Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I prefer to be original, but yeah, Tatum is the comp that came to mind. Paolo is a very skilled young player at this point, and bigger and more physically developed than Tatum was in college.

Paolo should be dynamite in the high post, and teams will have to also guard Mark Williams close to the basket. Let's hope our shooters can take advantage of what should be some great opportunities.
    Watching his current brilliance, it's easy to forget that Tatum did not have an otherworldly season at Duke. He missed a bunch of games at the beginning of the season with a foot injury. He averaged 16.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per game, shooting 45.2 percent from the field and 34.2 on 3s. He hit 84.9 from the line. He had 14 more turnovers than assists. He was third-team All-ACC and lost the ACC FOY award to Dennis Smith. Part of that is a result of having to get up to speed after returning from that injury and he definitely played better than that down the stretch. But in the aggregate, Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, Marvin Bagley, R.J. Barrett and Zion all played better at Duke. Duke is going to need something more like Parker's 19 and 9 or Bagley's 21 and 11, IMO, next season from Banchero.

Then he can go to the NBA and be more like Tatum.

I realize you may be talking more style than stats. But Tatum was a 3 who played up. Banchero looks like a 4 who could play 5. Seems more Bagley than Tatum, to me at least. Let's not forget how good Marvin Bagley was at Duke. I would love for Banchero to play at that level next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Watching his current brilliance, it's easy to forget that Tatum did not have an otherworldly season at Duke. He missed a bunch of games at the beginning of the season with a foot injury. He averaged 16.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per game, shooting 45.2 percent from the field and 34.2 on 3s. He hit 84.9 from the line. He had 14 more turnovers than assists. He was third-team All-ACC and lost the ACC FOY award to Dennis Smith. Part of that is a result of having to get up to speed after returning from that injury and he definitely played better than that down the stretch. But in the aggregate, Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, Marvin Bagley, R.J. Barrett and Zion all played better at Duke. Duke is going to need something more like Parker's 19 and 9 or Bagley's 21 and 11, IMO, next season from Banchero.

I realize you may be talking more style than stats. But Tatum was a 3 who played up. Banchero looks like a 4 who could play 5. Seems more Bagley than Tatum, to me at least. Let's not forget how good Marvin Bagley was at Duke. I would love for Banchero to play at that level next season.

Well said, not much to add.

Jim, IIRC, Tatum seemed to come on quite a bit toward the end of the season. I remember Dan Patrick interviewing Doug Gottlieb after Selection Sunday, and they both talked about/acknowledged how Tatum was the best player on the floor in one or two games during our run in the ACC Tournament.

Is that consistent with what you recall?

A Bagley type season leading the ACC in scoring and rebounding with 21 points and 11 rebounds per game? Yeah, that would be fine.

I'm guessing that Paolo will play more away from the basket than Bagley did. As Coach K might say, great players have their own game. Can't wait to see young Mr. Banchero.

Yes, I was comparing his shotmaking style to Tatum. I expect he will be a threat all over the floor. Great foot work and body control. A silky smooth shot. But he’s also got more size and skill to bang inside than Tatum. I’d expect freshman numbers closer to Bagley although big Mark might snatch away some of those rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post

Jim, IIRC, Tatum seemed to come on quite a bit toward the end of the season. I remember Dan Patrick interviewing Doug Gottlieb after Selection Sunday, and they both talked about/acknowledged how Tatum was the best player on the floor in one or two games during our run in the ACC Tournament.

IIRC, many on this Board lamented mid-season that Tatum was somewhat of a ball hog/black hole who dribbled too much rather than passing/moving it around.

But yes, by the ACC Tourney he was exceptional and turning into the NBA player he is today.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I still recall Tatum single-handedly destroying a very good Virginia team in Charlottesville that year. He was on fire and hit 6-7 3s including several well-contested ones late in the shot clock at the end of the game. You can see a lot of NBA Tatum in these highlights:

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I seem to remember that the Duke team kept Zion off the free weights so he wouldn't bulk up further. Functional training has become more and more popular in recent years and I expect our training staff is all over it.
    I also recall Nate James during his playing days once attributed his chronic injuries to being "over-muscled." I have to say, these are not afflictions to which I can relate.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I still recall Tatum single-handedly destroying a very good Virginia team in Charlottesville that year. He was on fire and hit 6-7 3s including several well-contested ones late in the shot clock at the end of the game. You can see a lot of NBA Tatum in these highlights:

Catching up, and I just have to say this video is worth watching just for the look on the defenders face after Tatum's shot at about the :57 mark of the video. "What else can I do?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Yes, but Tatum was the true MVP of the 2017 ACC tournament--I will always maintain he deserved that award over Kennard.

Tatum: 22 pts, 7.5 reb, 2.2 asst, 1.5 stl, .2 blk, 55% FG, 85% FT

Kennard: 20 pts, 5.2 reb, 2.2 asst, 1 stl, .7 blk, 46% FG, 86% FT

Plus Tatum made the winning plays down the stretch in the championship game--a block and coast-to-coast layup, the pass to Matt Jones for the winning basket, and the breakaway dunk to seal the game. Still don't understand how Kennard ended up with that trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Yes, but Tatum was the true MVP of the 2017 ACC tournament--I will always maintain he deserved that award over Kennard.

Tatum: 22 pts, 7.5 reb, 2.2 asst, 1.5 stl, .2 blk, 55% FG, 85% FT

Kennard: 20 pts, 5.2 reb, 2.2 asst, 1 stl, .7 blk, 46% FG, 86% FT

Plus Tatum made the winning plays down the stretch in the championship game--a block and coast-to-coast layup, the pass to Matt Jones for the winning basket, and the breakaway dunk to seal the game. Still don't understand how Kennard ended up with that trophy.
    A great 4 game run for the 5th seeded Blue Devils.

Duke 79 -- Clemson 72
    Duke 81 -- Louisville 77
    Duke 93 -- UNC 83
    Duke 75 -- Notre Dame 69

Not sure how that relates to the original thread topic (maybe young Paolo watched), but just enjoy that memory

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    A great 4 game run for the 5th seeded Blue Devils.

Duke 79 -- Clemson 72
    Duke 81 -- Louisville 77
    Duke 93 -- UNC 83
    Duke 75 -- Notre Dame 69

Not sure how that relates to the original thread topic (maybe young Paolo watched), but just enjoy that memory

That sequence when Kennard hits the 3, Giles slaps the floor, blocks the shot, then converts the alley-oop... I don't know what was better, the crowd going absolutely bananas or the reaction of our bench, seeing the guys so happy for Giles.

That team deserved a 1 seed over Carolina. We beat them 2 out of 3, won the ACC Tournament, had more Top 25 wins and Top 50 wins... they had 7 losses and we had 8 going into Selection Sunday, that was about the only thing in their favor. And IIRC, our ACC schedule was much more difficult than theirs. And all that was with roughly half our rotation missing games due to injury.

Still makes me angry when I think about it.
    Last edited by bullettoothtony; 05-19-2021 at 06:28 PM.

That sequence when Kennard hits the 3, Giles slaps the floor, blocks the shot, then converts the alley-oop... I don't know what was better, the crowd going absolutely bananas or the reaction of our bench, seeing the guys so happy for Giles.

That team deserved a 1 seed over Carolina. We beat them 2 out of 3, won the ACC Tournament, had more Top 25 wins and Top 50 wins... they had 7 losses and we had 8 going into Selection Sunday, that was about the only thing in their favor. And IIRC, our ACC schedule was much more difficult than theirs. And all that was with roughly half our rotation missing games due to injury.

Still makes me angry when I think about it.
    Ever the political animal, I blame the whole disastrous weekend in Greenville SC on the North Carolina Bathroom Bill, which led the NCAA to move the tournament from Charlotte.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I agree - those were some impressive workouts.

I seem to remember that the Duke team kept Zion off the free weights so he wouldn't bulk up further. Functional training has become more and more popular in recent years and I expect our training staff is all over it.
    Whenever I see videos of our guys in the weight room I shudder. We are usually doing some really antiquated, unnecessary exercise like barbell curls or dumbbell shoulder presses. I really hope we are doing functional training and strength training. Maybe we need some new blood on the weight room coaching staff to keep out guys from getting pushed around so much.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.