Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Terms like “100 year x” have basis in the science: https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/w...center_objects

Like a lot of highly complex topics, they may often be misinterpreted or misunderstood by commentators and the average member of the public.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Terms like “100 year x” have basis in the science: https://www.usgs.gov/special-topic/w...center_objects

Like a lot of highly complex topics, they may often be misinterpreted or misunderstood by commentators and the average member of the public.
    That's not particularly complex, nor is it hard to understand. Its exactly what I would have expected it to be.

I really thought if there was anything in the history of DBR we might all agree on, it would be that we all hate 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I really thought if there was anything in the history of DBR we might all agree on, it would be that we all hate 2020.
    You would not be able to get a unanimous poll, though.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You would not be able to get a unanimous poll, though.
    2020 wasn't all bad. NC State was the ACC Tournament Champion as defined by the highest seeded team to win a game in the ACCT.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    2020 wasn't all bad. NC State was the ACC Tournament Champion as defined by the highest seeded team to win a game in the ACCT.
    UNC finished in last place in the ACC. That offsets a lot of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My main memory of 2020 is

tre.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    If NCSU had any UNC in them, they'd be ordering rings for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    UNC finished in last place in the ACC. That offsets a lot of crap.
    Yes, it turns out that 2020 will go down as a very good year indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    If only I had a $1 for every time I've heard about the worst storm ever, worst storm in 100 years, 100 year flood, etc...
    And that was just last year. 😄🥱😎

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    If NCSU had any UNC in them, they'd be ordering rings for the team.
    Thankfully, we don't and only a few hardcore fanatics, such as myself, are foolish enough to make any such claim.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    If only I had a $1 for every time I've heard about the worst storm ever, worst storm in 100 years, 100 year flood, etc...
    I think most of the time the claims are literally true; it's up to the viewer to discern whether the superlative is relevant, and how.

Back in 1986 Duke basketball went 37-2 before falling to Louisville in the title game. At that time, no other team had won so many games in a season. So at the University Store in the Bryan Center, rather than NCAA Champs t-shirts (after going 1-1 on the Final Four weekend, rather than 2-0), we had a t-shirt celebrating "the winningest team in history". (college, NCAA Div I, men, basketball, one season, etc).

So, literally true, as far as those qualifiers go. Of course we'd have rather had the NCAA title and that 38th win could have been a nice afterthought.

In short, getting back to weather, they're selling the sizzle, not the steak. With Hurricane Laura, if Professor Wikipedia is to be believed, it's (tied for) the strongest to make landfall in LA, measured by sustained winds. Is that the most relevant thing? IDK, but since it beats out Katrina on that measure, I have to wonder. Maybe sustained winds aren't everything. Just like most wins in a season.

Back in 1986 Duke basketball went 37-2 before falling to Louisville in the title game. At that time, no other team had won so many games in a season. So at the University Store in the Bryan Center, rather than NCAA Champs t-shirts (after going 1-1 on the Final Four weekend, rather than 2-0), we had a t-shirt celebrating "the winningest team in history". (college, NCAA Div I, men, basketball, one season, etc).
    I saw a guy with a t-shirt that said DUKE 1986 NCAA CHAMPS on the front. On the back it said I LEFT THE GAME AT HALFTIME.

This was the strongest hurricane to landfall in Louisiana since 1856. Pooh pooh that if it makes you feel good, but that's the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    This was the strongest hurricane to landfall in Louisiana since 1856. Pooh pooh that if it makes you feel good, but that's the fact.
    Who did the measuring in 1856 of which you speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Who did the measuring in 1856 of which you speak?
    IDK, but anemometers were around then. Similar to a windmill - they spin around, I guess they can be calibrated by how fast they are spinning. Analog stuff.

IDK, but anemometers were around then. Similar to a windmill - they spin around, I guess they can be calibrated by how fast they are spinning. Analog stuff.
    "Anemometers. The Unplugged Years. A Boxed Set."

And barometers, too.

-jk

Just another reason...

A 194-year-old apple tree, the matriarch of the Northwest apple industry, has died

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/22/us/ol...=pocket-newtab

Hurricane Hunters