour in 2020. Wuddyathink?

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    I'm in favor of cancelling daylight savings this fall so we don't have to spend an extra hour in 2020. Wuddyathink?
    We've already had to endure a whole extra day!
    (leap year)
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    TIL Cameron, Louisiana had a population around 2000 at the 2000 census; after Rita and Ike it had dropped below 500 at the next census.

This may landfall stronger than Rita.
    Narrator: it did

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Yes, when they use the word UNSURVIVABLE and tell folks who are opting to stay to write down their SSNs and put them in their pockets, it is time to get the hell out of Dodge!
    I turned on some weather channel this morning and one anchor/reporter said something to the effect of, "If you stay, you're going to be part of the ocean."

That got my attention! I started thinking of the end of The Perfect Storm.

I tuned in very early this morning and the announcers seemed very anxious to hype the damage they "were sure to see" at first light. But I kept thinking how much worse it could have been. The worst of it hit one of the least populous areas along the coast, and the storm moved very quickly, so the worst wind stayed in any one area only a relatively short time, there wasn't a huge rain accumulation, and because it moved fully over land very quickly the winds are dying down rapidly and as of now it is no longer even an official hurricane.

Not to minimize the damage that happened, but this could have been a whole lot worse, it seems to me.

Without doubt. When they slow and churn whilst still over water, that's when things get really bad.

Weather reporters often get very animated and excited about bad weather. It's a ratings bonanza, the nature version of "if it bleeds, it leads."

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Weather reporters often get very animated and excited about bad weather. It's a ratings bonanza, the nature version of "if it bleeds, it leads."
    I think I saw Mike Seidel fly by a little while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I think I saw Mike Seidel fly by a little while ago.
    Cantore over Seidel, esp. if it's thundersnow.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Without doubt. When they slow and churn whilst still over water, that's when things get really bad.

If only I had a $1 for every time I've heard about the worst storm ever, worst storm in 100 years, 100 year flood, etc...