Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can we just move to 2021 right now?

Unprecedented. If tracks hold, 2 hurricanes will hit the U.S. within a few hours of each other, within a few hundred miles of each other. And they are also the earliest named storms ever, so I hope FEMA has lots of money stockpiled.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...ropical-storms

2020 cannot end soon enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Unprecedented. If tracks hold, 2 hurricanes will hit the U.S. within a few hours of each other, within a few hundred miles of each other. And they are also the earliest named storms ever, so I hope FEMA has lots of money stockpiled.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane...ropical-storms

2020 cannot end soon enough for me.
    I wanna see the 2021 trailer first before I buy my ticket ....
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I wanna see the 2021 trailer first before I buy my ticket ...
    I'm with you!

Word. We're just a Sharknado away from closing up shop and moving to the shelter.

Ditto! I am all for 2021 being the most boring and uneventful year in history.

Yep

Agreed. Maybe skip to 2022, but I don’t know if that will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    SP22 is the first academic semester I have any remaining hope for. People are still in denial about how bad this is going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    SP22 is the first academic semester I have any remaining hope for. People are still in denial about how bad this is going to get.
    Man, you and my son. He's all in on avoiding most outings other than the grocery store. Hard core fatalist. He's been spot on so far.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Man, you and my son. He's all in on avoiding most outings other than the grocery store. Hard core fatalist. He's been spot on so far.
    Been reading too many of those young adult dystopian books that are all the rage?

Didn't Nostradamus predict all this?

Maybe 2020 is not so bad after all. Something good just happened. Can we just move to January 20, 2021 right now, though?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Maybe 2020 is not so bad after all. Something good just happened. Can we just move to January 20, 2021 right now, though?
    Uh no i turn 50 on that day id like to delay it .

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Uh no i turn 50 on that day id like to delay it .
    Would you prefer the alternative?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Would you prefer the alternative?
    No i want to live.but im not rushing age
    . It arrives quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    August, 2020 is already massively better than April, 2020. Why wouldn’t things continue to improve? By 2022??

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    August, 2020 is already massively better than April, 2020. Why wouldn’t things continue to improve? By 2022??
    Massively? w/r/t deaths, OK, but daily new cases are massively worse, and we may be at the start of them getting a lot worse with schools.

Plus, as noted many times, death isn't the only bad outcome of covid-19.

By 2022, sure, I'm optimistic, but I don't think it's accurate to paint a picture of a situation that is improving across all relevant metrics.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Massively? w/r/t deaths, OK, but daily new cases are massively worse, and we may be at the start of them getting a lot worse with schools.

Plus, as noted many times, death isn't the only bad outcome of covid-19.

By 2022, sure, I'm optimistic, but I don't think it's accurate to paint a picture of a situation that is improving across all relevant metrics.
    No, I'm not talking about disease metrics. I'm talking about quality of life.

Where I live, we've gone from:

April: Most businesses closed, all restaurants closed, all schools closed, all colleges closed, people not even going to the grocery store / struggling to get a slot on instacart, people putting off all minor healthcare, all salons closed, and essentially no social interaction - all with a huge number of cases.

August: Nearly all businesses open, nearly all restaurants open for outdoor seating and takeout/delivery, most schools open in person, many colleges open in person, back to normal (except with masks) at stores, back to normal with doctors, salons opened, and lots of social interaction - all with a tiny fraction of the number of cases we had in April.

To me, yes, that's massively better. Yes, there are regions that haven't completed that transition yet, but it's not far off. Certainly not 2022.

On your comment about new cases being massively worse today, that's almost certainly not true. During the NY/NJ peak in April, there were more new cases than there are now...they just weren't testing enough to document them. The evidence for this is in the much higher hospitalizations and deaths then vs. now.

No, I'm not talking about disease metrics. I'm talking about quality of life.

Where I live, we've gone from:

April: Most businesses closed, all restaurants closed, all schools closed, all colleges closed, people not even going to the grocery store / struggling to get a slot on instacart, people putting off all minor healthcare, all salons closed, and essentially no social interaction - all with a huge number of cases.

August: Nearly all businesses open, nearly all restaurants open for outdoor seating and takeout/delivery, most schools open in person, many colleges open in person, back to normal (except with masks) at stores, back to normal with doctors, salons opened, and lots of social interaction - all with a tiny fraction of the number of cases we had in April.

To me, yes, that's massively better. Yes, there are regions that haven't completed that transition yet, but it's not far off. Certainly not 2022.

On your comment about new cases being massively worse today, that's almost certainly not true. During the NY/NJ peak in April, there were more new cases than there are now...they just weren't testing enough to document them. The evidence for this is in the much higher hospitalizations and deaths then vs. now.
    I'm not sure if having most colleges and schools in person can be counted as a "win" yet. I'd like to see how many remain open as we get into September. Seems dominoes are falling quickly.

I also don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that restaurants, salons, stores revert to more limitations and/or closing altogether again as we creep back towards winter.

I don't want to be right about that, but I would not be even a bit surprised.

So, if we've prematurely increased quality of life for a few months, is that "better?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm not sure if having most colleges and schools in person can be counted as a "win" yet. I'd like to see how many remain open as we get into September. Seems dominoes are falling quickly.

I also don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that restaurants, salons, stores revert to more limitations and/or closing altogether again as we creep back towards winter.

I don't want to be right about that, but I would not be even a bit surprised.

So, if we've prematurely increased quality of life for a few months, is that "better?"
    Perhaps, but like i said, we’ve made all these changes while the disease has all but disappeared from this area (central New Jersey). Could it come back? Sure it could. We will see.

I struggle to understand the extent of the pessimism on this thing. Every bit of good news is constantly accompanied by “but it could get worse” or “but the bad stuff could come back”. I honestly think when things really do clear up, many people will refuse to accept it.

Perhaps, but like i said, we’ve made all these changes while the disease has all but disappeared from this area (central New Jersey). Could it come back? Sure it could. We will see.

I struggle to understand the extent of the pessimism on this thing. Every bit of good news is constantly accompanied by “but it could get worse” or “but the bad stuff could come back”. I honestly think when things really do clear up, many people will refuse to accept it.
    People in this area (Western NC) who o talk to in public education or college education are just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Everyone seems to agree that it's just a matter of time (and tuition) until things to back to virtual.