Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Didn't Nostradamus predict all this?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Unprecedented. If tracks hold, 2 hurricanes will hit the U.S. within a few hours of each other, within a few hundred miles of each other. And they are also the earliest named storms ever, so I hope FEMA has lots of money stockpiled.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...ropical-storms

2020 cannot end soon enough for me.
    Attorney for The Scorpions preparing a cease-and-desist order for someone's political campaign in 3, 2, 1 ...

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Attorney for The Scorpions preparing a cease-and-desist order for someone's political campaign in 3, 2, 1 ...
    30+ year old Scorpions reference. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Oh, FFS . . . . . .
    I hope we don’t get there but yes, winner.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Agreed. Maybe skip to 2022, but I don’t know if that will be better.
    August, 2020 is already massively better than April, 2020. Why wouldn’t things continue to improve? By 2022??

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    August, 2020 is already massively better than April, 2020. Why wouldn’t things continue to improve? By 2022??
    Massively? w/r/t deaths, OK, but daily new cases are massively worse, and we may be at the start of them getting a lot worse with schools.

Plus, as noted many times, death isn't the only bad outcome of covid-19.

By 2022, sure, I'm optimistic, but I don't think it's accurate to paint a picture of a situation that is improving across all relevant metrics.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Massively? w/r/t deaths, OK, but daily new cases are massively worse, and we may be at the start of them getting a lot worse with schools.

Plus, as noted many times, death isn't the only bad outcome of covid-19.

By 2022, sure, I'm optimistic, but I don't think it's accurate to paint a picture of a situation that is improving across all relevant metrics.
    No, I'm not talking about disease metrics. I'm talking about quality of life.

Where I live, we've gone from:

April: Most businesses closed, all restaurants closed, all schools closed, all colleges closed, people not even going to the grocery store / struggling to get a slot on instacart, people putting off all minor healthcare, all salons closed, and essentially no social interaction - all with a huge number of cases.

August: Nearly all businesses open, nearly all restaurants open for outdoor seating and takeout/delivery, most schools open in person, many colleges open in person, back to normal (except with masks) at stores, back to normal with doctors, salons opened, and lots of social interaction - all with a tiny fraction of the number of cases we had in April.

To me, yes, that's massively better. Yes, there are regions that haven't completed that transition yet, but it's not far off. Certainly not 2022.

On your comment about new cases being massively worse today, that's almost certainly not true. During the NY/NJ peak in April, there were more new cases than there are now...they just weren't testing enough to document them. The evidence for this is in the much higher hospitalizations and deaths then vs. now.

No, I'm not talking about disease metrics. I'm talking about quality of life.

Where I live, we've gone from:

April: Most businesses closed, all restaurants closed, all schools closed, all colleges closed, people not even going to the grocery store / struggling to get a slot on instacart, people putting off all minor healthcare, all salons closed, and essentially no social interaction - all with a huge number of cases.

August: Nearly all businesses open, nearly all restaurants open for outdoor seating and takeout/delivery, most schools open in person, many colleges open in person, back to normal (except with masks) at stores, back to normal with doctors, salons opened, and lots of social interaction - all with a tiny fraction of the number of cases we had in April.

To me, yes, that's massively better. Yes, there are regions that haven't completed that transition yet, but it's not far off. Certainly not 2022.

On your comment about new cases being massively worse today, that's almost certainly not true. During the NY/NJ peak in April, there were more new cases than there are now...they just weren't testing enough to document them. The evidence for this is in the much higher hospitalizations and deaths then vs. now.
    I'm not sure if having most colleges and schools in person can be counted as a "win" yet. I'd like to see how many remain open as we get into September. Seems dominoes are falling quickly.

I also don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that restaurants, salons, stores revert to more limitations and/or closing altogether again as we creep back towards winter.

I don't want to be right about that, but I would not be even a bit surprised.

So, if we've prematurely increased quality of life for a few months, is that "better?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm not sure if having most colleges and schools in person can be counted as a "win" yet. I'd like to see how many remain open as we get into September. Seems dominoes are falling quickly.

I also don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that restaurants, salons, stores revert to more limitations and/or closing altogether again as we creep back towards winter.

I don't want to be right about that, but I would not be even a bit surprised.

So, if we've prematurely increased quality of life for a few months, is that "better?"
    Perhaps, but like i said, we’ve made all these changes while the disease has all but disappeared from this area (central New Jersey). Could it come back? Sure it could. We will see.

I struggle to understand the extent of the pessimism on this thing. Every bit of good news is constantly accompanied by “but it could get worse” or “but the bad stuff could come back”. I honestly think when things really do clear up, many people will refuse to accept it.

Perhaps, but like i said, we’ve made all these changes while the disease has all but disappeared from this area (central New Jersey). Could it come back? Sure it could. We will see.

I struggle to understand the extent of the pessimism on this thing. Every bit of good news is constantly accompanied by “but it could get worse” or “but the bad stuff could come back”. I honestly think when things really do clear up, many people will refuse to accept it.
    People in this area (Western NC) who o talk to in public education or college education are just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Everyone seems to agree that it's just a matter of time (and tuition) until things to back to virtual.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    People in this area (Western NC) who o talk to in public education or college education are just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Everyone seems to agree that it's just a matter of time (and tuition) until things to back to virtual.
    Interesting. I don't think the Duke administration agrees (I know not Western NC). If they do, then they are doing a masterful job of lying to us parents...

If you switch the view to US from global here, I think the reason that you're seeing things differently than others stands out pretty clearly:

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNmViYjg0ZjgtYzZmNC00ZmY1LWEyNjItODI 1OGEwYmYwNTM2IiwidCI6ImMxMzZlZWMwLWZlOTItNDVlMC1iZ WFlLTQ2OTg0OTczZTIzMiIsImMiOjF9

New York, New Jersey, and the rest of the Northeast are an island of progress in a sea of...less progress.

Interesting. I don't think the Duke administration agrees (I know not Western NC). If they do, then they are doing a masterful job of lying to us parents...
    Or they may be playing with different demographics. So many variables, including student body size, number of students on campus, what the Greek scene is like, how many rules are being enforced, if at all.

All I know is those folks throwing stones at UNC for going remote might be looking silly in just a few short weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    If you switch the view to US from global here, I think the reason that you're seeing things differently than others stands out pretty clearly:

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...IzMiIsImMiOjF9

New York, New Jersey, and the rest of the Northeast are an island of progress in a sea of...less progress.
    Yeah, but NY/NJ and the Northeast had it worse than the current hotspots. While people claim that the Northeast has experienced "progress" caused by compliance and good behavior, I don't believe that to be true. I think it's just time shifted. That's essentially my point here. The behaviors got worse and the numbers got better. That cannot be explained by the commonly told story that the NE is better behaved.

C'mon, there's a whole 'nother thread where you can do your COVID politicking.

Meanwhile, the center track of both hurricanes are now over New Orleans. One scheduled for Tuesday, one for Wednesday. This is unprecedented by many orders of magnitude.

And asteroids.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    0.41% would normally give me comfort...but it's 2020.

The data that should give comfort is the 6.5 feet. Yeah, it'll leave a crater, but it's not like it would cause an ice age or anything. It would suck to under it, of course, but odds are good nobody will be, even if it hits. If not, meh.

About the odds of being audited by the IRS. So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    About the odds of being audited by the IRS. So there's that.
    "Never tell me the odds!" - Han Solo