Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 163
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Yep

    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    C'mon, there's a whole 'nother thread where you can do your COVID politicking.

    Meanwhile, the center track of both hurricanes are now over New Orleans. One scheduled for Tuesday, one for Wednesday. This is unprecedented by many orders of magnitude.
    2E361B89-9F52-4446-A4D4-582FBB209CD8.jpg

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Someone call the Space Force. Time for them to earn their keep.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Overnight, Marco went from a hurricane to a minimal tropical storm, down to 50mph. Good news for the Gulf.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Overnight, Marco went from a hurricane to a minimal tropical storm, down to 50mph. Good news for the Gulf.
    Perhaps it's the hurricane version of a cheap horror movie surprise ending. You exhale in relief. Then, BOOM, Laura!!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Overnight, Marco went from a hurricane to a minimal tropical storm, down to 50mph. Good news for the Gulf.
    Its name has also been changed from Marco to Little Marco.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Perhaps it's the hurricane version of a cheap horror movie surprise ending. You exhale in relief. Then, BOOM, Laura!!
    Unfortunately, it looks like this might happen for the western Louisiana/Texas border. Laura is expected to strengthen rapidly over the gulf. These folks could be looking at wind gusts of 130+mph and major flooding.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Laura is looking like we may have another Rita (2005).

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Laura is looking like we may have another Rita (2005).
    It's a much smaller storm, though, so the storm surge shouldn't be as bad.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    It's a much smaller storm, though, so the storm surge shouldn't be as bad.
    Rita reached cat 5, but was a cat 3 when it hit. Laura is predicted to be a cat 3 upon landfall, so it could be roughly the same.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Rita reached cat 5, but was a cat 3 when it hit. Laura is predicted to be a cat 3 upon landfall, so it could be roughly the same.
    Size and intensity are not the same. Katrina was a cat 3 for most of the time, but it was massive. Flooding damage is more about size than wind strength.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Size and intensity are not the same. Katrina was a cat 3 for most of the time, but it was massive. Flooding damage is more about size than wind strength.
    Katrina was actually a 5 just before landing as a 3, but you are correct on the size. It was huge.

    By the afternoon of August 28, the storm was large enough that some areas of the Gulf Coast were already experiencing tropical storm-force winds. The center of Katrina was about 180 statute miles (290 km) from the mouth of the Mississippi River, but tropical storm-force winds extended 230 miles (370 km) from the center of the storm, and hurricane-force winds extended about 105 miles (170 km) away.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor...ricane_Katrina
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Rita reached cat 5, but was a cat 3 when it hit. Laura is predicted to be a cat 3 upon landfall, so it could be roughly the same.
    I meant the size of the wind field, the area covered by the winds, not the speed of the winds. More here: https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2...jor-hurricane/

    A large storm with winds blowing over a wide area of ocean will typically generate a higher storm surge that covers a larger area than a smaller hurricane. The 11 a.m. EDT Tuesday NHC forecast called for Laura’s tropical storm-force winds to span a diameter of 190 nautical miles (nm) at landfall. For comparison, Hurricane Rita in 2005 – a low-end category 3 hurricane with 115 mph winds which drove a 10 – 15-foot storm surge to the southwest Louisiana coast – had tropical storm-force winds that spanned a diameter of 300 nm. Hurricane Ike in 2008 – a high-end category 2 hurricane with 110 mph winds that drove a storm surge of 15 – 20 feet to Texas’ Bolivar Peninsula – had a tropical storm-force wind field 390 nm across (thanks go to weather.com’s Jon Erdman for this information).

    Don't get me wrong: Laura is still a major hurricane, but not likely to be as damaging as Ike or Rita.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I meant the size of the wind field, the area covered by the winds, not the speed of the winds. More here: https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2...jor-hurricane/

    A large storm with winds blowing over a wide area of ocean will typically generate a higher storm surge that covers a larger area than a smaller hurricane. The 11 a.m. EDT Tuesday NHC forecast called for Laura’s tropical storm-force winds to span a diameter of 190 nautical miles (nm) at landfall. For comparison, Hurricane Rita in 2005 – a low-end category 3 hurricane with 115 mph winds which drove a 10 – 15-foot storm surge to the southwest Louisiana coast – had tropical storm-force winds that spanned a diameter of 300 nm. Hurricane Ike in 2008 – a high-end category 2 hurricane with 110 mph winds that drove a storm surge of 15 – 20 feet to Texas’ Bolivar Peninsula – had a tropical storm-force wind field 390 nm across (thanks go to weather.com’s Jon Erdman for this information).

    Don't get me wrong: Laura is still a major hurricane, but not likely to be as damaging as Ike or Rita.
    Gotcha. I just googled an image of Rita, you're right.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    People on the Texas/Louisiana border are in for a long night tonight.
    Winds up to 115mph and gaining strength, landfall expected some time around 1am Thursday.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Laura

    Predicted to be a Category 4 storm at landfall, possible storm surge of 10-15 feet. Wow. https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...xas-louisiana/

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Predicted to be a Category 4 storm at landfall, possible storm surge of 10-15 feet. Wow. https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...xas-louisiana/
    This is a nightmare... having lived through numerous hurricanes, a cat 4 with major surge is a catastrophe for those people. And during the pandemic adds another dimension. Overcrowded shelters for weeks with Covid still spreading? Unemployment already high, now looking at businesses with flooding and structural damage, and depleted state funds for recovery. God help them.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    This is a nightmare... having lived through numerous hurricanes, a cat 4 with major surge is a catastrophe for those people. And during the pandemic adds another dimension. Overcrowded shelters for weeks with Covid still spreading? Unemployment already high, now looking at businesses with flooding and structural damage, and depleted state funds for recovery. God help them.
    I was at ground zero for Hurricane Hugo, Charleston SC in 1989. When I go visit my sister who still lives only a few miles from our childhood home...I still notice the difference 30 years later.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    TIL Cameron, Louisiana had a population around 2000 at the 2000 census; after Rita and Ike it had dropped below 500 at the next census.

    This may landfall stronger than Rita.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Summerville ,S.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I was at ground zero for Hurricane Hugo, Charleston SC in 1989. When I go visit my sister who still lives only a few miles from our childhood home...I still notice the difference 30 years later.
    Very true .i absolutely feel for those in its path.hugo was a lesson in life i do not wish anyone else to learn.

    2021 is such a disaster of a year .lost a young athlete 16 yrs old yesterday .found unresponsive at his home.
    Lost a coach to cancer after a long battle.lost a friend of mine to the same battle.not a very good week .
    Im superstitious about bringing home a suit from a funeral .i wont i drop them at goodwill on tbe way home.so i have to go buy two more suits.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Laura is now a category 4 monster. Yikes!!!

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/weath...day/index.html

    Hurricane Laura has reached extremely dangerous Category 4 strength ahead of anticipated landfall near the Louisiana-Texas state line, and is expected to hit parts of the coast with devastating winds and "unsurvivable storm surge," the National Hurricane Center says.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. 2021 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread
    By DavidBenAkiva in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 785
    Last Post: Today, 02:49 PM
  2. DWBB 2020-21 Season
    By DU82 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Yesterday, 08:05 PM
  3. 2021 Duke Football Recruiting
    By chrishoke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 10-17-2020, 12:43 PM
  4. 2020-2021 Roster
    By Jaks19 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-12-2020, 08:04 AM
  5. Dear Class of 2021,
    By duke_blue2010 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-27-2018, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •